“Amazingly beautiful, private getaway!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Amazingly beautiful, private getaway!”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a girl's getaway during a recent weekend and had such an amazing time! The rooms were spacious and beautiful and the staff were wonderfully helpful. We did different kinds of spa treatments and lounged by the beautiful spa pool. I loved all the private courtyard areas within the hotel so much I think I will recommend this place for anyone I know planning a wedding.

I live in San Diego but I cannot wait to go back to the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a mini vacation!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 October 2011

It has big sprawling grounds and a fun golf course. Friendly staff. Our room had a nice standup shower, seperate tub, comfy king bed and great views of the golf course.The only downside to it is an older designed property and if someone was in a wheelchair it may be difficult to get around. My only complaint is that the AC is room 729 was also very weak.

Room Tip: Get a room in the building down from the lobby that sits on the first hole of the golf course. The r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I had the privilege of spending last weekend here celebrating with a few girlfriends, and we had a blast! I live locally in San Diego and it was such a treat to get away for the night. The service is top notch, and every staff member greets you with a smile :) The food is to die for, and the atmosphere is relaxing, beautiful, and cozy! What more can you ask for?!! I will definitely be back A LOT more often to take advantage of this local GEM and all it has to offer!!!

Escondido, California

Hello,

I was recently fortunate to visit the Inn at Rancho Bernardo for the day. The boys played golf and the girls went to the spa. The boys had a lot of golf things which were raving and good about the course, it's level of maintenance and it's (other golf stuff.) But oh...the spa. From the moment we got there, we were treated so well and with warmth, we had lunch by the pool in an awesome cabana and then the spa treatments.....I had a facial from one of the leads (I am bad with names) but she was AMAZING! The ceiling is very high in the treatment room and it was beautiful to look up and out! My skin felt like butter after the facial and it was my birthday so they gave me a lovely little gift (just like the whole day was...a gift) I will go back over and over, I live close so it's the PERFECT place for me to forget all my worries and enjoy all the wonder of Rancho Bernardo. It was an amazing day and I thank the spa staff for being so so good at what they do!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Can't say enough good things about the level of service and the people who operate this lovely mid-century revitalized resort complex that is close to San Diego but yet far enough away to make you feel like you are in the countryside. The fellow who is the General Manager obviously has done a good job of hiring young, helpful staff noticeable from the minute you arrive. Not just staff trying to be pleasant but really nice folks who made our stay memorable and who really cared about us - not just their paycheque.

Food is excellent in both the more casual Terrace Restaurant which overlooks the golf course to the formal dining room which we heard was going through a make-over shortly...but as long as the quality of the food from Chef Nic remains the same - with an emphasis on locally grown items - we can see why locals and visitors alike flock to this place for special events, meetings and a weekend getaway.

Ask for a room overlooking the golf course...quiet and close to the main building with a lovely bar area and again, outstanding service. The Spa is lovely, the golf course is a bit of an older style, resort course but playable for all levels which makes it fun because you are not constantly being punished for a bad shot. If you want a real challenge go 7-minutes up the road to Maderas Golf Course where 'target golf' abounds but green fees are pricey.

Rancho Bernardo Inn is truly a place to relax and we spent four lovely nights at the place. If you want nightlife close by then this is not the place to book, go to downtown San Diego...but if you want a great guest experience, good value for your dollar spent, comfortable surroundings and a chance to leave your car in the parking lot and just unwind, then try this resort complex and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course...it is quiet and has lovely sunsets from your private pa...
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I wish I could have stayed longer! The Rancho Bernardo Inn is a quite beautiful, quiet, and romantic place to stay. The rooms are large. You can sit back and relax with a glass of wine on the balcony and listen to the birds sing. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The many nice fountains make relaxation easy. Didn't have an opportunity to take a dip in the pool, but the area was certainly beautiful. The staff couldn't have been nicer. You will be treated like royalty! Located just a couple of miles from the Bernardo Winery where you will find the Cafe Merlot. And, oh my goodness, the food and wine are excellent! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: I didn't know to ask. I had a room with a balcony which was quite nice. The rooms with patios...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I read other reviews where this hotel double charged or wrongly charged their guests, and the guests had a terrible time getting the incorrect charges reversed.

I ignored them due to the seeming abundance of good reviews. Wow, am I ever sorry.

This place is a nightmare. Suddenly nobody knows anything (I don't have access to that, my supervisor is gone today, blah blah blah) and can't even confirm exactly what they billed to my credit card, let alone why. I show them my credit card statement and even then, they say they don't see where they billed for the charges that are clearly listed on the statement. Its like falling down the rabbit hole; zero accountability. They are incapable of doing ANYTHING but charging credit cards and then pretending like they didn't do it.

Frankly, its unbelievable. Which is why I ignored the previous reviewers who had the same problem.

Well, believe it. I travel at least 40% of the year and have *never* been subjected to the degrading run-around these con artists have going.

There are tons of places to stay in San Diego, choose somewhere else if you value your sanity and/or expect an ethical hotel management system.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank joyofjoys
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Recent Guest, I have read your review and wish to sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced. This is not our standard of service and I wish to speak to you personally about what transpired during your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at either Jgates@jcresorts.com or on my direct line 858-605-2660.

John Gates