“Beautiful oasis, top notch service”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #32 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Rafael, California
“Beautiful oasis, top notch service”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here for a business meeting. Great place for a meeting. It's a little ways off the beaten path so not sure I'd stay here on leisure, but you'd love it if you're just looking for a peaceful getaway or golf. It's not far to San Diego or beaches, just not right next door. Staff was outstanding, everyone knows your name & uses it, very well informed & friendly. Restaurants are very nice & a decent value.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Reading this review, please keep in mind I'm rating this place relative to the cost and the image they try to portray on their website. A bit of modesty could help this place have a reality check.

This place was probably nice when it opened, but it just looks tired and dated now. The website, advertising and photography portray a false image of this property as a high end luxury resort.

For the price (even though I booked on points) and cost of their restaurant, this place just doesn't cut it.

I stay in all types of places in and outside of the US for business so I'm really not that picky and try not to rate a place based on age, especially if certain items are updated and they keep the property clean. However I found that this place was just worn down.

The landscaping is abundant, but it was a bit unkempt, and it really showed in the pool area. There was debris, leaves, dead bugs, etc. all in the pool and hot tub. Keep in mind they charge most guests a "resort fee" to use these services. For a place that is supposed to be high end, they are slacking on keeping the place tidy.

I would also appreciate knowing there was a conference going on here during our stay, and furthermore being advised by the front desk. They told me about the Veranda Restaurant which we could eat at, yet they failed to tell me that a conference had a private party on the patio, so my wife and I had to eat inside when we were looking forward to relaxing on your patio by the fireplace which you so proudly display in photos on your website. Instead we come to California and have to eat dinner inside. We came here to stay in a nice place, not feel like outsiders that are relegated to certain parts of the hotel. Forewarning of amenities not available would be a good idea up front. Its the ethical thing to do. We also would have left for dinner. Good thing we only stayed one night.

In regards to Veranda, the food was "OK". It wasn't special and thus again was overpriced. For dinner for 150 bucks I could go to an abundant number of restaurants that would make this place look like Chili's. Everything was just average. Breakfast was just blah, and again overpriced. Seriously not joking, Bob Evans breakfast is just as good.. This is a common theme unfortunately with places like this, they are so pretentious that they overcharge for everything under the guise of "luxury" and hope you won't notice just how average everything is. Go have breakfast at La Valencia in La Jolla if you want to see what an expensive breakfast should taste like. They even wanted 5 bucks for half of a grapefruit. Are you kidding me? So you are charging 10 dollars for a piece of fruit? Was this grown by magic fairies in never never land?

Upon checkout the front desk was clueless on my preferred hotels points booking and tried to charge me for the stay as well as the resort fee which I was told were both covered upon my check-in. She then had to call about the rate, then tried to charge again for the resort fee, I then had to explain again that it was included per the check-in person. She took care of them but was completely zoned out and unapologetic about it.

NOW THE WORST PART!

Awful spring laden mattress that looks like its 10 years old and sleeps like a homeless shelter. My wife and I both woke up with sore backs. It bounces like a trampoline. The pillows were also terrible. Stiff and hard. Then, to make matters worse, you have some type of pad under the bottom sheet but its only queen sized?? so it doesn't fit, bunches up and you can feel it around your feet. Then you put a top sheet over the mattress that isn't even tucked in? Seriouisly the mattrress was exposed!! You don't even have a fitted sheet or a washable matress pad? Disgusting.. You can't have a quality resort and try to pretend its a relaxing place with beds this crappy. I just couldn't believe it. All we could do is laugh because it was so bad. And I travel about 33% of the year for business. I'm really not that picky normally, but this is supposed to be a high end place. I've stayed in Comfort Inn's with better beds than this. Hampton Inn's have more consistent bedding, perhaps your management team should stay in a Hampton to learn a bit about a decent bed, and Hampton isn't even close to luxury. At the least it would be an upgrade. Looking at other reviews, I'm not the first to mention it.

For this alone I give this place 1 Star and would never go back. If you have to make a list of the top five things essential to a relaxing hotel, you have to include a nice bed. Guests should wake up feeling refreshed and revived, not with aching backs. My wife and I were even joking that they probably have bad beds to drive more business to the Spa for a massage! If the beds were decent I would have gave it three stars.

Would never return or recommend to others.

Room Tip: who knows, don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BabaBooeyStern
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest, I am also disappointed to hear about the lack of service and information you encountered during your stay at the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

I will be personally reviewing these items with our department managers to ensure proper training and follow-up is addressed, as this is not up to our standards.

Thank you for taking the time to share these details. We would love to have another opportunity to have you as our guest and experience our services and amenities that we are noted for.
Please contact me at 858-605-2660 or jgates@jcresorts.com.

John Gates
Monroe, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We went here for a meeting that lasted three days. I travel a lot and am spoiled by nice clean rooms. This place stunk of oldness, dust and mold. We would not wait to leave. The beds were very comfy. Too far away from everything! It is very pretty but we will never go back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Ms. Sherry, we are apologize that your guest room was not to your liking. We would be happy to talk to you about your stay from last year; please contact Maureen Carew, Assistant General Manager. She can be reached at 858-605-2663.

Thank you.
Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager
Texas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just retuned from a business - vacation trip to the San Diego area. This resort had beautiful grounds and golf course. The staff were very friendly and professonal. The negatives would be...the location, it was 15 - 20 miles to downtown and the harbor. The rooms were nice but PRICY. Over all a very nice experience.

• Stayed April 2012
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Always first class service all around from banquets to spa, all personnel smile and great guests and are willing to help at every level. The grounds are beautifully kept and offer tranquil gardens for relaxation. Eclectic and well thought out entertainment in the Veranda restaurant.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, Ca
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We spent one night at the Rancho Bernardo Inn on a stay and play package. We were given a lovely room overlooking the golf course. The room was large and very comfortable. The room has a small refrigerator .There was a cheese plate and small bottle of wine awaiting our arrival.

The bellman stored our golf clubs and they were ready for us for an early morning tee time. My husband and I were able to play on our own and got around the course in 4 hours and 15 minutes. We were never pushed nor were we held up on any hole. The course is interesting and in fabulous shape.

We liked the bar and the barman was very friendly. Our only disappointment in our stay was the Veranda Restaurant. We found the menu uninteresting. The minimum price for a bottle of wine is $45 and from there it jumped to $65. A bit steep for a casual restaurant.

I would definitely stay here again for a quick get-a-way. It's a bit isloted to stay more than a couple of days but is very relaxing and well maintained. I would definitely recommend it to couiples who like to golf (although I did not see any other women on the golf course) as a relaxing, romantic outing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peggymack
shawnee
Reviewed 15 April 2012

A total surprise. Our daughter is going through a difficult time and lives here. Dad and I are always entertained by her and it was our turn to surprise and take care of her. We live in Kansas and googled and found this wonderful off the beaten path place. I will recommend to all. Steve what a guy. The idea of a wine tour with limo. yay!!!!!! We had one of the best times of our lives. Forever a memory and one we will repeat in person. Thanks to all. STEVE!!!!!

Room Tip: no view is not bad. very quiet and serene.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family