“Excellent Staff”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I was trying to look for a nice place to stay after or wedding night so I called this hotel first, they were booked on our wedding night, but the following night was open so I decided to book that night instead. The lady on the phone gave us a free room upgrade to the "Premium Resort King Golf View" because we were celebrating our wedding.

I thought the hotel room was very clean and the room was big and comfortable. The staff was my favorite part of the stay as everyone was so helpful. We left our room during the early evening at one point and when we returned to the room they had left us complementary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries with a congratulations card.

I did not get the chance to try the spa or the restaurant during our stay, but when we go back I will definitely need to get a massage!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,094)

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for most of a week, my first time visit. I travel frequently for work so I have stayed at many top hotels and resorts frequently (as a top Marriott / Starwood rewards member), but Rancho Bernardo Inn stands out in my mind as one of the top places I have had the pleasure to stay at.

The lobby area is very cozy and quaint, and the rooms are simply stunning. There are plenty of marble counter tops and great wood shutters, all the better to enjoy the very cozy room or to open up and enjoy the stunning views of the golf course. I telecommute for work so I needed a high speed internet connection to attend remote webex meetings and phone calls. The internet connection is blazingly fast, far faster than my Marriott / Westin hotels I frequent.

The staff is second to none. Everyone is so friendly and warm, and every where I walked (all over the property), I felt completely at home, with all of my needs and wants met.

I also enjoyed the spa facilities, and I did not want to leave the facilities at the end of the day. The spa staff is fantastic, and they really made sure I had every need met. Not only did I enjoy the deep tissue massage, but I also loved the indoor and outdoor jacuzzi and pool areas as well.

This was my first stay at RBI, and I really didn't know what to expect since it's so unique and different from my usual Marriott / Starwood stays. Simply put the staff, the hotel, the golf course and scenery, the food, the spa blew me away. I loved my stay so much I was actually very sad to leave and check out. I will definitely be back and would highly recommend this resort to any of my friends / family for a relaxing week / weekend, or for business meetings / work.

If you are looking to stay here, take it from a top road-warrior, I love this property, and so will you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent, but I particularly enjoyed the golf course views, but there are no bad...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We live in San Diego and the kids, all 4, had their own getaways one certain weekend. This never happens! My husband and I were looking for a getaway that we could get to easily on a Friday afternoon in the crazy commute that wouldn't take an eternity. I'd never been to the RBI and the website looked inviting. I phoned and got a fabulous spa package.
The property was sold out when we arrived Friday and we were put in the Fountain Building on the 3rd floor above the A/C unit. During the day its fine when you close your door but at night you hear the roar of the fan circulating. This was over our A/C unit in the room which itself was very loud. It did stop working our Saturday night stay. Thankfully we were on the 3rd floor and able to sleep with our screen door open. And thankfully our bed was remarkably comfortable.
The spa is lovely and I was given a wonderful massage by Sherry. The ladies working in the spa were gracious and welcoming. The steam/ jacuzzi area need a bit more care. There were washcloths to wipe your face, in a bowl, but with no ice. All the trash cans were overflowing.
The spa pool was remarkably relaxing. There too the bar ladies were kind and expedient.
I have to say overall the service at this property, from Paul in reservations, to Paul and Camille in the restaurant, really everywhere you went, the employees there seem to enjoy their work.
While the property itself needs renovating, the grounds and employees make it a welcoming getaway for anyone who just needs a break.

Room Tip: Let them know you don't want to be roomed in the Fountain Building
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here for a business meeting. Great place for a meeting. It's a little ways off the beaten path so not sure I'd stay here on leisure, but you'd love it if you're just looking for a peaceful getaway or golf. It's not far to San Diego or beaches, just not right next door. Staff was outstanding, everyone knows your name & uses it, very well informed & friendly. Restaurants are very nice & a decent value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Reading this review, please keep in mind I'm rating this place relative to the cost and the image they try to portray on their website. A bit of modesty could help this place have a reality check.

This place was probably nice when it opened, but it just looks tired and dated now. The website, advertising and photography portray a false image of this property as a high end luxury resort.

For the price (even though I booked on points) and cost of their restaurant, this place just doesn't cut it.

I stay in all types of places in and outside of the US for business so I'm really not that picky and try not to rate a place based on age, especially if certain items are updated and they keep the property clean. However I found that this place was just worn down.

The landscaping is abundant, but it was a bit unkempt, and it really showed in the pool area. There was debris, leaves, dead bugs, etc. all in the pool and hot tub. Keep in mind they charge most guests a "resort fee" to use these services. For a place that is supposed to be high end, they are slacking on keeping the place tidy.

I would also appreciate knowing there was a conference going on here during our stay, and furthermore being advised by the front desk. They told me about the Veranda Restaurant which we could eat at, yet they failed to tell me that a conference had a private party on the patio, so my wife and I had to eat inside when we were looking forward to relaxing on your patio by the fireplace which you so proudly display in photos on your website. Instead we come to California and have to eat dinner inside. We came here to stay in a nice place, not feel like outsiders that are relegated to certain parts of the hotel. Forewarning of amenities not available would be a good idea up front. Its the ethical thing to do. We also would have left for dinner. Good thing we only stayed one night.

In regards to Veranda, the food was "OK". It wasn't special and thus again was overpriced. For dinner for 150 bucks I could go to an abundant number of restaurants that would make this place look like Chili's. Everything was just average. Breakfast was just blah, and again overpriced. Seriously not joking, Bob Evans breakfast is just as good.. This is a common theme unfortunately with places like this, they are so pretentious that they overcharge for everything under the guise of "luxury" and hope you won't notice just how average everything is. Go have breakfast at La Valencia in La Jolla if you want to see what an expensive breakfast should taste like. They even wanted 5 bucks for half of a grapefruit. Are you kidding me? So you are charging 10 dollars for a piece of fruit? Was this grown by magic fairies in never never land?

Upon checkout the front desk was clueless on my preferred hotels points booking and tried to charge me for the stay as well as the resort fee which I was told were both covered upon my check-in. She then had to call about the rate, then tried to charge again for the resort fee, I then had to explain again that it was included per the check-in person. She took care of them but was completely zoned out and unapologetic about it.

NOW THE WORST PART!

Awful spring laden mattress that looks like its 10 years old and sleeps like a homeless shelter. My wife and I both woke up with sore backs. It bounces like a trampoline. The pillows were also terrible. Stiff and hard. Then, to make matters worse, you have some type of pad under the bottom sheet but its only queen sized?? so it doesn't fit, bunches up and you can feel it around your feet. Then you put a top sheet over the mattress that isn't even tucked in? Seriouisly the mattrress was exposed!! You don't even have a fitted sheet or a washable matress pad? Disgusting.. You can't have a quality resort and try to pretend its a relaxing place with beds this crappy. I just couldn't believe it. All we could do is laugh because it was so bad. And I travel about 33% of the year for business. I'm really not that picky normally, but this is supposed to be a high end place. I've stayed in Comfort Inn's with better beds than this. Hampton Inn's have more consistent bedding, perhaps your management team should stay in a Hampton to learn a bit about a decent bed, and Hampton isn't even close to luxury. At the least it would be an upgrade. Looking at other reviews, I'm not the first to mention it.

For this alone I give this place 1 Star and would never go back. If you have to make a list of the top five things essential to a relaxing hotel, you have to include a nice bed. Guests should wake up feeling refreshed and revived, not with aching backs. My wife and I were even joking that they probably have bad beds to drive more business to the Spa for a massage! If the beds were decent I would have gave it three stars.

Would never return or recommend to others.

Room Tip: who knows, don't stay here.
2  Thank BabaBooeyStern
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest, I am also disappointed to hear about the lack of service and information you encountered during your stay at the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

I will be personally reviewing these items with our department managers to ensure proper training and follow-up is addressed, as this is not up to our standards.

Thank you for taking the time to share these details. We would love to have another opportunity to have you as our guest and experience our services and amenities that we are noted for.
Please contact me at 858-605-2660 or jgates@jcresorts.com.

John Gates

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We went here for a meeting that lasted three days. I travel a lot and am spoiled by nice clean rooms. This place stunk of oldness, dust and mold. We would not wait to leave. The beds were very comfy. Too far away from everything! It is very pretty but we will never go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Ms. Sherry, we are apologize that your guest room was not to your liking. We would be happy to talk to you about your stay from last year; please contact Maureen Carew, Assistant General Manager. She can be reached at 858-605-2663.

Thank you.
Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just retuned from a business - vacation trip to the San Diego area. This resort had beautiful grounds and golf course. The staff were very friendly and professonal. The negatives would be...the location, it was 15 - 20 miles to downtown and the harbor. The rooms were nice but PRICY. Over all a very nice experience.

• Stayed: April 2012