We stayed at this hotel two times during the first week of August in 2012.
First off this hotel property is quite far out from any attractions one might want to visit in San Diego. We stayed here because of the reviews. Other hotels in San Diego proper can be very overpriced and worse have bed bugs. Neither issue did we have here.
Be aware that this hotel charges a resort fee; in August 2012 it was $19.00 a day. The parking lot is large and is shared with the golf course that surrounds much of the property. You may have a bit of a walk from your car if you choose to self-park and the lot is full.
The lobby presents very well and was clean. The doormen were always present and greeted us politely.
Our first room was located on the laundry room side of the hotel as well as the children’s pool and we had to be moved immediately because the room was vibrating from the industrial dryers running below. We were moved very promptly to another room down the hall which did not have the vibrating issue. We slept well there until the early morning hotel deliveries started and we had to listen to the trucks backing in and out. I was less than pleased and mentioned it upon check out. Just because I am traveling with a child and a teenager does mean I should be stowed in the worst room on the property.
Lucky for them we had a much better experience with our second stay. Otherwise this review would be rated much lower.
Our second stay during that week- we took a two day break for LA and then returned- was in a different building and was a totally different experience. The room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. One nice feature was the extra sink located outside the bathroom. This allowed more than one person to get ready to go in the mornings.
Also in the room was a fridge so that I was able to keep juice and yogurt for snacks.
There are three swimming pools on this property- none of which could I find a photo of on their web site. All the pools are gated and well maintained. There is a children’s or family pool where they also show movies, and roast marshmallows for an additional fee charged to your room on some evenings (the pool is free, just the extras cost).
The adult’s only pool is large and well maintained. It was a relief to have a separate place to swim where as an adult I don't have to be concerned with children at play.
The third pool really should be on their web site. It is located next to their spa and is for spa patron’s use only. It is photo perfect as you stand at the top of the stairs looking down the hill towards a large gated blue swimming pool.
The property is very big and has lots of paths to walk along to get you around. Be aware that you are out away from most of the city. There are all kinds of critters roaming the grounds: wild rabbits, a family skunks, lizards, and other animals I heard but did not see. Also there is a healthy population of crickets around the pool in the late evening.
The fitness center is small but the equipment is in good condition. It is located next to the spa.
You have to walk a good distance to get to the spa/fitness building but it is a pleasant walk in the evening.
They have a small shop that sells coffee and pastry in the early morning. There is a restaurant on property but we did not opt to dine there during our stay.
One thing to note for asthma/allergy sufferers is the open burning in the fire places. The fumes can get quite thick and heavy in the air. The fumes did not get into our rooms but I could not spend any time in the lobby in the evening because of it.
The drive to most attractions is 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. There is a grocery store on the main road before you turn off towards the hotel. We stayed here because I wanted a clean, quiet place to rest in the evenings. The hotel is good condition since it dates from what appears to be the 1960's.
If I have to return to San Diego I would stay here again if I could not find accommodations in La Jolla.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in San Diego, Rancho Bernardo Inn offers business and leisure guests an experience that is both peaceful and rejuvenating. A member of the distinguished Preferred Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Rancho Bernardo Inn is a destination resort known for its exquisite golf, spa facilities, and exceptional cuisine. A true destination for the entire family, the 265-acre property features 287 luxuriously appointed guestrooms, three swimming pools, an award-winning full-service spa and fitness center, multiple dining outlets, room service or in-room dining, and extensive meeting and event facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Preferred Hotels, Priceline, Booking.com, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Rancho Bernardo Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Bernardo Hotel San Diego
- Rancho Bernardo San Diego