“Place for Work and Play”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Place for Work and Play”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It is not a coastal front property. It does not havethat idyllic scenic views from your guest room. Nor is it convenient to get to. But what Rancho Bernardo Inn does have is its sense of presence. It is surrounded by a park-like setting all thanks to a challenging golf course; artful aesthetics…beautiful fountains…manicured landscapes; a true getaway and a unique place for inspiration, which is what I was seeking to host a 3-day business conference.

Many have told me great things about this resort. My visit on March 22, I too discovered what others have shared, that Rancho Bernardo Inn is beautiful. It’s located at about a good 40 minute drive from the San Diego airport; however that was through uncongested traffic, 30 minutes north to the Wild Animal Park, and about 30 minutes west to the coast line. The resort sits on many acres that are easy to navigate. The facilities are not too far to get to and all with the presence of privacy even when the Inn is bustling.

Registration was extremely efficient. Every hotel staff member I met was happy to help. Most of the rooms here are called guest room category with views of a pool, resort walkways or a courtyard. I was assigned room #610 which is the next category up, an executive deluxe room -- more spacious and well-appointed featuring a patio walkout with views of the golf course’s lush fairways and a convenient walk to the Inn’s lovely spa and its outdoor pools. However, I noticed that all the rooms are in muted colors and lacked lack the details when it comes to maintaining like finding black marks on the walls and the dated bathroom fixtures.

The spa may have many treatment rooms, but the facility is smaller than other resort spas I’ve been to in the area, like their co-ed relaxation room which only has upright chairs…not much of relaxation. I found more comfort at the spas outdoor hot tub area. I did have time to get a facial and the service was delightful – no complaints on style or products used. During my stay a golf tournament was taking place, hosted by a local company. Although I am not a golfer, I can see that the participants were pleased and excited to play their round! And I like that this Inn had two large pool areas; one for adults only and the other for families.

Breakfast alfresco! My favorite! I enjoyed a yummy traditional American breakfast sitting at the patio of their Veranda Restaurant; the Inn’s main restaurant serving throughout the day. During my visit, their second restaurant Avant is being fully remodeled and scheduled to reopen this June 2013. I’ve heard great things about the restaurant from the locals and it hadn’t even opened yet!

The ambiance caters to the discerning traveler – casual yet refined, a perfect place for work and play. I will return along with my golf enthusiast who will appreciate it most!

Room Tip: The executive deluxe rooms are worth the additional difference in price.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Margie O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We came for a two night stay. The food was fantastic, the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were wonderful. In addition, the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Room was very nice and well appointed. There were many cozy seating areas all throughout the grounds. And a Starbucks, YES. Can't wait to return. Loved eating out on the patio.

Joy

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Placentia, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hotel is very nice and we had very comfortable stay. Hotel rooms are big enough, clean with good size balcony. Location is very calm and picturesque with golf course views, fireplace outside restaurants. There are sitting places around hotel lobby for relaxing and reading books, solve puzzle and play cards. There are two swimming pools on property which we really liked it. There is also on site spa which is very nice.

Room Tip: Stay in room near swimming pool in Santiago area or book room near Gardens area for Golf course view...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I recently stayed here with my wife and son, we had a suite overlooking the backside of the hotel. Not only was the room in impeccable shape and not a towel or blanket out of place, but from the second our tires touched the parking lot we were greeted by the bellman immediately, bags carried and a high five for my son. The front desk seemed amazingly happy to be there and check us in, and from the restaurant to the golf course, to the spa and pool, everyone on that staff had smiles and hellos for every guest. Well done RB Inn, we will be back, and very soon.

• Stayed March 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This was a random stay for me. I had actually pricelined a hotel in this area and I was so surprised that I landed a gem.

I felt like I was at a fancy resort on vacation, I was just visiting my boyfriends parents that weekend.

The cabana's by the pool made it extra special. The grounds are beautiful. Golf Courses, lush plants and a little creek that runs through the hotel.

The best part was the room. It had terra cotta roofs, like a bunglow, wait i think it was a bunglow. Beautiful balcony with double doors. The bed was angled perfectly to the best view. Palm and Eucalyptus tree's, moonlight and a cool SD breeze.

This place was one of my favorites.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank muneeramb
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 April 2013

As a frequent visitor of many hotels and spas I have become very opinionated about service and experience.

Each visit to the RB Inn has been exceptional, flawless, warm and professional and it keeps me coming back.

The staff from the valet, to the hostesses, waiters and the cleaning people always have a smile on their face and you can tell they enjoy their job and the company they work for. As a result it reflects int he service they provide and the way they make their guests feel.

Good job! Keep it up and continue to set the bar for all of the others to reach.

Room Tip: Never go without having a spa treatment here, it is the icing on the cake.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
San Diego
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I had an absolutely wonderful visit to the Rancho Bernardo Inn a few week's back. The room was really pristine and the golf course view was amazing. I booked a bungalow at the spa and enjoyed the quiet, private spa pool and it was really memorable. They have a new spa menu with excellent food and bar choices and it made the visit so easy and relaxing. The spa itself is one of my favorite in Southern California as it is peaceful, has all the amenities, excellent therapists and the private salt water pool/jacuzzi allows you to get away mentally. I will be back for sure and recommend it to anyone looking for a getaway.

Room Tip: I have experienced most buildings and all have been great. I am a return visitor :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#44 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!