“At the end of a Residential Street”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Irvine, California
“At the end of a Residential Street”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Golf Course: 5 Stars
Quality of Service: 4 Stars
Friendliness of Employees: 4 Stars
Location of the Resort: 2 Stars

Rancho Bernardo Inn is just over a mile from the 15 freeway. It has a huge golf course on the property as well. The hotel is in a bit of an odd location though, as you exit the freeway you drive through a residential neighborhood (Bernardo oaks Drive) and the Inn is located at the end of the drive. Kind of an odd place to be at. Its quite hidden but looks like a lot of people know about this little hidden gem. The floor plan is divided into sections with names such as Fountains, Gardens, and others. I cant really remember the names. We stayed at the Gardens. Our room was clean and big. It was on the ground floor, Room 214. We had double beds. Because of the remoteness of the Inn, its pretty quiet and a nice place to relax. Unfortunately we had kids, so time to relax for us. We hit the pool as soon as we got there. There are 2 pools. The pools are “Bernardo” for Adults and “Santiago” for Families. The family pool was fun. Had a few families there with kids enjoying the pool. Oh by the way, when you check in you will get 2 complementary drink cards, bring them over to the pool and get some drinks. The pool has towels so don’t bring your own. The grounds are properly maintained and clean. The service was good too.

The only negative about this place is that there is nothing within walking distance from the Inn. Like I said, it’s a residential neighborhood. Unless you plan on just hanging out at the resort, the pool and playing golf, really nothing else going on around here. You will have to drive to get a bite to eat. The closest decent restaurant is the Elephant Bar off the 15 freeway.
Hint: Get a map of the property when you check in. There are two parking lots on the property, the main one and one to the back of the property by the “Fountains”. Overall I would rate this as a 3.5-4 stars Inn. Yes it’s a Golf and Spa Resort, but I’ve seen better. My rating is based mainly on the location of the inn and things to do around the property.
Enjoy my pictures.

Room Tip: Try getting a room away from the family pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed at the Rancho Bernardo in for a conference in March. My room was clean and beautiful, as were the grounds of the hotel. I was unable to stay at the RBI for the entirety of the conference because they overbooked the hotel. I was on the wait list for a month prior to my trip and was continuously told to check back to see if I moved up the list. Even though I threw a large, private event for 60 people in one of the ballrooms, the hotel could not care less that I had to switch hotels in the middle of the night from the RBI to a nearby hotel after I spent all day at the conference and hosted my private event (both at the RBI). No one was willing to help me, not even the event staff at the hotel.

During my stay, I went to the Veranda restaurant at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for dinner. The restaurant and hostess staff was very unorganized. I decided I didn't want to sit at the restaurant and eat, so I requested to place a to go order. I was then escorted by the hostess to the bar, where they said I could place a to-go order (which the hostess said I could do). However, the bartender informed me that they do not provide to-go orders of the restaurant menu. I was very frustrated because my colleagues had ordered to go food the night before from the restaurant. I do not know why they were served to go food and not me, but I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of consistency.

On another occasion, I went to the Veranda restaurant for lunch. I had a reservation for outside, but after waiting 15 minutes after my reservation time to be sat by the hostess, she informed me that she only had a table inside for me. Once seated, I waited an additional 15 minutes to be GREETED by a server. When I said something about the wait, the server just brushed me off. He only took my order and then disappeared for the entirety of the meal. I had to give my credit card to another server to run my check. It was incredibly rude and unprofessional.

For my event in one of the ballrooms, I received no help the day of from the event coordinator. It was only when I called her voicemail was I informed that she was not in the office that day. I was not told when I could set up for the event. When I arrived an hour early, there was a head waitress to help me during the event. She did a great job of helping with the last minute details the coordinator was not able to help me with. The food was only okay. I thought the meals served during the conference were better than the dinner we were served. The wait staff was very professional and rapidly responded to unexpected dietary restrictions.

Overall, the lack of professional customer service I received outshined my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelingPalina
Maureen C, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
TravelingPalina,

I appreciate your compliments regarding the cleanliness/condition of your room, the grounds and head waitress who assisted with your event. Please accept my apologies for the customer service challenges you experienced during your stay. Due to the fact these are not typical concerns I hear from guests, can you please contact me so we can discuss in detail?
You can reach me at 858-605-2663 or via email at: mcarew@jcresorts.com

I look forward to speaking with you.
Thank you.

Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager
Laguna Hils
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

This tucked away retreat will be sure to make you feel like your miles from home. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and gives you the feel of old world charm. The golf course is well maintained and offers a great day of golf from beginner to expert. The spa day was the best day of our stay. The staff was friendly and professional and the treatments were outstanding! The food at The Veranda restaurant was delicious! I would highly recommend this resort for a San Diego area getaway and I look forward to going back!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Green Building were nicely located to the lobby, golf shop and restaurant. Away from fa...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

The grounds are beautiful, full of flowers, tress, pants and water fountains. Our room was spacious, nice balcony, flat screen TV w/ DVD player, decor of room very relaxing, bathroom with dual sinks and spacious shower. This hotel matches deals on travelzoo, so my boyfriend booked through them instead of buying through travelzoo. We got 2 complimentary drinks per a night, free valet service and breakfast comped up to $40 or 2 buffet breakfasts. We choose to order off the menu I got the eggs Benedict which I highly recommend and instead of the potatoes I substituted for a side of mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) my boyfriend got the border omelette the first day it was good no side though and second day ordered the american breakfast he also substituted for a side of fruit but went with a melon mixture instead. I love this place and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to be close to downtown San Diego (30 mins away) but not stay in the main city. Also close to La Jolla, Carlsbad and Oceanside. This hotel is a big business stop too, every day they have multiple conferences going on. Also host weddings on weekends. Don't worry even with all these other events going on still remains peaceful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

It is not a coastal front property. It does not havethat idyllic scenic views from your guest room. Nor is it convenient to get to. But what Rancho Bernardo Inn does have is its sense of presence. It is surrounded by a park-like setting all thanks to a challenging golf course; artful aesthetics…beautiful fountains…manicured landscapes; a true getaway and a unique place for inspiration, which is what I was seeking to host a 3-day business conference.

Many have told me great things about this resort. My visit on March 22, I too discovered what others have shared, that Rancho Bernardo Inn is beautiful. It’s located at about a good 40 minute drive from the San Diego airport; however that was through uncongested traffic, 30 minutes north to the Wild Animal Park, and about 30 minutes west to the coast line. The resort sits on many acres that are easy to navigate. The facilities are not too far to get to and all with the presence of privacy even when the Inn is bustling.

Registration was extremely efficient. Every hotel staff member I met was happy to help. Most of the rooms here are called guest room category with views of a pool, resort walkways or a courtyard. I was assigned room #610 which is the next category up, an executive deluxe room -- more spacious and well-appointed featuring a patio walkout with views of the golf course’s lush fairways and a convenient walk to the Inn’s lovely spa and its outdoor pools. However, I noticed that all the rooms are in muted colors and lacked lack the details when it comes to maintaining like finding black marks on the walls and the dated bathroom fixtures.

The spa may have many treatment rooms, but the facility is smaller than other resort spas I’ve been to in the area, like their co-ed relaxation room which only has upright chairs…not much of relaxation. I found more comfort at the spas outdoor hot tub area. I did have time to get a facial and the service was delightful – no complaints on style or products used. During my stay a golf tournament was taking place, hosted by a local company. Although I am not a golfer, I can see that the participants were pleased and excited to play their round! And I like that this Inn had two large pool areas; one for adults only and the other for families.

Breakfast alfresco! My favorite! I enjoyed a yummy traditional American breakfast sitting at the patio of their Veranda Restaurant; the Inn’s main restaurant serving throughout the day. During my visit, their second restaurant Avant is being fully remodeled and scheduled to reopen this June 2013. I’ve heard great things about the restaurant from the locals and it hadn’t even opened yet!

The ambiance caters to the discerning traveler – casual yet refined, a perfect place for work and play. I will return along with my golf enthusiast who will appreciate it most!

Room Tip: The executive deluxe rooms are worth the additional difference in price.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Margie O
Corona del Mar, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We came for a two night stay. The food was fantastic, the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were wonderful. In addition, the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Room was very nice and well appointed. There were many cozy seating areas all throughout the grounds. And a Starbucks, YES. Can't wait to return. Loved eating out on the patio.

Joy

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Placentia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hotel is very nice and we had very comfortable stay. Hotel rooms are big enough, clean with good size balcony. Location is very calm and picturesque with golf course views, fireplace outside restaurants. There are sitting places around hotel lobby for relaxing and reading books, solve puzzle and play cards. There are two swimming pools on property which we really liked it. There is also on site spa which is very nice.

Room Tip: Stay in room near swimming pool in Santiago area or book room near Gardens area for Golf course view...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family