“Could use some upgrades, but otherwise nice”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I was at the hotel for a business trip so I didn't get to golf or enjoy the spa, but the grounds were lovely. My room was at the other end of the property from my conference and that was a challenging walk in heels. Lots of steep golf paths. The room was nice, with high ceilings and exposed beams. I was not a fan of the exterior entrance though. There was a large walk in shower, but no soap dishes or shelves so I had to lay my toiletries on the floor of the shower which was gross to me. Room service and housekeeping were both very pleasant and efficient, as was the front desk and bell staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed. It's very peaceful and relaxing. Lovely Spa, gym and even an adult only pool. Our stays have been mid week so I don't know how it is with several events going on. Although, the way the property is designed the event spaces are separated and tucked away. Lots of mature trees and other greenery give a lush feeling. We're usually ones who like to go out and discover the local restaurants in the area. Having done so on previous visits ( we used the car service which was nice ) we are content to dine at the hotel. The options are many from small plates at the bar to romantic dining. Sit by the outdoor fire places. It's a great place to unwind. We don't play golf but looks like it is a good place to do so. Check out the many fountains around the grounds.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We booked a spa and golf package for four nights and were very satisfied. The room overlooked mature trees, the staff was very friendly, the spa treatments were first class, and the golf course very "user-friendly."

Room Tip: Every building has a different character and feeling. Some are newer than others. We got a mature...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We often stayed at this resort with a golf package when visiting relatives nearby and usually have a comfortable visit. The rooms are old-fashioned but well equipped and spacious and the breakfast in the terrace is a must. The golf package is a bargain since it includes two days of golf for a single-night stay. Our last stay on X-mas eve and day was magical since the resort was beautifully decorated with a doll-house size ginger bread house and many x-mas trees. On X-mas eve, wine, beer, and soft drinks were provided free at the lobby with caroling by a local trio in costumes. All the more surprising since the free drinks were provided for several hours . Even better, they had a bargain rate for the stay during that time. If we were in town again, we will certainly consider staying for X-mas eve. The only complaint we had was that there was water running at the back wall of our room all day long- perhaps there was a fountain back there but we didn't take the time to investigate.

Room Tip: A room at the upper floor. Avoid room facing the parking lot especially at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here this past August with my boyfriend for a mini 'staycation' for two nights.

Our room was large, spacious, and nicely decorated. We had some sort of white powder spillage on the carpet when we arrived, but when we called the front desk they came and took care of it within a few minutes.

We ate twice at the resort, once for late lunch and once for breakfast, and both were surprisingly very good meals. We also took advantage of the resort pools (not the spa) and the hot tub. The pool area we went to was a little lackluster, but overall it was a really nice property.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was here for a convention for 2 nights last week - when I first drove up I really wondered why on earth our convention was 'out in the middle' of nowhere and within a quiet residential neighborhood. Oh - did I mention the surrounding golf course?! Long story short - this is an older resort - but very well maintained and as many people have mentioned - the employees are what make the resort 'what it is'. They were extremely attentive - yet not intrusive - and always made one feel 'special'. I was able to interact with various staff during our convention including restaurant employees, housekeeping, and dealt with the front desk - all were very professional, caring and seemed to have the guests best interest at all times.

There are a variety of rooms - I was able to look at four different rooms in four different locations and must say - believe I had one of the better rooms/areas. I was in the 'fountain's' building and it was lovely to wake up to the running water in the fountains right outside my balcony. The rooms were very clean and amenities were outstanding.

The resort is quite large and the convention meeting rooms, banquet facilities, hotel rooms and restaurants were scattered throughout the resort. Many of these places required a pretty good climb up some steep hills - so be prepared with comfortable shoes!! If one is a golfer - I would think this resort would be quite nice - there is a private golf club in the area as well - so many, many golfers were in the area.

As someone else mentioned - there was quite a long wait to check in - even though I had asked for an early check in - I was unable to get into my room until 4:10 pm - but the resort was kind enough to supply 'drink' coupons for many of us who were waiting for our rooms:)

One does need to know that this resort/hotel is nowhere near the San Diego area - it is a good 40-50 minute drive (depending on traffic) to get to the SD airport, downtown SD and other attractions within San Diego - so if you are planning on doing a lot of activities within the city itself - this may not be the right place to stay - due to the location.

All in all - a very nice place to stay although I do think it is a bit pricey for the area - i.e. not being very close to SD, beaches, attractions, etc.

Room Tip: I always ask for the highest level room - at this resort - that would be on the 2nd floor - with vau...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Wow. Just wow. Even if, like me you don't really golf this is a wonderful place to stay. This resort hotel has the feel of being owned by somebody like Donald Trump, every need is catered for and the staff are excellent.

In here for two weeks on business and the patio is just a wonderful place to drink, chat and enjoy the evening air under the patio heaters and around the numerous fire pits.

The beer is a bit pricy but the food is decent and not expensive. The room we had was spacious, had its own balcony and all amenities including coffee machine.

The resort has three pools and several heated hot tubs as well as a spa and gym. It's also on the doorstep of two good golf courses and the hotel boutique sells quality golf gear as well as quality evening and casual wear.

The buffet breakfasts are great whether you like eggs Benedict or bacon and eggs, fresh fruit (highly recommended) or porridge oats. The fresh juice is to die for!

I spoke to a few ladies who were enjoying the spa treatments and pools while their husbands played golf - a nice idea for keeping the lady happy while the men golf.

I love this place and if I get the chance will definitely be back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#46 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!