“Grab a package for excellent value!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I used their room/spa package as an excuse to come here for a weekend "staycation." I couldn't be more impressed. The grounds are beautiful and serene, the Veranda restaurant had a great menu and ambiance and the spa area was the icing on the cake. After a wonderful massage in an outdoor casita, I enjoyed the spa-guest-exclusive saline pool and jacuzzi. I was able to relax all day thanks to lounge chair food and beverage service. I'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2014
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

So glad to hear you enjoyed your staycation, Huffy! Looking forward to your next stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We needed a break from our routine and started looking for a place less than two hours away that would have some sun.

Turns out we found a great spot. RBI I has been tucked away east of San Diego forever, but doesn't feel old, it is in great condition with comfortable updated rooms with flat screen tv, Kuerig coffee makers, the resort fee (I am a proponent) was all inclusive. Valet or self parking,wifi, pool towels, free local and long distance phone usage, business center, etc. Having been a road warrior for 20+ year! nothing irked me more than nickel dime charges at a hotel or resort for the above services. Most recently at a major chain hotel I was asked to pay a $10 wifi charge per day for each device (we had six, with four people)

The ambience is so nice, lots of little areas to just sit and visit, staff was friendly, but here's our only negative. Service in he food service area was slow and apparently not well trained. There were exceptions, but we mostly appeared to be invisible until we spoke up and asked for help. Food was mostly good, and our dinner in Avant was awesome in quality and very good service, talked to our server and he had real skills learned over the years which are lacking in so many fine dining restaurants all over now. Did I mention training with expectations and follow up?

Having over 40 years in the Foodservice and hospitality business I feel qualified to comment and would gladly share specifics if asked.

My wife used the spa and said five star all the way, I didn't play golf this trip but will next trip.

Overall we had a great time and with a tweak or two, this is a five star resort with value.

Room Tip: Go for a golf course view,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JPG1944

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Rancho Bernardo Inn. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed all our amenities and the ambiance of the Inn. I would love to hear any specifics you would like to share about your dining experiences at the Inn. You can contact me at cbuchhauser@jcresorts.com. Looking forward to your next stay; hopefully you’ll have a chance to hit the links and join your wife for a spa treatment!

All the best,
Clint Buchhauser
Social Media & Online Marketing Specialist
cbuchhauser@jcresorts.com

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Quick trip to San Diego for a wedding. Upon arrival we were greeted by very professional, friendly and attentive staff. Check-in went well and our request for an early check-in was granted and we could not have been happier. Room was nice but had no wow factor. Bathrooms clean but outdated. No stone just tile. Very inexpensive tissue and toilet paper along with bathroom amenities. Maybe more expensive rooms have higher-end amenities? Pool was nice and grounds were pretty. The best area of the property was the bar. Very nice with a complete selection of top shelf brands. The wedding reception food was fine. Not memorable but fine. All in all it was very nice but that's the best I can say. The final test a always is would I stay there again? Probably not unless I had a function to attend there. Prices were fair, service was excellent but the property needs updating..............Cruiser Deluxe

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at RBI last week for a conference. Nice property with beautiful gardens and surroundings. Staff all very pleasant. Food and beverages all good quality. Room and bed comfortable. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank markwilliams62
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at this resort for a conference, but my family joined me. It has lovely grounds, however the campus is very spread out with multiple levels...not conducive to anyone with physical limitations or mobility issues. However a friend who has these issues was accommodated with a golf cart transport to the places he needed to be in attendance. All in all it was a lovely hotel, but if I had been paying rack rate (rather than a discounted conference rate) I would not have stayed at this facility. Parking is an additional charge, even if you self park which is quite a walk from the facility.

The rooms are spacious with your own balcony or patio area. They have Keruigs in the room, which is nice if you are a light coffee drinker - but for my family, not enough 'shots' were provided to kick start me in the AM!

All in all, a lovely stay, but as mentioned above, for a 5-star resort price I'd consider going elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently attended a business conference for 6 nights at the Inn. Although the hotel is charming and the grounds very pretty it is best reserved for the non-seasoned traveller. The lack of staff and the inattention to detail is quite noticeable. Upon check in we tried to switch our rooms after finding out our room had a patio and not a balcony. We were told "sorry this is the room you were assigned, there is nothing we can do". The resort is laid out poorly and upon check in it was difficult to find our room. The signage and lighting is very poor. We were not told our room had to be accessed from the outside of the building.It took us a long time to find it. The room was tired with a dirty rug and no mini bar. Housekeeping only serviced our room 4 out of 6 days and we had to call for service. The main hotel bar had a rank, stale odor with a very nasty bartender. Twice a few members of our group tried to have cocktails on the patio about 10pm but were told it the patio was closed due to the California noise ordinance. (The Inn is in the middle of nowhere!) Also I tired to order 6 drinks for our group and was told each person needed to come up to the bar individually and order. Three times we had luncheon reservations in the main restaurant. All 3 times we were told there was a 45 minute wait even though the restaurant was empty and we had reservations. The valet even misplaced our car one day and it took almost an hour to find it. The walls in the room are paper thin and we could hear every conversation in the next room.Yes the walking paths are lovely and the golf course is very nice. The spa is nice also. The ranch is about 25 miles from any San Diego sights so a car rental is a must. I love San Diego but I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Krystal P
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Ms. Krystal P: I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us and I have addressed your comments with our team to be certain each item will be corrected. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and I'm sorry to hear that we failed to do so. I would like for you to contact our Assistant General Manager, Maureen Carew, do discuss your stay and experience. She can be reached at 858 605 2663.

We do hope that you will return to the Inn.
John Gates

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a great place for business or pleasure. Spa is fantastic. Salt water pool delightful. Business Center complete and easy to use. Elegant staff and surroundings phenomenal. I highly recommend RBI.

Room Tip: Rooms are great in 700 series; but if you prefer close to the spa, 600 series is great, too. Had wed...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#45 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!