“The Spa at Rancho Bernardo Inn - Amazing!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Spa at Rancho Bernardo Inn - Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

To be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Inn in general, but the Spa was amazing. The cabanas were the perfect place to work since I was there on business. However, the reason I felt compelled to write a review was because of my experience with one of the massage therapists, Cory. I have had massage therapy all over the world, and even had a personal masseur for a period of time. Cory was absolutely one of the the best massage therapists I've ever encountered. I wish I could've packed him up and put him on the payroll!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Beautiful location, ambience and great service. I hosted a surprise party for my wife at the Rancho Bernardo Inn thru John Sullivan and Joy Regard in the banquet/catering department. Every aspect of the experience was positive. I was a little nervous planning an event for 25 people without the help of my wife but Joy made it painless. John and Joy were readily available for my (rookie) questions and were very efficient. They helped me work thru the menus, wine and drink choices, the birthday desserts, even had recommendations for flowers!

Servers Kirk and Tamy took good care of us, I would definitely ask for them again! We chose a Mexican food buffet with tortilla soup, salads, Chipotle lime beef and Poblano chile chicken fajitas, plus all the usual beans, rice and tortillas. Food was awesome and we are pretty picky about Mexican food, my wife is half Mexican and she says she grew up eating the best.

Not inexpensive but well worth it for our special occasion, I felt like I received excellent value.

Best part for me was that we actually pulled off the seemingly impossible and surprised my wife! Priceless! We are already trying to figure out our next event!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BTandNT
san francisco
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent several days at the Rancho Bernardo Inn, what a wonderful and enchanting place. It is north of San Diego, but easy drives to many tourist sites. We were there over Christmas and the grounds and lobby were beautifully decorated. Loved the room, which overlooked the golf course was fabulous I would really recommend this inn if you want to be close to San Diego but not in downtown "hub-bub".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Rancho Bernardo Inn was a lovely place for a business conference. If you want to play golf and enjoy great service from the staff, this is the place for you. The Avant Restaurant had excellent food and service. The bar in Avant was outstanding. The bartender was very friendly and made some excellent, beautiful cocktails.

Room Tip: The Greens Building has lovely views of the golf course.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed at this resort for a business conference. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They always went above and beyond. Also, the resort was fully booked the night before I arrived, so the rooms weren't immediately ready. However, the staff did an excellent job of managing the situation. The spa was excellent as well!!! I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just returned from a business conference at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. Having been to
Torrey Pines and "The Del" on several occasions, I presumed this property would be similar.

Not so much ... but lots to like:
1. The two golf courses are perfectly manicured and quite challenging.
2. The food in the restaurants is very good.
3. The staff is extremely friendly.
4. The landscaping -- for the most part -- is simply beautiful.

Some things you may not like:
1. This place is a looonngg way from the airport. To be exact, it is a
$100 taxi ride from the airport. Definately consider a rent car.
2. The rooms are a little tired. My patio area had not been mowed in weeks.
The A/C was completely unpredictable, although you may not need it.
3. My biggest disappointment was their room service. The menu is limited and
the food is borderline bad. If you order the crabcake, carefully inspect it before
you partake ... uh, the term "road kill" comes to mind ... sorry.
4. This property is a sprawling maze of walkways, up and down hills. If you are
not a triathlete, be prepared to pant alot ... or, request a room close to the lobby.

Overall, I don't think I would go back on my own nickle. The place is actually reasonably
priced but I would much rather spend a little more and return to Torrey Pines or "The Del."

I hope you find this review to be fair and helpful. Safe travels & God bless!

Room Tip: Depending on what you like, you probably want to be close to the lobby. That's where the resta...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank RosieTexas
Hidden Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from four nights at this resort and we were happy with the accommodations.

I was disappointed with the pool situation as I wanted to lounge and do some quiet reading. One pool was reserved for a group of families there for the Passover holiday, the other pool was designated as a family pool and the pool at the spa could only be used if you had a treatment that day or paid a $30. daily use fee. It would have been very nice to have had the daily spa fee waived for adults wanting a quiet time by the pool since the adult pool was off limits.

Our only complaint about this place was the food service. We ate most of our meals in the Vernanda and found the service to be lacking. For example, on Easter morning at 9:50 a.m., we arrived at the restaurant and was told by Leah that she could only seat us in the inside portion of the restaurant. There were only 3 or 4 tables on the patio occupied at that time with at least 9 empty tables. She said all of the tables outside were reserved. After we finished our breakfast at 10:45 a.m., I went back outside and there were still 6 or 7 empty tables. I spoke with Leah who exhibited an attitude that she couldn't have cared less.

At the extreme opposite range of service was a server by the name of Vicki. She was outstanding! She was attentive, pleasant and couldn't have done more for us. We left one evening with dessert to eat later in our room and she slipped in an extra coffee for my husband saying she didn't want him to run out before dessert was finished. Her attitude, service and overall customer service skills were so excellent that I am writing a separate letter to the management of the resort so that she might be recognized in some way.

While the food was good, the service (except for Vicki) was very slow. The waiters were all pleasant so it might have been a problem in the kitchen but the service was slow throughout our stay. The only time our meals arrived in a timely manner was when Vicki was our server. On Wednesday morning (our last day), we stopped there for breakfast before leaving. There was no one else seated outside but we waited at least 15 minutes before anyone came over to take our order. We were just getting up to leave when he (I won't mention his name) approached to take our order so we ended up staying as it was more convenient than finding another place on the drive home.

One pleasant surprise was the jigsaw puzzle in the lobby which was great fun to work on throughout our stay.

I would definitely recommend visiting this resort. It was a lovely place and we enjoyed our stay. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the restaurant service. If you do visit, be sure to ask to be seated at one of Vicki's tables. Also, we were apparently given 2 free drinks cards at check-in which we didn't know we had and didn't find in the cardkey holder until after we'd checked out. Be sure to look for them so you can use them during your stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the spa area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family