“If I Can Live There, I Would”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #32 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“If I Can Live There, I Would”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What can I say? My experience with RBI for the past 6 years have always been a phenomenal and a pleasant one. Whether it be for business or pleasure, my visits have been fantastic. If you're looking to do an event there, being a business type or a social one, do it! The sales team (especially Jeri), conference services, and all banquet staff are beyond great. They will take care of you every step of the way! You have experience the spa there as the facilities and staff are superb! The front desk staff, restaurant staff, every staff member there are super. If you're thinking of going for a personal/pleasure trip, GO! I have no doubt you'll have an amazing experience.

Room Tip: I've always enjoyed my room(s) in the Vista building. It overlooks the spa and the spa pool and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'm giving a poor review because of the parking ..... can't give a review of the Veranda restaurant because we never got there !

Parking is tight at the hotel at the best of times - the spaces themselves are smaller than usual too.

Today we booked for lunch at the Veranda and on the way into the resort we commented on the amount of traffic parking in the residential streets around the area.

This was because of a golfing event being held at the Inn. Every car park was full, cars were just going round and round looking for spaces, some were parked on the red lines.

After circling the car park a couple of times we left and had lunch somewhere else. A pity because the last time we had lunched at the Veranda (parking was tight that day too) we enjoyed it.

I suspect the golfers were parking in the area in front of the hotel in addition to the other parking areas near to the club itself.

Surely the Inn could have reserved some spaces for people just using the facilities in the hotel?

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Maureen C, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jenny, in reading your comments I don’t see that you tried utilizing our valet. They would have been happy to park your car for you so you could enjoy the Veranda. We have a great valet team and although it was a very busy day with a tournament on property, we would have taken care of you.

We look forward to seeing you again.
Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager
Deer Park, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Needed somewhere to stay for one night after deciding to extend our trip. We Needed a room for family of 4 (2 adult daughters) for one night after deciding to extend our trip. We booked a pkg deal at our planned hotel and it wasn't cost effective to book 1 more night. Found Rancho Bernardo on Trip Advisor and could not have made a better choice. Thanks to Megan -- our family of 4 adults had a room with an attached parlor with plenty of room. The spa/golf package was great -- Dad played golf and the girls had a spa day. We were sad to leave but are already planning a return trip in a few months. Thank you RBI staff!!

Room Tip: Not right on the water but close enough to everything you would need!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Temecula, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a large resort offering many different activities. We chose to go to the spa for the day. We made our appointments for facials. The reception staff was courteous and informative. We received a confirmation e-mail the night before to remind us of our treatment times.
Upon arrival the spa is in an area totally surrounded by beautiful gardens. We were welcomed by all staff with a warm smile. We were checked in then given a tour of the areas we could utilize for the day. The locker area is well stocked with beautiful linens and amenities. We rented a cabana for the day and it was so relaxing. The spa manager came to check on us and was very helpful with all of our questions. She also assisted us upon check out with a few questions we had in the retail area. She was courteous and thoughtful making sure we were able to find everything we needed.
Kevin the poolside waiter was accommodating and made sure we didn't have to ask for anything.
We continued on to our treatments. My esthetician was Lindsay. She was very experienced and helpful. She was able to provide an excellent facial. The spa used Eminence skincare products which I am a fan of, but Lindsay was able to provide more information on the products so I could purchase exactly what I needed for my skincare regimen. I will be returning more frequently for the excellent staff and beautiful amenities!!!
Our checkout was fast and efficient. Kaitlyn was very friendly and was able to answer all of our questions.
One thing to keep in mind is the restrooms are in the locker area. There are none near the pool so plan accordingly.
This was an excellent spa. You can tell it is efficiently ran by it's management and the staff cares about the guest experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
John G, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Spa Guest, thank you so much for the great comments on our spa and our staff that assisted you. I will be sure to acknowledge Lindsay, Kevin and Kaitlyn. We sincerely care about our guest experiences and thank you for sharing yours. I look forward to your return.

Best Regards,
John Gates
West Covina, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband & were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. He booked through an outside site, price per room was very expensive. This was a very nice and classy hotel. Lots of little spots to hide away. The pools were nice & loved the gardens. I instantly got good vibes from it. When he booked we saw photos of large tub, so that is what he requested. When we got to our room there was no tub & was extemely loud due to the 3 weddings going on near our room. So they moved us (they gave us drink voucers to make up), we stayed in a quieter smaller room & the tub was a standard tub-not like the pictures. (not happy, but at this point I did not want to move anymore). Bed was a bit hard and ac did not get as cool as we liked. We were out durng the day & as we return our key doesn't work, so (I assume) the manager walked us to our room to make sure our new key worked.
We planned to go use our drink vouchers at the restaurant on our last night & the view was great. Golf course, water fountains, the pond at dusk-very nice. The service at "The Bar" was great!
We checked out and went home. I check my credit card online and there are random charges from the hotel. I call so they can fix it, but that dept is closed-they said they would "send my information to that dept, & I will get a call back the next day." I don't hear from them the next day. I call the following day and their rep says that those are "pending charges for damages" even though there was nothing done to my room. So this rep says he will notify the manager of the situation. I ask for the manager's info so I can notify them too. I call & leave a message for the manager and to this day have not received an answer back-but the pending charges are gone. Very unprofessional & poor customer service! I will definitly think twice about whether I want to stay here again!
Parking lot was a joke! I have an accord and was still hard to exit out of stalls. Big cars beware it may take you all day! area is TOO small!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank B-Reyes622
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here one night during the long President’s Day weekend. The check-in was painless and quick. The normal check-in time is 4:00 p.m.; I called at 2:30 to request an early check-in and got checked in around 3 pm. The complaint I have is that that hotel charged us for internet usage and self-parking, which I thought it was stiff since their parking lot is huge and half-full, and it is a bit unusual to charge the guests for self-parking when the hotel is not located in downtown or busy streets. Our room is a standard room on the third floor, yet it’s very roomy, airy, clean and tastefully decorated with a high ceiling and a beautiful view of their golf course and a pond. We have bathrobes in the closet, and the complimentary toiletries are complete with toothpaste and toothbrush and shaving kit, it’s convenient and added a nice touch. There are 7 hot tubs on the property, and we used the one right outside by our room. It was cool in the evening, but I wrapped myself in a nice thick robe, I was relaxed and warm sitting outside afterwards chatting with my husband and gazing at the starry night. We slept well though there were a few large parties going on that night. I enjoyed dinning outside of the hotel because we wanted Asian food. I ate at Saigon Bistro for lunch and Pearl for dinner, they were both fine choices. I used to work in the area, so I am familiar with other restaurants, they are all pretty decent.
Rancho Bernardo is in the northern part of San Diego near several high-tech employers, it’s not near to the local beaches or nightclubs for the young and active people. However, I would recommend this inn for a short, relaxing and quiet getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having been in the Hospitality industry you tend to notice all the details that would make a successful "Magic Time", for guests to keep them coming.
Where do I begin, front desk hospitality is non exciting from the moment we got there, evening starts with a very slow restaurant service when it's half empty. Get to the room and it's 80degrees, contacted front desk and only to be offered a fan. Once again we called back to request to be moved to an air conditioning room. The number of times we had to visit the front desk we witnessed others complaining about their bill, and having them readjusted, little did I know, they allowed other parties to make changes to my reservations.
Never did we get a proper adjustment to the first night to the rate for the first night to a lesser room. The staff needs to have a refresher course on how to deal with unexpected emergency issues that may arise and how to communicate with guests who may be affected in a positive resolution manner.
I can say that this was our first time and our last.
I do want to give a positive note that the ladies at the Spa were wonderful, and so was Christina the hostess at Veranda.

Room Tip: Watch our for hidden fees of "San Diego Tourism Marketing Dist"?, why should I be paying f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NinaNBob
JCResortsMarketing, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Nina and Bob, in reading your comments I wish to apologize that your stay with us was less than stellar. I have addressed your details with the Department Managers to ensure the items are fixed.

I would like you to contact either myself or my Assistant General Manager, Maureen Carew at 858 605 2663 [or mcarew@jcresorts.com], to discuss your stay and restore your faith in the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

Thank you for taking the time to bring it to our attention and I value your insight being in the same industry.

Best Regards,