“A Nice Staycation”

Ranked #28 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, Ca
“A Nice Staycation”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We Stayed at the RB Inn for two evenings. Our room was large, with a sitting area, balcony overlooking the golf course and had a bathroom with separate shower and tub. The grounds were beautiful and both pools were enjoyable. We truly were able to relax and recharge the batteries here. The only negative was that our room was never cleaned despite hanging the "service room" tag on the door AND personally asking for service at the front desk. Another minor problem was at "The Bar", a sports bar where there is never happy hour yet upstairs in Avant, you can find $3 craft beers and reasonably priced apps on a mission themed veranda daily from 4-6:30. A sports bar with no happy hour? Come on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Maureen C, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for the great comments on your guest room and the resort ambiance. I do apologize that housekeeping did not clean up your room. Since we have two bars on property and Avant being the newer of the two, we offer happy hour in AVANT and we offer our "Daily Delights" special food and beverage menu downstairs. Both bars have multiple TVs for sporting events.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a hidden gem. You'd never guess how nice it is from a drive by. It's a bit rustic but in a very classy way. The service was top notch. The restaurants were all so good and the golf course was pristine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Laguna Niguel
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Exceptional service from the time we pulled up to the serene property to packing our bags into our van and everything in between. All the staff members were professional & friendly. Food at all the restaurants were exceptional. Rooms were fabulous. My children 13 & 9 had a great time. They had all kinds of things for kids to do. There were family friendly meals at all the restaurants.
I recommend Avant Restaurant. Their farm to table menu is exceptional and knowledgeable staff were friendly and professional.
My husband and I wanted a resort that is relaxing, serene, and luxurious. This resort has everything we ever wanted and more. My husband is booking his team retreat at this resort in November at this moment. I recommend this resort and is looking forward to going back.

Best, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at RB inn for quit some times now and I'm amazed every single time with the stuning views and relaxed atmosphere. Exept the last visit, due to a black widdow on my terras I enjoyed every single time I stay there. Only comments I have is the WiFi connection in " green " accomodations is not appropriate to work with. My cellphone, laptop and iPad didn't pick up any signal.

• Stayed July 2014
Blackie, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I spent 4 nights here last week for a technical conference. The staff was friendly and helpful, the grounds were nice however this location is not close to San Diego or the beach. I was told that a cab ride to the hotel from the airport cost $80 by one of the other conference delegates.

Do not take a low sports car here... I have no idea how you would get it into the parking lots or down the service road with causing serious damage. The roots have heaved the asphalt badly and the approach to the rear parking lot is WAY too steep.

The resort has what appears to be a spanish nautical theme circa 1492. The rooms are in several buildings. I stayed in Valencia, when I opened the door to the building I was overcome with a musty odor. The carpets down the hallway are worn and stained. Room service plates littered the hallway for over 12 hours.

The room I had was clean but worn. The tiled shower was clean. The place had early 80s decor.

The WIFI connection was awful. It had intermittent connectivity and was difficult to conduct business.

The food from the onsite catering department was acceptable but not exceptional.

This place needs a complete overhaul. The buildings need to be completely face lifted. For a worn out resort, $199 / night + parking was too much to pay. I would not stay there again if given the choice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ScottfromBlackie
Maureen C, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Scott, we appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and nice grounds. The charm of our resort is a Mission Style theme with lush landscaping and adjoining golf course. All of our guest rooms have had new carpeting installed in the last year, and upgraded bed linens. Most all rooms have completely renovated and tiled bathrooms with the balance to be completed by year's end. I certainly understand your concerns about the carpet in the Valencia and want you to know we are in progress of replacing all interior building hallway carpets. We are also adding more WiFi access points to our property so this will alleviate our connectivity issues. Our front and largest parking lot has the most level parking, so we hope that you will return and give our resort another visit in the near future to see our improvements.

Best Regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I'll overlook a spider in my room, the used toiletries, the dirty bathroom, the massage where they missed my leg because time was up, and the lumpy bed. Bad customer service I can't ignore. They made me feel like my family and I didn't belong there. I so wanted to like this place because of the value, but the people working there made my experience horrible. Never going back.

1 Thank K L
Dear Ms. K L, we are very sorry that we did not meet or exceed your expectations on many levels. I asked our Director of Rooms, Moya, to reach out to you to discuss your stay and he has left you a few messages. Please call him back so we can discuss your experience and restore your faith in the RBInn.

Best Regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Not one thing was lacking in this hotel. Service was great, room was in excellent condition, and food was good. I stayed there for a conference, so the food was mostly at the conference, but even then it was great! The only downside was and it wasnt a major issue, was the odour that comes from really old wood properties. But that may also be because I have an extra sensitive olfactory system!