“SO Charming!!!”

Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“SO Charming!!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

It is true that this hotel is a little 'ways away' from San Diego - but for those looking for respite and not necessarily needing water views, this is a wonderful destination. It isn't too far from the major tourist attractions or La Jolla, FYI. The property is set up so well for groups or meetings, but it also feels like a comfortable destination for leisure travelers. The staff at this property will spoil you completely. It's their goal, I can assure you. I loved how unassuming the lodge itself was, but rest assured that the restaurant is top notch and the spa is FABULOUS. I honestly must say I cannot tell you if I was so tired that the spa just felt like heaven .... or if they relaxed me that much. At any rate, my review and recollection is nothing short of fantastic. My therapist was one of the best. A fun fact is that they have started their own line of offerings in the bar - for instance, their own homemade mustard. I am not typically a "mustard fan". However, after a few minutes of conversation with one of their lead employees there, I tried the mustard and then ventured into a berry mustard. I was even given a verbal account of how all this is made. Rather impressive and QUITE good, I must tell you! Before you knew it, I had a 'to go' jar in my hand and was proud to bring it home! The little touches go such a long way!

Bottom line: The rooms are beautiful. Spacious. The property is a very cool combination of lodge and ranch home. I had been to quite a few properties in this area recently, and Rancho Bernardo and Estancia were my two favorites. Rancho Bernardo's spa is lovely - and they have a golf course. It's a bit more 'all inclusive'. After seeing some of the other 'destination' properties out that way, this one even reigns superior to the Omni property that is adjoined with the Deepak Chopra foundation, I believe. . Note that Rancho Bernardo isn't commercial whatsoever. You can check in here and simply enjoy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

A beautifully landscaped place with a real upscale rancho feel and a wonderful service. Good food and a well kept pool. Rooms were great and spacious, especially for the European, even thought the place is a while our of SD and the airport. Recommended

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HooyooMooyoo
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

While usually not a fan of food in California (I think it is too bland) the food at the Rancho Bernardo Inn was very good. Sadly did not have time to enjoy the pools or the golf course but they looked very inviting. The hotel is nestled (or shoehorned) in to a neighbourhood in Rancho Bernardo and does not look too inviting on the drive up there but it is a bit of an Oasis and very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Doug G
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We Stayed at the RB Inn for two evenings. Our room was large, with a sitting area, balcony overlooking the golf course and had a bathroom with separate shower and tub. The grounds were beautiful and both pools were enjoyable. We truly were able to relax and recharge the batteries here. The only negative was that our room was never cleaned despite hanging the "service room" tag on the door AND personally asking for service at the front desk. Another minor problem was at "The Bar", a sports bar where there is never happy hour yet upstairs in Avant, you can find $3 craft beers and reasonably priced apps on a mission themed veranda daily from 4-6:30. A sports bar with no happy hour? Come on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Maureen C, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for the great comments on your guest room and the resort ambiance. I do apologize that housekeeping did not clean up your room. Since we have two bars on property and Avant being the newer of the two, we offer happy hour in AVANT and we offer our "Daily Delights" special food and beverage menu downstairs. Both bars have multiple TVs for sporting events.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a hidden gem. You'd never guess how nice it is from a drive by. It's a bit rustic but in a very classy way. The service was top notch. The restaurants were all so good and the golf course was pristine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Laguna Niguel
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Exceptional service from the time we pulled up to the serene property to packing our bags into our van and everything in between. All the staff members were professional & friendly. Food at all the restaurants were exceptional. Rooms were fabulous. My children 13 & 9 had a great time. They had all kinds of things for kids to do. There were family friendly meals at all the restaurants.
I recommend Avant Restaurant. Their farm to table menu is exceptional and knowledgeable staff were friendly and professional.
My husband and I wanted a resort that is relaxing, serene, and luxurious. This resort has everything we ever wanted and more. My husband is booking his team retreat at this resort in November at this moment. I recommend this resort and is looking forward to going back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Best, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at RB inn for quit some times now and I'm amazed every single time with the stuning views and relaxed atmosphere. Exept the last visit, due to a black widdow on my terras I enjoyed every single time I stay there. Only comments I have is the WiFi connection in " green " accomodations is not appropriate to work with. My cellphone, laptop and iPad didn't pick up any signal.

• Stayed July 2014