“Fabulous place to relax”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 January 2010

After watching our Huskers win the Holiday Bowl, our party went to Rancho Bernardo Inn to see the New Year in. The recent renovations brought back the beauty of the place and was absolutely the best stay we've had in a long time. The staff was so accommodating and couldn't do enough for us. The food for New Year's Eve was excellent and the decorations for the Holidays were really special. We would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a first class stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,051)

Reviewed 25 December 2009

Excellent hotel, very immaculate, felt like it was a 5 star resort and spa. The only thing was that the gym was under renovation, but they gave us free 24 hr fitness passes, we had to drive to it but better then nothing. The bed was comfy, the best I ever had so far at any hotel The staff was very nice and accomodating. It looked really christmasy with the beautiful decorations. Will definetly stay there again in the near future

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Had a one night staycation for our wedding anniversary. We took advantage of the All play no pay package of a one night's stay with 2 massages, dinner, and breakfast included for ~$400.

We were upgraded to a premium room (in the Boulders). Room was on 3rd floor -tastefully decorated with a great view of the golf course. Very private, big room with a big bathtub and separate standing shower. Very clean.

Spa experience was okay. The massage treatments were good but the waiting/sitting area for before and after your treatment was too small and had high traffic. The person bringing in the towels as well as some of the other employees used this door to the outside to frequently go in and out. This isn't relaxing considering the air is cold outside and you are sitting in your robe (with nothing else on underneath). Hot tea was lukewarm and never checked. Steam room and sauna was nice - gender specific.

Got dressed and went to the Bizcocho for dinner. We were looking forward to it and this was one of the reasons why we booked a stay at this hotel. It did NOT live up to our expectations or any of the previous reviews that we read. El Bizcocho is no longer a 5 STAR restaurant. This was very disappointing considering the reputation of this restaurant. It was more of a typical hotel restaurant and less like a special occasion one. The menu on the website is not accurate since many of the dishes were not offered and the tasting menu is no longer available. Service was slow and lukewarm at best. We actually couldn't wait to leave the dining area.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise at the Veranda. Had a "Border" omelet that was excellent. Service was more attentive than it was at El Bizcocho the night before. We maybe should have gone there for dinner (?).

Overall the grounds were beautiful and nicely decorated for the holidays. We liked our room and the grounds but were very disappointed in the food~

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Myhusband surprised me for my birthday with a stay at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. Even though we live in San Diego, I felt like I was on vacation. Great service, excellent food and a beautiful property...very quiet and relaxing. We also enjoyed first rate spa services at their beautiful spa that has one of the most gorgeous pools and cabana setups I have ever seen at a spa. In addition, our massages were done in private Japanese style houses. The following morning our children joined us for our Thanksgiving dinner on the Veranda. Overall, it exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to anyone - whether for business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I recently stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a wedding. Had I known it would be such a beautiful place I would have stayed longer. The staff was so friendly and accommodating! The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were great, and the spa is a must. I would love to come back. I was pleasantly surprised since I had never heard of this place before. Even though a short trip it was so relaxing. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

My husband and I stayed here at RBI because we have stayed at other JC Resort Properties and we loved the service and atmosphere of the resorts and thought since this one was close to home we would give it a try. This place, compared to other similarly rated properties was very disappointing. We wanted to check out as soon as we arrived. There was a long and confusing hike to find our hotel room. Prior to arriving Arlene in the spa bent over backwards to accommodate our last minute requests at the spa. Because of all of her hard work and professionalism we decided to give RBI another chance. Arlene in the spa was so accommodating and welcoming we decided to tolerate a lot more than we normally would have. When we arrived in the room it was nice and clean with what appeared to be a lowly budgeted recent remodel. When we sat on the bed, the mattress slid across the frame mounting about 6 inches. The frame of the bed was too big for the mattress! The bed was extremely uncomfortable. You could hear springs in the mattress all night and neither my husband or I got a good night sleep! I ended up with bruises on my legs from banging them on the frame every time I got out of bed.

The only nice thing I can say about this place is the spa was a wonderful experience and the atmosphere of the grounds is beautiful. Our hotel rate included 2 spa treatments with each night stay for $268. Which is a great deal if the room had not been so miserable. I have been to better spas, but everyone was quite professional and caring. My husband chose to have the signature massage and I chose the aroma therapy facial. We also opt'd for the spa pedicure, which in my opinion was a waste of money. The environment for the pedicure was not in the spa area and the bench seat was very uncomfortable. The room was attached to the fitness area and was very loud and non-relaxing. The spa has a nice dressing room area with all of the amenities, 3 showers and plenty of lockers. While waiting for your treatment you can enjoy a private men or women only steam room and jacuzzi, the saline pool or co-gender jacuzzi, or relax in the cabanas that are included for spa members only.

Needless to say the night only got worse when we went to the Veranda Dining area and were highly disappointed by the very low quality of the food offered there. The ambiance was amazing as it sits outside overlooking the golf course but we could have gotten better food from Denny's down the road!

Overall it was nice to have a weekend away with my husband but I would highly recommend that you consider another place unless you are used to the Holiday Inn level or lower of accommodations. The grounds are beautiful. If you live locally, I would recommend a visit to the spa!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Tucked away in North San Diego County is the Rancho Bernardo Inn. With its classic vintage grounds and large terrace overlooking a first class Golf course and great food, you feel you are hundreds of miles away from home. We live in San Diego, got married there, celebrate our anniversary and enjoy numerous brunches throughout the year at the RBI. The newly added spa/pool area is wonderfull, relaxing and serene. Golf at the RBI is fun, challanging and just a beautiful setting. There is something for everyone there and I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple