“Could be such a hit, had some misses”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I worked with Joy to secure my rate, reservation and arrangements for our dog. Working with her was absolutely wonderful. She was very friendly and professional. The hotel itself has some wonderful qualities. The main building has an upscale lodge feel to it and is very beautiful. So are the grounds. The front desk staff needs some more training or a change in attitude. When you walk up to one of them, there is almost a look of fear in their eyes. It seems they are ready to be defensive. Smiles seem a little fake. The clerk who checked me in failed to tell me about the free breakfast and complimentary items in the mini-fridge. Fortunately, I was aware of them while making the reservation.

The room was beautiful and overlooked the golf course. We were on the top level, so the ceilings were high. The room was very big, recently updated and well-furnished. The bathroom had double sinks which was nice. However, the bathrooms appeared a little older. There was a little mold in the shower, but not a deal-breaker.

The restaurant was painfully slow, but forgivable our first morning. The second was an awful experience. To lure families, the resort offers kids free meals. When we went to breakfast, a few sets of parents, who were traveling together, were at the restaurant with their children. The kids were screaming and running all over the place. They also were only wearing bathing suits and no shoes which is actually a health code violation. The management did nothing and should have on its own. To make matters worse, our order was not taken for 20 minutes. Our pot of coffee was forgotten after three requests. The manager, noticing we were not happy, offered to credit our room for the cost of breakfast. We were satisfied with that, but after his offering, neither he nor anyone from the staff checked on us again. As we started to walk out, the manager ran over and apologized again.

Also, self-park was $10 a day for guests. However, people who were at the hotel for functions were able to park in the same lot for free. And, in some cases, we could not find a parking space. At least it was at times we only had to quickly run to the room. We actually left our car in the fire zone with flashers! The resort has no way to really monitor who is parking where. You may want to just tell them you took a taxi to avoid the fee!

Overall, if the price were more reasonable, I would consider staying at Rancho Bernardo Inn again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Good afternoon, I wish to apologize and respond to your comments on our resort. From the moment one arrives at our resort we strive to have a welcoming warmth that is unmatched by our competitors and I am very sorry that you didn’t experience this on your arrival at the front desk and also in the restaurant.

To restore your faith in the Rancho Bernardo Inn, I ask that you personally contact me to discuss your stay. I can be reached at jgates@jcresorts.com.

John Gates

Write a ReviewReviews (2,094)

Reviewed 16 September 2010

Well trained staff that is eager to please!!! I went with my SO as a tag along on his business trip. I can say that I was pleasantly suprised by the whole experience @ Rancho Bernardo Inn. I felt that I was in Spain and not CA as far as the hotel interior. Spent one whole day at the spa while my SO was playing golf; highly recommended...ask for Neill... The spa staff was superb and spa itself was VERY clean and serene. I really liked the Veranda restaurant with a nice view of the golf course. Food was a bit pricey, but good. Our room was large, clean, and cozy; huge flat screen is a BIG plus.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I found the accomodations and staff to be excellant. This was one of the most friendlist and beautiful resorts I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. I would highly recommend if you want to get away from it all and enjoy and beautiful surrounding and amazing food that you stay at this resort.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2010

From the woman who took my reservation, to check-in, going to the spa & the restaurant- everyone was super pleasant and made sure all your wants and needs were met. I had stayed there last year when we celebrated my Mom's birthday. I was so impressed I decided to spend my birthday there and man did they make me feel special.

The room was great as usual, clean & beautiful views not matter where you are located. It is so relaxing with the gardens, fountains and greenery all around. The spa is super nice- you have to try the saline pool. They have a bar in the pool area, I felt like I was at Club Med but better. The couples massage was amazing, did the outdoor cabana & I highly recommend. Had dinner at the Veranda, good food at affordable prices. Went back to room to find a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries & a nice personalized note thanking me for choosing the Inn to celebrate my special occasion. I felt so special!!! I can't wait to go back. My anniversary is in 2 months- hope they still have the All Play No Pay package. Also, spend some time exploring the grounds, it is just a lovely place & great decor.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

It was so refreshing to find a resort that gets customer service right. From the time we pulled up to the curb until the time we checked out the customer service was superb! The food was excellent especially The Veranda, make sure you ask for Jimmy! I would highly reccomend this resort!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I have stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn several times over the past 4-5 years, and we're always treated like lifelong friends by the staff. You can't walk across the beautiful grounds without someone smiling and greeting you warmly. The rooms are a good value for the price, and the remodeled Veranda restaurant is awesome! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The beauty of theentire establishment was very impressive. The service was unbelievably friendly - form the front desk to the coffee girls. Especially the young gentleman "Blake" , the bell hop. What a great first impression.
It was truthfully the first time in over ten years that I slept very comfortably in a 'hotel' bed.
My wife loved that there were many plugs and extra space in the room - and VERY clean.
My kids loved the many pools and fountains throughout the grounds.
The spa was incredible and beautiful.
I thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and the helpful staff there as well.
Our dinner in the "fine dining' restaurant was top notch!! Being a restauranteur myself - I was extremely impressed with the chefs attention to detail and the knowledge of the food by the waitstaff.
Knowing how difficult it is (first hand) to have a staff follow through with an IMAGE that owners and management want to portray - I have to totaly commend the upper management of this facility. I want to know there secret !! The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family