“Perfect for business or personal”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Fantastic! We had our conference here.....between meetings it was relaxing and beautiful. Rooms and staff are great!! Have to try the spa!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,051)

Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had a wonderful experience at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. The service from check in to check out was stellar. The employees really seem to like what they are doing. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The food was excellent. We ate on the Verandah and the wait staff was very attentive. The golf course is beautiful and extremely well groomed. If you are looking for a romantic getaway or a golfing weekend - this is the right spot for you!

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Rancho Bernardo experience was less than average at best. Rooms were tired looking and were in desperate need of an update especially in the bathroom / shower fixtures. The walls must be very thin as we could hear every conversation from the room next to us. There is a $15.00 resort fee that I did not agree with. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

The golf course was not up to my expectations for a $75 greens fee. 3 greens were closed which was disapointment

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Good afternoon, I wish to apologize that your stay did not exceed your expectations. We offer a quality resort and we are of the Preferred Resorts family. I would like to discuss your experience and restore your faith in us. Please e-mail me directly at jgates@jcresorts.com.

John Gates

Reviewed 18 October 2010

My Husband and I had an amazing Anniversary weekend here. The property is so quiet and beautiful. We would just walk around and get lost, it was great! The fireside lounge is awesome, make sure to check it out.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Every aspect of our weekend at this resort was exceptional. The hotel itself is gorgeous - a word I overheard many times from other guests also! Although there were 4 rehearsal dinners and 3 weddings that weekend, they were barely noticeable - the grounds are laid out so there is no excessive noise, no crowding... The staff - the whole staff - were the most helpful and accommodating I've encountered.
Dinner and breakfast at the Veranda were delicious and reasonable; brunch at El Bizcocho was over-the-top (although, one or two seafood dishes did not benefit from sitting around awhile.)
The q/q room was comfortable and very roomy; plenty of space for 2 ladies to spread out without tripping over each other. The double-vanity in the bathroom is a nice touch, as is the small balcony with chairs. The only small problem was our room near the stairs, where it got a bit noisy during late-evening returns and early-morning check-outs.
The spa atmosphere was relaxing and the treatments were as good as we expected them to be. Prices are high, but par for the course at a resort like this. Adult-only pool with cabanas was incredibly tranquil; spa lunch poolside was healthy and delicious.
I booked thru Southwest Airlines Vacations, and expected a "value" experience, but on check-in, the manager threw in an invitation to the Manager's Reception and free breakfast at the Veranda, plus free items in the mini-fridge, like beer, wine, and snacks. Extra touches like this, and the free shuttle to other restaurants or shopping, made us feel like we were totally pampered all weekend. Love this place!

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We stay at this hotel every year for our anniversary since this is where we got married. The hotel has only gotten better! The new day spa area is absolutely amazing. I went and had a facial and the room was so relaxing (as opposed to many stand alone spas). The spa had a resting area, steam room, showers, lockers (you get robes and slippers), etc. I also used the workout room before and this was really nice (big windows and not busy). My husband golfs while I am at the spa nd loves it! This hotel also has many pools so if you are buy yourself and go to the spa's pool but if you have children, there is a pool just for families with even pool toys. The staff is very professional and the whole feel about the resort is high class.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Stayed here October 4 -6 and was disappointed. I heard alot about the Inn and amenities. The room was average at best and in need of updating (Room 815)......the bathroom was tiny.....one person barely fit. Nicest thing about the room was the flat screen, HDTV. All this for $205/night. We stayed at a Residence Inn in La Jolla on the 7th and spent half as much and the room was twice as nice.

The restaurant Bizcocho was the same as the room - overpriced and average at best. Wine list was weak and the by the glass offerings horrible. $16 for a glass of Beaulieu Vineyards Cab - are you kidding me? I was a member of their wine club - the bottle only cost $18. Appetizers were not much better, wings were OK and the sesame tuna roll was pretty good. We attended a group dinner on two separate nights......these were the best meals we had. One night they did a buffet with a Mexican theme - all in all the food was good - but resembled more of what a Marriott would offer not a high end Inn like Rancho Bernardo. The second night we had a plated dinner - apps, dinner and dessert. Finally something good. The filet mignon was excellent - cooked perfectly and a good piece of meat.

My wife visited their spa and gave it slightly above average ratings. She got a good massage and told me the overall spa was nice. Again, she thought it was a bit overpriced for what she received.

Do not fall victim to the hype of their website......stay in Del Mar or La Jolla - try L'Auberge in Del Mar......you will find nicer hotels, some on the water - for the same rate. We stayed at La Costa a few years back and it was heads above Rancho Bernardo.......I do not plan on visiting it again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Steven, The Rancho Bernardo Inn offers exemplary service and amenities; and I'm sorry to hear you felt our resort did not meet your expectations. I ask that you contact me directly to discuss your stay and how I can restore your faith in us. Please contact me directly at jgates@jcresorts.com

John Gates