“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
“A lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a great hotel with spacious rooms and great amenities. Shuttle service and attendants were very helpful and friendly and attentive. Location is within short walk to restaurants on site and across the road. I would definitely chose this hotel for next visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: South rooms are sunny and a beauty to watch the sun rise over Point Loma.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ngria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel and as a Platinum Member they upgraded me to the main building which is relatively new. The room was nice, open and airy. I didn't like the phone being bedside and not a phone on the desk, but that's minor.

The lobby is nice and the staff is mostly friendly, depending on you encounter. You can still meet some of the hotel staff with a air of arrogance and uncaring but mostly OK. I was not impressed with the van service from the airport. I had checked in and with a very early flight, I returned my rental car the night before. I was assured by the hotel the service to and from the hotel was 5-10 minutes.

I returned the car and called the hotel for a pick up. 30 minutes later, I called the hotel again since no shuttle arrived. Finally after about 45 minutes, the driver shows up. He says the hotel is only 5 minutes away. The driver then makes two other stops and after about a full hour total, I arrive back at the hotel. I asked the driver how long the airport run takes, he was annoyed by my question and said only 5-10 minutes. I asked when does the 5-10 minute time frame start? He said from the time we leave, whatever that means. Thus, the 5-10 minutes is meaning less nomenclature that is randomly tossed about, but has no substance.

If you arrive at the San Diego airport and time is a factor, take a cab. The hotel shuttle and the attitude of the driver isn't worth the free ride. I guess if you are pinched for money and time is no concern, enjoy the shuttle area and the exhaust fumes of the busses arriving and departing and wait for the Holiday Inn shuttle.

In all fairness, I met Lola at the front desk early the morning (4 am) of my departure and she encouraged me to take the shuttle since she said a cab wouldn't be there until after the shuttle left. Lola had a great attitude and is certainly an asset to this property. I did take the shuttle and made it to the airport. The airport run isn't 5 minutes, but plan on 15 or so since your airline is never the first stop and there are many people on the bus.

I suppose that I would stay at this place again, as there are lots of nice restaurants close by and even if you have to use a cab, it's quick to the airport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 678855
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I first stayed here in 1989 and it has been a favorite of mine since. Great view and recently updated. I always have dinner at Anthony's Fish Grotto right near the hotel, another old favorite. The staff at the hotel is always friendly and accommodating. I'm sure there are many other nice hotels nearby but I have never been disappointed with my stays at this Holiday Inn. Location is also very convenient for me and close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

First I will say that this is a very nicely recently remodeled and addition added location. The new side is very nice and the rooms are great. The location is excellent if you are flying out of the airport and/or planning to visit the down town area. Staff is friendly and the on site restrurant is very good. All in all is a nice location, however.

Money grab is the name of the game. Room rates seem to be in line with most of the area. There are some cheaper hotel rooms in the area that are on the same level of quality as HI, This location as recently added a $10 parking fee to their service, which in my opinion makes it over priced for location. I normally check in and visit my room and relax until dinner, then take my rental back to turnin and catch the shuttle over. Paying $10 bucks for parking for a few hours is rediculous. My next visit will I will be checking out another location I think. If you do use this location...suggest you park on the streetside if a spot is open. Its free!

Room Tip: ask for a corner room if available
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear derrick b: Thank you so much for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us do a better job of making sure we provide the best customer service possible. I was please to see that you enjoyed your visit and were impressed with our friendly staff. I was, however, disappointed to learn about the parking difficulties you experienced. Our normal procedure is to ask if the guests will be parking overnight and if not, like in your case return your rental car, we inform guests to come back to the front desk and give us back the parking permit and we will take out the parking charge. I did refund your $10 for parking as you should not have been charged. I sincerely apologized if it was not expalined to you at check in. I will pass the information to all our staff during our next meeting to make sure that this does not happen again. Thank you for your words of praise as well as sharing your experience with us. We would like to welcome you back during a future visit to San Diego. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager
Milwaukie, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here at the Bayside for 4 nights 3/20-3/24. We booked a room in the newest building, I think they were called Executive rooms. This building had just opened in 2013, so needless to say it still had that nice new construction smell! It was nice to have a clean room and large enough for our family of 4! The onsite restaurant was nice b/c kids eat free! The pool was nice, as was the putting green area! Just felt like a nice place to relax! We would stay here again if we ever find our way back to San Diego!

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade, stay in the newest building! Very clean! Large rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the HI-Bayside for three nights. Our boys, 9 and 13, loved the on-site amenities. They spent many hours playing shuffleboard, live grass putt-putt, and ping pong. It was a little chilly for the pool, but they checked it out as well. The grounds are beautifully manicured and spotless. We opted for the kids' suite "Zoo Room," but ended up switching rooms due to the noise of the ice machines and banging housekeeping door. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. My husband and I liked the proximity to San Diego sites, and we had a great view of the harbor...not a bad way to wake up! If we are ever lucky enough to find ourselves in SD again we will stay at the HI-Bayside.

Room Tip: Try to steer clear of the ice machines and elevators. The pool side rooms seemed nice, especially i...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I travel last minute to San Diego a lot for work and the Holiday Inn Bayside always accommodates me very well (even not being IHG platinum). First and foremost this hotel is always easy on the expense report. While most other hotels in the SD area change their rates depending on the season, H I Bayside is always consistent. Best winter deal in town. Restaurants on the bay are across the street. The rooms are very recently updated and the other amenities look awesome as well (unfortunately don't get to use them as much as I'd like with work). The staff is always friendly and will work to get you the best room available. The property is also minutes from downtown (Gaslamp and Embarcadero) and even closer to little Italy. Great location and great service!

Also, whenever checking in, even if he isn't helping me, Keith always remembers me and says hi. It's those little things that make life on the road more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms in the older buildings are updated just as nice as the new building (as of last stay, they'...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business