“Lovely Stay”

Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside
Ranked #112 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 May 2014

On arrival at the hotel you drive straight into the new building and thats where you check in. Luckly we were given rooms in the new block and it is amazing. It looks so fresh and clean which it is. I didnt see inside the old building but it did look tired however im sure people staying there will still have a lovely time. Most of the staff i came into contact with are lovely and always happy to help. The hotel is in a great location and there is a restaurant on the other side of the road called Jimmy's Famous...it is amazing and during the day it has a lovely view of the harbour.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently stayed at this property and were pleasantly surprised.

I love how close this property is to the airport - a short 5 minute drive away. That was much appreciated for our family. You can hear airplane noise from the airport and the various military bases. I did not find it at all bothersome. But some who demand absolute quiet might.

The property is also very close to many attractions from beaches, to theme parks, top quality restaurants, the harbour, minutes from down town. The location is excellent in that respect.

The facility is well kept and I witnessed them taking out old furniture to keep the rooms up to date and in good repair. Our room and the rooms of others traveling in our group were decent. I love the large floor to ceiling windows with the great view of the harbour. The bed and pillow options were comfortable. The bathroom looks like it should be next on their rejuvenation program. The tub appeared quite old and thus was not inviting for us to use for a bath. But the shower part was nice and worked well. For a value priced establishment, we were pleased with what we received and feel like we received good value for our dollar. For that price point in that prime location I don't expect a gold toilet and marble floors.

The on site restaurant was surprisingly good. We had two breakfasts and a lunch there. All were good and the service - even during busy times - was very helpful, kind, and prompt.

The pool area is nice and well kept. It is great for the kids and aesthetically nice to be inviting to the adults as well.

The one thing that is not to my liking is the paid parking system and the need for using a parking pass to enter or exit the parking area. The restricted flow of traffic was an inconvenience. And I generally have a severe distaste for hotels that charge for parking. Just get it all done in one price without any unpleasant surprises. I can understand the need to protect their parking lot in a location like that. But to have to pay for the parking passes is goofy.

Room Tip: Select a room on an upper floor in either tower A or B or the main complex. The view of the harbour...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is my first stay in the new building, but I have stayed at this property many times. The new rooms are very nice and the view overlooking the bay is great, try to get as high up as you can. This hotel is comparably priced to others in the area. The only knocks on this hotel would be that they now charge $10.00 a day to park and I used to get a coupon for breakfast in their restaurant, when I checked in, I was told that they no longer offered that.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here earlier this week and found that the rooms in the new building (above reception) were fantastic. They are brand new and perfect! Comfortable beds and spotlessly clean bathrooms.
I like that wifi is included in the room price, but I dislike the charge for parking. That extra charge really grinds my gears, but its the only thing I didn't like about the stay.
Be aware that the floor to ceiling windows are not tinted, so people in the car park or from the street can see you standing at your window!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the main/new building.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caz333
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am not pleased withi this hotel at all. First I reserved a room that the listed amenities included both a fridg and microwave. There is no microwave; was told the room didn't include one. The put me in Tower A...an old building. I was assaled by a fould smell just walking into the hallway. The elevator was even worse because they must spray something to cover up the scent. The same is true of the room too, only not quite as strong.

Oh how I wish I had again stayed at Humphry's Half Moon down the way. I stayed there a couple of years ago and thouroughly enjoyed my room and the property as a whole. A very different experience indeed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear janiannd: Thank you so much for posting your review and tell us about your experience during a recent visit to the Holiday Inn Bayside. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience or discomfort you may have experineced. Based on your comments, it is obvious that our usual attention to detail was lacking. Certainly clean accomodations are standard expectations of our guests. I am truly sorry your experience was otherwise.Currently, the hotel is undergoing renovation that will include new case goods. We anticipate the renovation to be completed by May 2014. Please rest assured that your comments have been discussed with the Housekeeping Manager. We appreciate and depend on feedback from our guests to help us achieve the very best level of service possible. We hope to see you and serve you again in the future. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a great hotel with spacious rooms and great amenities. Shuttle service and attendants were very helpful and friendly and attentive. Location is within short walk to restaurants on site and across the road. I would definitely chose this hotel for next visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: South rooms are sunny and a beauty to watch the sun rise over Point Loma.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ngria
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel and as a Platinum Member they upgraded me to the main building which is relatively new. The room was nice, open and airy. I didn't like the phone being bedside and not a phone on the desk, but that's minor.

The lobby is nice and the staff is mostly friendly, depending on you encounter. You can still meet some of the hotel staff with a air of arrogance and uncaring but mostly OK. I was not impressed with the van service from the airport. I had checked in and with a very early flight, I returned my rental car the night before. I was assured by the hotel the service to and from the hotel was 5-10 minutes.

I returned the car and called the hotel for a pick up. 30 minutes later, I called the hotel again since no shuttle arrived. Finally after about 45 minutes, the driver shows up. He says the hotel is only 5 minutes away. The driver then makes two other stops and after about a full hour total, I arrive back at the hotel. I asked the driver how long the airport run takes, he was annoyed by my question and said only 5-10 minutes. I asked when does the 5-10 minute time frame start? He said from the time we leave, whatever that means. Thus, the 5-10 minutes is meaning less nomenclature that is randomly tossed about, but has no substance.

If you arrive at the San Diego airport and time is a factor, take a cab. The hotel shuttle and the attitude of the driver isn't worth the free ride. I guess if you are pinched for money and time is no concern, enjoy the shuttle area and the exhaust fumes of the busses arriving and departing and wait for the Holiday Inn shuttle.

In all fairness, I met Lola at the front desk early the morning (4 am) of my departure and she encouraged me to take the shuttle since she said a cab wouldn't be there until after the shuttle left. Lola had a great attitude and is certainly an asset to this property. I did take the shuttle and made it to the airport. The airport run isn't 5 minutes, but plan on 15 or so since your airline is never the first stop and there are many people on the bus.

I suppose that I would stay at this place again, as there are lots of nice restaurants close by and even if you have to use a cab, it's quick to the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo