“Great Location for Point Loma”

Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside
Ranked #111 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Yuba City, CA
“Great Location for Point Loma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My daughter and I have stayed here twice while visiting her Navy boyfriend stationed at nearby Point Loma NS. The location is conveniently located near the airport, the Point Loma and Sunset Cliffs scenery, and is only a short drive from downtown. The property was clean and pleasant, the rooms were comfortable and light-filled. We ate at the associated restaurant and ordered from room service during our week-long stay; we were quite pleased with our meals. No complaints whatsoever. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SML-Travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

On arrival at the hotel you drive straight into the new building and thats where you check in. Luckly we were given rooms in the new block and it is amazing. It looks so fresh and clean which it is. I didnt see inside the old building but it did look tired however im sure people staying there will still have a lovely time. Most of the staff i came into contact with are lovely and always happy to help. The hotel is in a great location and there is a restaurant on the other side of the road called Jimmy's Famous...it is amazing and during the day it has a lovely view of the harbour.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently stayed at this property and were pleasantly surprised.

I love how close this property is to the airport - a short 5 minute drive away. That was much appreciated for our family. You can hear airplane noise from the airport and the various military bases. I did not find it at all bothersome. But some who demand absolute quiet might.

The property is also very close to many attractions from beaches, to theme parks, top quality restaurants, the harbour, minutes from down town. The location is excellent in that respect.

The facility is well kept and I witnessed them taking out old furniture to keep the rooms up to date and in good repair. Our room and the rooms of others traveling in our group were decent. I love the large floor to ceiling windows with the great view of the harbour. The bed and pillow options were comfortable. The bathroom looks like it should be next on their rejuvenation program. The tub appeared quite old and thus was not inviting for us to use for a bath. But the shower part was nice and worked well. For a value priced establishment, we were pleased with what we received and feel like we received good value for our dollar. For that price point in that prime location I don't expect a gold toilet and marble floors.

The on site restaurant was surprisingly good. We had two breakfasts and a lunch there. All were good and the service - even during busy times - was very helpful, kind, and prompt.

The pool area is nice and well kept. It is great for the kids and aesthetically nice to be inviting to the adults as well.

The one thing that is not to my liking is the paid parking system and the need for using a parking pass to enter or exit the parking area. The restricted flow of traffic was an inconvenience. And I generally have a severe distaste for hotels that charge for parking. Just get it all done in one price without any unpleasant surprises. I can understand the need to protect their parking lot in a location like that. But to have to pay for the parking passes is goofy.

Room Tip: Select a room on an upper floor in either tower A or B or the main complex. The view of the harbour...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Green Cove Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is my first stay in the new building, but I have stayed at this property many times. The new rooms are very nice and the view overlooking the bay is great, try to get as high up as you can. This hotel is comparably priced to others in the area. The only knocks on this hotel would be that they now charge $10.00 a day to park and I used to get a coupon for breakfast in their restaurant, when I checked in, I was told that they no longer offered that.

• Stayed April 2014
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here earlier this week and found that the rooms in the new building (above reception) were fantastic. They are brand new and perfect! Comfortable beds and spotlessly clean bathrooms.
I like that wifi is included in the room price, but I dislike the charge for parking. That extra charge really grinds my gears, but its the only thing I didn't like about the stay.
Be aware that the floor to ceiling windows are not tinted, so people in the car park or from the street can see you standing at your window!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the main/new building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caz333
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am not pleased withi this hotel at all. First I reserved a room that the listed amenities included both a fridg and microwave. There is no microwave; was told the room didn't include one. The put me in Tower A...an old building. I was assaled by a fould smell just walking into the hallway. The elevator was even worse because they must spray something to cover up the scent. The same is true of the room too, only not quite as strong.

Oh how I wish I had again stayed at Humphry's Half Moon down the way. I stayed there a couple of years ago and thouroughly enjoyed my room and the property as a whole. A very different experience indeed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Rhinna M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear janiannd: Thank you so much for posting your review and tell us about your experience during a recent visit to the Holiday Inn Bayside. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience or discomfort you may have experineced. Based on your comments, it is obvious that our usual attention to detail was lacking. Certainly clean accomodations are standard expectations of our guests. I am truly sorry your experience was otherwise.Currently, the hotel is undergoing renovation that will include new case goods. We anticipate the renovation to be completed by May 2014. Please rest assured that your comments have been discussed with the Housekeeping Manager. We appreciate and depend on feedback from our guests to help us achieve the very best level of service possible. We hope to see you and serve you again in the future. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Rooms Division Manager
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a great hotel with spacious rooms and great amenities. Shuttle service and attendants were very helpful and friendly and attentive. Location is within short walk to restaurants on site and across the road. I would definitely chose this hotel for next visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: South rooms are sunny and a beauty to watch the sun rise over Point Loma.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business