“great location, great city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edwardsville
“great location, great city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Nice clean hotel with a wonderful pool. Concierge very helpful in getting discount tickets to Sea World. Overall, a great stay. However, I was very disappointed in how registered guests were treated during the time a professional baseball team was exiting the lobby. Also, to have stayed eight nights at a cost of well over $1000, we did not get even a thank you from the check out desk. I may be old fashioned in regard to manners, but I believe that reflects very poorly on a service industry.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrew N
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with Trip Advisor. I am disappionted to hear of your departure experience. No one guest is more important than another and when hosting professional teams, there are additional requirements for security to their contract, but this should not affect our other guests' experience. I am sincerely sorry for this and will revisit our process based on your feedback. I am happy to read the rest of your stay went well and you enjoyed the location, pool and concierge team. We can do better than this and hope we will get another opportunity with you in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I rented a car and park by myself at Horton plaza flat rate parking. Entrance is at 1st ave. it says $15 flat rate but it was only $10 when I parked there. This is not the mall customer parking, which has 3 hour free parking for mall visitors. You can park overnight after hours, but no in-and-out by one ticket.
I rented a car at Herzt at Hyatt, costed about $55 per day including tax and fee, was a nice small Nissan car. if you ask for rental car for small car, Westin will recommend a small local company, which costs the similar price ($40+tax and fees). However, this local company will more likely give you Kia cars, unless you pay more. I did not rent at this local company.

If you do not know how gaslamp distric looks like, you better research before you book this hotel. Gaslamp at night is a chaos and not kids friendly area. but I did not feel unsafe. I guess lots of adults are simply enjoying drinking at the bars. I just did not like this chaotic area. I will book elsewhere if i come back to San Diego.

Room Tip: They do charge Internet for $10 per day, and very slow. I am wondering if you can negotiate for free...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank sushi-suki
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to read of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay here in San Diego. The Gaslamp is well known for the restaurants, night life and shopping. It is a safe area and has a lot to offer during the day and night.
There are options for parking and it appears you found one. I would caution that this lot and rate have tight restrictions - when you can enter and when you have to depart, no in and out privileges and minimal surveillance for your vehicles safety. We do not recommend these other locations for many reasons, including the restrictions. If you miss the specifics, it could cost you $60/night vs the published $10/night. Park with caution in city lots and ramps and be sure to read the fine print. Some of these options work for people but again, the hotel does not recommend it.
We hope you will come back to San Diego in the future and hopefully knowing the city a bit better, can find a location that best suits your needs.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Westin Gaslamp:  Tripadvisor

This hotel has just gone through extensive renovations.  The lobby is beautiful, modern and spacious.  Staff were very nice and welcoming as we arrived and checked in.  When checking in I asked about internet access, to which the reply was a disappointment.  We each have our own iPads and have them with us when traveling.  If each of us wanted to have internet access at the same time, we would each need to pay $9.95 per day or have only one of us using one internet code on one iPad at a time to avoid paying double this charge per day.  There wasn't even a deal available as we would be paying this double charge for a 4 night stay e.g. stay 2 or more nights and pay a lower rate or something like that.  So in the end when we check out, they will have raked in $80 from us (yikes!).   I find it a gouge when hotels charge you for internet access.  How much extra overhead do they really incur by offering this to guests?
Our last hotel in Palm Springs had a $15/day resort fee which covered many things, including internet access regardless of how many computers per room were using it.

Other than that, location for the Westin Gaslamp is very good.  Close to many attractions within walking distance.  You'll need to either drive or take transit if you want to visit the zoo or Seaworld however.  Our room was nice and modern and a big bonus is that the windows actually open to get fresh air (unlike a lot of new hotels that have sealed windows).  At times however there was a bit of obnoxious crowd noise from the streets below which was annoying.  There is also a mini fridge in the room which was handy to keep a few small food items and drinks in.

Although a very nice hotel and good location, we will likely stay elsewhere on our next visit to San Diego where there is a better deal on internet charges.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2000neon
Thank you for sharing your kind feedback of our recently transformed property with Trip Advisor. It truly feels "Westin" now and has all the new design features, like the living wall, front desk pods and the re-energized venues. I have shared your feedback with our IT Manager on how to accommodate travelers with more than one device at an affordable rate. This is something we are looking at companywide.

We do offer complimentary internet to our Gold and Platinum SPG guests, as well as, several room packages include WI-FI complimentary. We also offer a free 30 minutes in our lobby for any registered guest. I understand this doesn't completely solve the experience you shared but I am hoping the options will outweigh the challenges and entice you to give Westin's another try when traveling.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Annual vacation with 2 children ages 11 and 8. The overall stay was impeccable. The pool, service,location... probably one of the best hotels i have stayed at.The oncierge service was very helpful and even helped us negotiate some discounted rates with a ar rental company. The outdoor Horton plaza mall that surrounds the hotel provided a easy escape from all the sightseeing opportunities. There is also a full grocery store less than 1 block away.

Room Tip: As the hotel handles a lot of conventions, the higher you are up, the longer the wait for the elevat...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am happy to read your overall stay with us exceeded your expectations. Our concierge team is fantastic and I am so delighted they were able to assist you in more than just recommendations and reservations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another annual vacation.

Be Well,
Flintshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We really enjoyed our 9 night stay in The Westin, Gaslamp Quarter. The room was stylishly decorated with a huge bed and everything we needed including toiletries, an iron and ironing-board and safe. The room also had a kettle/coffee perculator but our only complaint would be that tea-bags were limited for those who don't drink coffee. We also paid over $11 to have a pot of tea brought to our room by room service late one evening.

The views over the harbour were fantastic and the pool area and jacuzzi were great for lazy days and evenings.

On the whole, we really enjoyed our stay at the Westin and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Be careful because parking is extremely expensive in this hotel, they charge $32 dollars per day, they also believe or not charge $10 per day for WI-FI, all together is almost $50 extra dollars per day, I did complaint about this with the front desk but they didn't care.

Room Tip: Very expensive Valet Parking and Wi-Fi
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Joe S
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with Trip Advisor from your recent stay at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am terrible read of your surprise of our parking charges. We do our very best to communicate these charges to all our third partying booking channels, as well as, have it posted on our own website and with our central reservations. Our parking is comparable to other like properties in the downtown area and currently we are on the lower end. Valet parking can range from $32 - $43/night. Again, I am sorry this additional charge caught you off guard.

I hope the overall service, location and amenities of the hotel helped to offer you an relaxing experience.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Came here for a weekend away, the Hotel itself is great, my issues are with the HouseKeeping staff and in part the Concierge/ Hotel operator. My room was never cleaned and we were there for 3 days and 2 nights. The room wasn't that clean to begin with, but to my horror I had to call TWICE to get any answers as to why it was not cleaned after our first night in the room. We came back from a day out and about in the city at around 3 in the afternoon, and the housekeepers had not even set foot in our room. I called the concierge(since it was the only button on the phone that seemed to work) and was told by an old lady with an accent that someone would be up shortly to clean, Cool. We went down stairs to the bar for a few drinks so that the room could be cleaned. An hour later we returned and the room was just as we had left it.
I called again, spoke with the same old lady (Arleen? Ilene?) and was told that I should have called the Operator the first time. OK really? 1) Should I really have to call to get my room cleaned? and 2) Shouldn't this old lady have given me that information in the first place instead of telling me that someone would be up in a minute to clean? Why waste my time? So I call the Operator Danielle, only to be informed that the Housekeeping staff had gone home for the day. Thanks. I was informed that when the Housekeepers went by in the morning the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on the door. Um... No We did not even have one of those signs for the room. Maybe someone got lazy and decided to skip the room? Maybe we should have said something in Spanish to get a clean room?
After Danielle decided that it was our fault that we did not have a clean room, she said she would ask the Supervisor if something could be done to our room and asked what we would like. Really? again? We want a CLEAN room. So frustrating. When we got back from dinner that night, there were some clean towels and some more shampoo and they picked up our old towels too. Wow How thoughtful for 280.00 a night you think they could have made the bed and changed the sheets (we left the card on the bed indicating that was a service we would like, so no trying to get out of that one Westin Gaslamp) OTHER that that everything else was very nice and was what I have come to expect when staying at a Westin.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for providing Trip Advisor with such detailed feedback. I have taken the opportunity to pull our team together to try and understand where we missed so many opportunities with you during your stay. It is quite unfortunate and I sincerely apologize. This is not the norm and we were truly far from being at our best. It is only through guest feedback like yours, that we are able to look at our processes and fine turn them from time to time. Thank you for providing us with the gift of feedback. I am sorry it doesn't change the experience you had and I hope you will give our team and hotel another try should you come back to San Diego. Feel free to reach out to me directly and I would be happy to assist with your accommodations.