“VERY DAMP”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Like many hotels in larger, older cities, this hotel has been rehabbed. The finishes are lovely and on par for a Westin. However, the rooms are very humid. This could be from a lack of ventilation in the bathrooms, or some other ventilation issue. My room actually smelled like mildew toward the end of my visit. Additionally, the ceiling in my room appeared to have had water stains recently painted over. The dampness was a complaint among my travel companions as well. Those with chronic respiratory issues or allergies should reconsider staying here. The meeting rooms were perfect for our needs and the service top notch as always. This particular hotel is in the Gaslamp Quarter, which chock full of eateries and bars and not far from Coronado Island. I just can't rate it higher because of the worrying dampness of the room.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Kara D,
I am glad you felt the meeting rooms were perfect and the service was top notch. It is truly what we are known for and thanks for the acknowledgement.
In terms of dampness, I have stayed here at the hotel for over 3 month and I actually thought my room was too dry due to the weather in San Diego so I must say we had a completly opposite expereince. It is really hard to be damp in San Diego with little to no rain.
Call me and let me know more so that I can look into it again.
Looking forward to hear from you.

619 238 2615

Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The property is showing its age. I had a few maintenance issues with my room which were promptly dealt with. Rooms are nicely appointed, comfortable bed. Missed not having a concierge lounge. Location near Horton Plaza and many restaurants is a plus.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

MNPilot,
Nicely appointed and comfortable bed, it is. We just went through a $25M renovation and most of our guests are praising our product. However, I know I service is second to none. Next time you visit us, please share your experience on our first class service. Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp this past weekend. Everything was wonderful from the valet, through the check-in, slumber, pool, coffee, check-out, and departure. Everything ... except ... my daughter left her fluffy blue slippers - new from Xmas. A call to the hotel upon our return to Los Angeles - the slippers were found within 30 minutes and FedEx'd to our home. We now have the fluffy blue slippers in our possession, and would return the the Westin without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Evan M
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Evan M,

What a great review! Not only was I pleased to know how much you enjoyed the hotel (the Heavenly Bed is hard to beat!), but I was particularly happy (yet not surprised) to read how the staff jumped to it and ensured your daughter’s slippers were returned as quickly as possible. We have a terrific team here and it’s always gratifying to hear stories such as yours and to be able to share them with our staff.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip down from LA!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We live in SD and just stayed here one night so our daughter could have out house. We were war my greeted and service was prompt. We enjoyed our room and it was very clean. We got a list of nearby restaurants and had an overall great experience. Would use again if we needed a local place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peggyf532
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would like to extend a big THANK YOU to the staff at the Westin. I was there for a military ball a few weeks ago and I was so impressed. Everything the hotel had designed and set-up for the military and their guests was AMAZING! The most amazing part was the staff. I stayed here for a few days before and after the ball and was sincerely touched by the wonderful staff. The valet guys out front, Andy and Thomas, the front desk girls inside Bri and Shayna and the wonderful event coordinator Mary. All these people made our night and my staff so special. Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janellj4
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Hotel and rooms were clean. Super location and close to restaurants, bars, and clubs. Valet were attentive. I was somewhat disappointed that there was no shuttle available to airport considering it was not too far. They offered a voucher which the taxi driver still charged our credit card $13.00 They asked us if we would help and go green which I agreed and have done at other hotels. They gave me (2) $5 vochers which we used for Starbucks Coffee downstairs. Though when you agree to go green I didn't realize that you opt of having housekeeping. We were there for 3 nights and not once did housekeeping come. At other hotels when you go green you agree to keep the same towels and linen but housekeeping still came. It being a 4 Star Hotel I would have expected at least housekeeping to come by to dispose of trash, restock toilet paper, and soap, etc. I'm really a clean and neat person and really that is all what housekeeping would have had to do. We even made our own beds. If we had housekeeping I would have given at least 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ImportedTexan

ImportedTexan,
Clean, super attentive and great location. Thanks for wonderful acknowledgment. Also, thank you for participating on our Make a green choice program. Thanks to your participation and others, we are able to reduce carbon foot prints significantly. Next time you participate, please let us know if you need m ore towels or light refresh. We are on standby to make it happen for you.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Everyone at the hotel has been very accommodating and genuinely friendly. Breakfast buffet priced like most hotels, around $20, but included make your own omelette option. The omelette was heavenly! Connected to Westfield Horton Plaza, location couldn't be better! Many great stores to shop the day away! bExpert tip - grab a slice at Yonker's Pizza between stores. Great selection of specialty pies, awesome specials!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jamie F,

Happy New Year! So nice to know that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. I was especially pleased to read how much you enjoyed breakfast in Pinzimini! The breakfast buffet is one of our most popular options and I’m happy you enjoyed the experience.

Hope to see you again the next time you head to the West coast!

Be well,