“Sunny San Diego”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Sunny San Diego”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This was organized by SPG as the hotel I booked was no longer with Sheraton. Great central location with everything you need in walking distance. Great staff. Special shout out to Paul on the bellman's desk, he is extremely pleasant and shows great concern for your comfort. Definitely recommend for first time visitors to SD

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Sully1953

Thank you for the special shout-out to Paul! He is one of our many star associates and I will make sure he has a chance to read your review.

I was also pleased to learn that our SPG desk was able to help you find the perfect hotel in the perfect location! Our award winning SPG program is extremely popular, and with so many brands to choose from it's nice to have the chance to experience a different hotel within the Starwood family.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back San Diego.

Be well,

Keri Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tours, France
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed there in spring 2013 for a fiew nights. The room and the bathroom were comfortable but it looked a little bit "old" compared to the rest of the hotel and would need some king of refreshing. Delicious breakfast. The wifi is not free which is quite surprising in a business hotel….Cabs are most of time available just in front of the hotel. Don't hesitate to go shopping and especially in the Mall.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jackson, MS
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Like many hotels in larger, older cities, this hotel has been rehabbed. The finishes are lovely and on par for a Westin. However, the rooms are very humid. This could be from a lack of ventilation in the bathrooms, or some other ventilation issue. My room actually smelled like mildew toward the end of my visit. Additionally, the ceiling in my room appeared to have had water stains recently painted over. The dampness was a complaint among my travel companions as well. Those with chronic respiratory issues or allergies should reconsider staying here. The meeting rooms were perfect for our needs and the service top notch as always. This particular hotel is in the Gaslamp Quarter, which chock full of eateries and bars and not far from Coronado Island. I just can't rate it higher because of the worrying dampness of the room.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Kara D,
I am glad you felt the meeting rooms were perfect and the service was top notch. It is truly what we are known for and thanks for the acknowledgement.
In terms of dampness, I have stayed here at the hotel for over 3 month and I actually thought my room was too dry due to the weather in San Diego so I must say we had a completly opposite expereince. It is really hard to be damp in San Diego with little to no rain.
Call me and let me know more so that I can look into it again.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
619 238 2615
Solebury, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The property is showing its age. I had a few maintenance issues with my room which were promptly dealt with. Rooms are nicely appointed, comfortable bed. Missed not having a concierge lounge. Location near Horton Plaza and many restaurants is a plus.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
MNPilot,
Nicely appointed and comfortable bed, it is. We just went through a $25M renovation and most of our guests are praising our product. However, I know I service is second to none. Next time you visit us, please share your experience on our first class service. Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp this past weekend. Everything was wonderful from the valet, through the check-in, slumber, pool, coffee, check-out, and departure. Everything ... except ... my daughter left her fluffy blue slippers - new from Xmas. A call to the hotel upon our return to Los Angeles - the slippers were found within 30 minutes and FedEx'd to our home. We now have the fluffy blue slippers in our possession, and would return the the Westin without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Evan M
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Evan M,

What a great review! Not only was I pleased to know how much you enjoyed the hotel (the Heavenly Bed is hard to beat!), but I was particularly happy (yet not surprised) to read how the staff jumped to it and ensured your daughter’s slippers were returned as quickly as possible. We have a terrific team here and it’s always gratifying to hear stories such as yours and to be able to share them with our staff.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip down from LA!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We live in SD and just stayed here one night so our daughter could have out house. We were war my greeted and service was prompt. We enjoyed our room and it was very clean. We got a list of nearby restaurants and had an overall great experience. Would use again if we needed a local place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peggyf532
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would like to extend a big THANK YOU to the staff at the Westin. I was there for a military ball a few weeks ago and I was so impressed. Everything the hotel had designed and set-up for the military and their guests was AMAZING! The most amazing part was the staff. I stayed here for a few days before and after the ball and was sincerely touched by the wonderful staff. The valet guys out front, Andy and Thomas, the front desk girls inside Bri and Shayna and the wonderful event coordinator Mary. All these people made our night and my staff so special. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple