The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
US$115
US$99
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$512
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$236
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$198
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$226
US$276
US$220
US$320
US$206
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$310
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$126
1,819 results
All reviewsgaslamp quarterhorton plazagreat locationheavenly bedwithin walking distanceconcierge deskvalet parkingstarbucks coffeeconvention centerbars and restaurantsgas lampvalet serviceper nightpetco parkhotel restaurantuss midwayseaport village
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is very well situated. High standard throughout except perhaps for slow lifts tucked away in a corner. The guest rooms are very nice being a good size, nicely muted furnishings and decoration and well equipped in an efficient and also pleasing aesthetic manner. The bed and pillows are extremely good and the room is silent so excellent for sleeping - which is the most critical element of a hotel. Bathroom is also good, albeit the shower lacks pressure, but that may reflect the drought conditions locally. Reception area and bar are excellent with adequate seating whilst retaining a clean fresh open look. Staff are excellent - both helpful, especially reception, and friendly. The only thing holding this back from an excellent rating is the restaurant facilities. The Italian cafe might well serve good food, but is empty so not very welcoming. However, the location has lots of good restaurants nearby, so not an issue, except perhaps for a business person by themselves. Breakfast on Sun morning did not have the buffet, which is understandable due to lack of potential custom, but it means one has to go a la carte so ends up with tasty but unhealthy food (I had the muesli which was tasty but way over-sweetened). WiFi works fine in the lobby are for free. I'd certainly stay again.

Room Tip: 1627 was very quiet, though that may be because not many conference delegates were on that top floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Westin Gaslamp Quarter right behind the old Horton Plaza. Upgraded and our rate included a very nice breakfast. We also received a free drink. Valet parking was $36.00 per night our room was $179.00 a night. The room was nice with a king bed. It was modern with a small bathroom and ordinary bath amenities.
We were on the 15th floor with a view of Downtown. Overall, not special. However, the staff was all friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burnie D
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Burnie D,
Thank you for your review. Nice upgrade, free drink and breakfast. That alone sounds good and special but the most special thing about our hotel is our friendly staff as you described. It is our associates who makes our guests stay special.
Please come visit us again so that we can create that special moment for you.
Looking forwaqrd to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed for two days at this Westin. The good: Room size is decent, flat-screen TV, comfy bed, good night's sleep. The not-so-good: $13 for wifi (I do not understand this at all - if I can get wifi free at an aloft, why does starwood make me pay for it at a Westin??), views just so-so (I'm staring at buildings, although they advertise views of the bay), water pressure sort of eh. Plus, there's an odd smell in my room - like someone had been smoking in it. The hotel has been renovated recently they say, but it still smells like this used to be a smoking room. The location is also sort of odd - good that it's in the Gaslamp District, making it convenient to restaurants and bars. But it's also next to a downtown shopping mall and sort of out of the way. You're not really in the middle of everything, but not far either.

Would I stay here again? Sure. But would I look to stay here again? Not so much.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Jgoldscher,
I am glad our room size, comfy bed (our very own Heavenly Bed) and LCD HD TV led to a good night sleep. It does not look like you had much interaction with your associates as there wasn't any comment about our service. I love our newly renovated rooms too but our biggest strength is our associates. We have great service and I would like for you to experience it next time. Hope to welcome you back again to create life time memories.

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Strengths: incredibly comfortable bed, great buffet food at meeting, central location. Friendly staff.

Areas for improvement: slow elevators with large conferences, gym is Ok but could use a few additions and the AV part of the ellipticals was erratic.

overall, I'd stay there again. The beds are exceptional

• Stayed: January 2014
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear salar36

Thank you for the detailed review! I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your room and the wonderful Heavenly bed in particular. We’ll look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the West Coast.

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson

Reviewed 17 January 2014

The only thing this hotel has going for them is the location. It is connected to the main mall, directly downtown, and right next to the NBC building. No more than a 5 minute walk to all of the best food, resturaunts and attractions.

When checking in at 7:30am on a Sunday, there was only one person on staff. She was too busy flirting with 3 college aged boys to notice me impatiently waiting. However, they did check me in immediately, even though I was 6 hours early.

The carpets were filthy, dirty smelly and stained. This was throughout the entire building. The rooms were big sized, with a great view of the dumpster. The shower looks great at first.... with a waterfall spout. However, the noise it makes could give a migraine a headache. As well as the noise that the showers in the rooms on either side, below, and above you make. It sounds like 50 hammers on metal for the entire time the water was on. At first, we thought something was wrong... but we heard it in all the rooms around us, as well as the rooms by the elevators.

My biggest complaint/concern about this location is the fire escape/elevator plan. I just left my conference and waited 10 minutes in the lobby for an elevator... to which I got inpatient and went up to the next floor.. and saw a line at that one. To which I went up to the next floor and saw the same thing. Considering I was only on the 6th floor, I was going to take the stairs. I looked at the emergency exit plans by the elevators.. and saw three staircases. However 2 of the 3 were supposedly "employee access only" and the other one only went down. If this were a fire.. I would be greatly concerned. When we asked an employee, they took us to the stairs on the complete opposite side of the floor.. which went back to the lobby. I was literally stranded.

I finally found an unmarked door, with no exit signs near it, as stairs that would lead me up. Once on my floor, its not like that helped considering there were no signs indicating which direction the room numbers went in.

All in all, I would be severely concerned about the ease in finding stairwells for a fire escape. While this is certainly not something I look for in hotels.. when approached with the problem it extremely concerned me.

The outdated lobby, filthy and dirt-ridden floors were also unappealing to ever recommend this as a place to stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KimberlyBix
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

KimberlyBix,
While I was reading your review, I had to question myself if we were talking about the same hotel. We just went through a 25million dollar renovation so we are as modern as you can get, if you look at all the comments, one comment that comes up all the time is clean. We take great pride in our property and we spend a lot of time maintaining the new look.
In terms of your biggest complaint, when there is an emergency in the building, we would recommend you to evacuate out of the building and we have many different routes for you to do so throughout the building.
When your schedule includes San Diego, please let me know. I would like to personally tour you the hotel so that we can change your perception.
Looking forward to hear from you.