“I love Westin Hotels”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I just love the Westin Hotels with their very comfortable beds. The Westin San Diego Gaslamp District is located next to the shopping Mall and all restaurants, shops and the Marina are walkable. Very nice breakfast Restaurant. Absolutely to recommend

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have written a couple of reviews of this hotel during the last year as I stay here frequently. I choose this hotel for the staff - everyone from the bellman to front deck, to sales to management and bar/restaurnat staff. All provide a common front - cheerful, happy, attentive to needs and friendly. One such person is Marissa, one of the bar/restaurant staff. Always happy and smiling, Marissa appears to enjoy her work.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Quiet room at the end of the hallway provided for a good sleep for my stay (14 nights). The room had the comfort I've come to expect from 7 years as a Platinum member.

The hotels package delivery service allowed me to avoid airline fees and the risk of lost luggage. Call the hotel operator to arrange delivery to your room; some staff are not familiar with this service or how it works.

Restaurant staff were all pleasant, fast, and happily cover for each-other (work as a team). Kim stands out for offering a drink to-go. The continental breakfast is reasonable (fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, etc.) but the hot items were a little lacking compared to other Westin locations (basic scrambled eggs, salty bacon, undercooked potatoes, omelet to order).

Concierge staff are knowledgeable of the area and can answer obscure questions like "where is the best place to photograph hummingbirds?" with the answer being Balboa Park, and the more mundane "where is the nearest laundromat?".

The hotel gets surges of business people during a conferences, both in the hotel and the nearby convention center, which can make for long elevator wait times. Outside of those periods the hotel runs like a well oiled machine.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I always enjoy the Westin (helloooo dream bed). This location has recently been renovated and I love the modern look. The vertical garden in the lobby area is cool. The service has been fantastic here from the guy who welcomed me outside through the person who checked me in and, in particular, the servers in the hotel restaurant and bar. This morning, Kimberly waited on me and she was terrific. She was pleasant and quick and even brought me a nice hot tea to go since the weather is a touch gloomy.

My only criticism of the property is that the hot tub looked pretty foamy and that grossed me out. I have a tub and know that it means the PH is likely off. They have to monitor that more closely! It looked this way every time I walked by!

Overall, great accommodations, great service, and stellar location. Give it a try if you are heading to San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear lamnicolelam,

I so enjoyed reading your review and was thrilled that you found the hotel and staff to be fantastic – the beds in particular. Did you know you can have a Heavenly Bed of your very own so you can enjoy a heavenly sleep every night! Information on purchasing a bed can be found at www.westin-hotelsathome.com or through our partnership with Nordstrom and Pottery Barn.

Thank you for mentioning Kimberly in our restaurant and for your comments about the whirlpool. I will make sure our maintenance team takes action so this can be avoided in the future.

Best,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My children and I stayed here during the renovation and as one can imagine there were a few things going on with construction and such. We had the pleasure of re-visiting the Hotel a few weeks ago and we were very pleased with the outcome of the renovations. The staff was amazing on both occasions. The new decor is beautiful. This is by far the best location in San Diego.While traveling with kids it is always a hassle to get in the car every time we want to venture out. This location allows you so many great experiences within walking distance....so very little need for a car once you've checked in. We enjoyed the outdoor ice skating rink that was set up just feet away from the hotel entrance, and the mall is literally steps away. Got a chance to sit at the new bar/restaurant area and the bartenders were all very friendly. The food selection was great and everything we ordered was amazing. The small coffee shop was very convenient when we needed to feed the kids on the go. The staff was all extremely helpful and room service was great. A special thank you to the front desk Manager Mathew Teylor who helped make our check in process extremely fast and easy.

When in San Diego I will always come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Laurieruiz,

“Best location and service in the Gaslamp district!” It sure doesn’t get any better than that! I’m so glad you chose to return and experience our hotel post renovation. There definitely have been some amazing changes! I was also very happy to know that Matthew provided you with excellent service. I will make sure he gets a copy of your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time and until then, be well!.

Best,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this Westin Hotel a couple of weeks back. The front desk manager (Gabe Nettesheim) did a great job welcoming me to the hotel and registering me. He was polite, helpful, and informative. However, it did not prepare me for what was to happen next.

I also discovered then that I had lost my cell phone…. somewhere between the airport and the hotel. The front desk was not busy at the time and Gabe took it upon himself to help me track down the phone by calling the airport, the taxi company, the airline, and notifying other front desk staff by email about the loss. It was incredibly helpful. I got calls back from all these places later on, and Gabe followed up with me the next day to find out if I had had any success. As it turned out, I never did recover my phone but his initiative and his assistance exceeded anything I had ever experienced before at any hotel. His outreach was inspirational, the sort of kindness that makes one believe in the goodness of people again!

If this is the kind of service I can expect at a Westin, why is there a need to stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mark K.

I can’t tell you how rewarding it was to read about your experience here at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. Gabe is one of our many superstars and I was very proud to know that his actions and kindness made such a lasting impression. And I agree, why indeed would there be the need to stay anywhere else!

Thank you again for sharing your story. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Diego. Hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is very well situated. High standard throughout except perhaps for slow lifts tucked away in a corner. The guest rooms are very nice being a good size, nicely muted furnishings and decoration and well equipped in an efficient and also pleasing aesthetic manner. The bed and pillows are extremely good and the room is silent so excellent for sleeping - which is the most critical element of a hotel. Bathroom is also good, albeit the shower lacks pressure, but that may reflect the drought conditions locally. Reception area and bar are excellent with adequate seating whilst retaining a clean fresh open look. Staff are excellent - both helpful, especially reception, and friendly. The only thing holding this back from an excellent rating is the restaurant facilities. The Italian cafe might well serve good food, but is empty so not very welcoming. However, the location has lots of good restaurants nearby, so not an issue, except perhaps for a business person by themselves. Breakfast on Sun morning did not have the buffet, which is understandable due to lack of potential custom, but it means one has to go a la carte so ends up with tasty but unhealthy food (I had the muesli which was tasty but way over-sweetened). WiFi works fine in the lobby are for free. I'd certainly stay again.

Room Tip: 1627 was very quiet, though that may be because not many conference delegates were on that top floor