“Amazing getaway!”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We love this hotel, especially since they remodeled the lobby & front desk area. We come to San Diego 2-3 times a year and always stay here. The location is perfect for going to a Padre game, exploring the city and enjoying the night life in the Gaslamp District.
This visit was a quick getaway after our son's wedding to relax and recover. Tiffany at the front desk upgraded us to a suite since we were gold members....WOW. it was incredible. She made our time there a memorable experience. She even sent us champagne!
What a great employee to represent the Westin hotel and a memory we will share with others.

Room Tip: Love a bay room view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl E
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Cheryl E,

Wow! It certainly does sound like you had a great getaway. And congratulations to your son and new daughter-in-law! I am so glad you enjoyed interacting with Tiffany. She’s one of our many terrific associates and I will make sure she knows how much you appreciated her efforts.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are down this way.

Be well,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is in an ideal spot in San Diego. So many restaurants within walking distance. And bars and lounges. We walked to Petco Field for a baseball game. The hotel is excellent. Front desk staff so helpful and friendly. I really felt like they were glad to have me there! My room was clean, comfortable and welcoming. I especially appreciated the foam pillows which were not just filled with pieces of foam, but an entire solid foam - very much appreciated by a stomach sleeper! I slept so well. The bar area was very nice. We had a big group standing together and as more of our group arrived, the server was right there to take more drink orders. I ate breakfast the last morning there and it was perfectly done. The rest of the time, the hotel provided our large group with breakfast, lunch, and one evening social hour. Every one of those events were handled without a hitch. And again, the staff was smiling and extremely helpful. Our meeting accommodations were well done. I hope I get the chance to go back soon. It was definitely a positive experience. Oh, and the entrance to Macy's is basically in the same building! Led to a very large mall. Between stores was all outside which is fine with San Diego weather. So not problem enjoying going from store to store. Could have used a other couple of days to enjoy the sights and the hotel's great service.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in the hotel. Views are very special everywhere.

Dear pfdb,

I agree! This is a wonderful place to stay. And I too, hope you get the chance to return soon. As you mentioned, there is so much to do and see, and of course the best part is that it’s all within walking distance. Next time, be sure to visit the Gaslamp Quarter where there are literally hundreds of restaurants, shops and entertainment venues just steps away.

Best,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Frequently staying at this hotel for the last few months for work. Can't say enough about all the staff at the hotel, front desk, bar staff, bellman, valets and support personnel. Truly exceptional service. Emma, Shayna, Gab, Brianna (front desk); Michelle, Marisa, Rodrigo, Ani (bar).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ozbundy

Dear Ozbundy,

First, I’d like to thank you for continually staying with us while you are in town. And secondly, I appreciate you mentioning several of our staff members. It is very rewarding to know that you feel the service you receive each time is exceptional. We strive to make every guest’s stay a memorable one and it’s wonderful to read when we succeed.

We look forward to seeing you next time,

Be well,

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We couldn't be happier with hotel in the gaslamp district of sd. The hotel is an excellent area and has access to a shopping mall and plenty of restaurants. The concierge was extremely helpful and provided excellent recommendations and called ahead for special service at the restaurant.

I used the gym and pool and they were very nice and the pool deck was comfortable to read a book or newspaper.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff. I have stayed at lot of westin properties but this one had some of the most courteous and helpful staff. They made the stay 10 times better. This is a great hotel and I am sure you will find some of the same things that I did as guest.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Was here for a conference - not usually a Westin fan, but this property was great. Literally dozens of restaurants in walking distance, very friendly staff in bar and at concierge desk (the women there were wonderful). The heavenly bed is heavenly - the conference support people were really good, too.

Room Tip: Water views are nice, of course. Fourth and fifth floor will have pool noise at times.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is a conveniently located hotel near the airport, the zoo, the gas-lamp quarter, Balboa park. Cabs aren't cheap, but there are lots of restaurants and shopping in walking distance. I was here for a conference. I was in an average room with a view of the bay. The beds are quite comfortable. The housekeeping was good. The hotel staff was responsive. The concierge was delightful. There are some typical things like ugly carpet that needs cleaning and my hotel room smelled a little musty. Conference buffet food was good. It wasn't super great but it wasn't awful rubber chicken either. It was prom night one evening in the hotel, and watching all the kids go through the lobby in their fancy dresses. I heard a few guests complain about the noise, but they were warned in advance and the prom was over promptly when they said it would be over. I would come here again ether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel couple of times before and each time was great. Very accommodating and sincere staff that would go out of their way to help you out. I don't write a lot of reviews, but this time I have to share my experience because of the level of hospitality that Michele (our cocktail server) gave to us. She was very informative about their signature drinks, HH, and knowledgeable about the spirit selection that they have behind the bar. She was legitimately concern about my girlfriend enjoying her cocktail and made the bartender made it exactly how she wanted. Also she kept checking on us and she was there promptly to offer another cocktail when needed. Not that its important but they have great mix nuts that are served at the bar lounge. I would highly recommend this hotel not only for location, cleanliness and things that you would expect from a SPG property, but for the great hospitality that the staff provides. Thank you Michele!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple