“Enjoyed our stay. Prime location downtown san diego.”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #38 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Collinsville, Virginia
“Enjoyed our stay. Prime location downtown san diego.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very nice hotel. Staff was friendly and inviting. Rooms were nice but a little small. They could of layed out the room a little better. Great views of the area. One thing I didnt like about this place is how you didn't need a keycard to access the elevators that go up to the room floors. Other than that a nice property

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose this hotel because my Mom and I were traveling with our two dogs. The Westin provides dog beds, food and water bowls. They also a doggie welcome bag which contains biscuits, waste bags and a map of dog friendly places.

The relief area is nearby the hotel.

The Westin is right next to the mall, post office, CVS, Panera, Starbucks and close to Hard Rock. We were able to walk to many restaurants and gift shops.

The food and service was great at Pinzimini. Reuben was our waiter and was friendly and efficient.

Paul helped us when we arrived and when we left. He was friendly, informative and great with our two dogs. He helped make our stay at the Westin enjoyable.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. We chose a room with a water view and were on the 12th floor.

The Westin also has a jacuzzi and rooftop pool.

We would definitely stay there again.

I wrote more on San Diego trip at http://scriptwhispererjw.wordpress.com.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear romeoandjuliet146,

Wonderful to know you, your mom and your furry family members enjoyed the experience! And thank you for specifically mentioning the terrific service you received from Reuben and Paul. They are just two of our superstar staff members and I will certainly share your comments with them.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here on our holiday and had a great time.The staff was really attentive and went out of their way to make us comfortable.
The location is ideal and has a lot of eating joints nearby and shopping is literally a short walk away.

I did find the room decor a little dated and found that the Valet parking fee of 40$ per day a little steep.Typically one expects to pay in the range of 15$ to 25$ at the most.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear VikramRanade,

We certainly do have an “excellent location” and I’m glad to know that you had a great time. And of course I was very pleased to read how the staff helped to make your holiday a memorable one.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again the next time you are in the US.

Be well,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is a great location in the northern end of the gas lamp. Those looking for something "in the gas lamp" should look a little farther south.

The location is great for me, I like to walk off the calories from the fantastic IPA and awesome dinner that I consumed, but thats just me. Its about a 5 min walk to the true heart of Gas Lamp. Also very easy to hop on the transit and head to other places in the city

Comfy beds, great shower (rain shower type), not much more to ask for.

Green Features: no place to hang your body towel after a shower. There was a towel rack above the toilet, but that was it. I found myself just throwing the towel on the ground since there wasn't anywhere else to really put it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear artvandalay1,

I’ll have to agree... We certainly have the perfect location within an awesome city! With the Gaslamp District just steps from the hotel, there’s always something new to see and experience.

I also saw that you mentioned our Westin Heavenly Shower and wanted to let you know that you can purchase the same system for your home so you can experience a heavenly shower every day! You can find all the same Heavenly items that you enjoyed in your guest room by logging on to westinstore.com.

Be well,

Southwest Connecticut
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel for a business meeting. I absolutely loved the location. It is smack right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, where there are many restaurants and clubs for eating and entertainment.

It is also within walking distance of the San Diego waterfront and boardwalk. There certainly is a lot to see there.

As another reviewer noted, the rooms are OK. They're not bad, but they are what you would expect from a decent hotel. And actually, a little below expectations for a Westin.

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the taxi service getting back to the airport. I had an early morning flight and when I checked in, I was asked what time I would be leaving, so they could have a taxi ready. When I got downstairs at about 6 AM, there were three people ahead of me waiting for a taxi, and there were none to be had. The bellman was standing on the street, looking for available taxis and hailing them. Two people ahead of me were each going tot he airport by themselves. I finally asked the next person if she would mind sharing a cab with me if she were going to the airport and luckily, she agreed. I don't understand why the bellman didn't ask people if they would be willing to share a taxi to the airport. It would have made the wait a lot shorter. Overall, the process was poorly organized and didn't need to take as long as it did.

However, despite the transportation issue, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

The staff as friendly enough and I was here for a meeting also. Everything we needed at our meeting was instantly brought to us and always with a smile.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for a trade meeting being held at the SD Convention Center. The Westin was within 10 minutes walking distance to the CC which was extremely convenient. The hotel was also conveniently located adjacent to the Horton Plaza (Macy's, other stores, shops including Jimbo's which is essentially a Whole Foods clone) and offered easy access to the fantastic restaurants and bars in the Gaslamp district. I was on the top floor (SPG) which offered beautiful views of the bay. The room was recently renovated and decorated in what many will know is the typical Westin modern style complete with the Heavenly Bed. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bcatgal,

Thank you for the great review! Someday if you get the opportunity we’d love to welcome you back when you’re planning a leisure trip. There are so many great adventures and things to do in San Diego and – as you mentioned – so much of it is nearby!

Until next time, be well,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of Gaslamp Quarter which was my main reason for staying here. The rooms are a little banged up and our tub leaked which made it a pain to shower. However, the staff was extremely friendly and we were greeted by Maria (I think) who was extremely friendly. I have stayed at many Starwood hotels that were a nicer, but the friendly greeting I received and constant helpfulness/smiles from the staff was something I appreciated especially as a young traveler who is not a Platinum or Gold member.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends