“Best spot in Gaslamp”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport beach
“Best spot in Gaslamp”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Out of all the hotels in Gaslamp I chose Westin for the 4th because I have heard so many good things about this hotel and the location can't be beat. First of all, I was greeted within 15 seconds when I walked into the lobby. Neil at the front desk was very engaging and did his best to ensure that I was going to have a pleasant stay.Second, the pool was very inviting,clean, and had a great atmosphere for both couples and families. Third, My dining experience gets an A plus Even though the restaurant was slammed, my server was very accommodating and made sure my needs were met and my dish was served in a timely manner. I ordered the Margherita pizza and Caesar salad, both were excellent, and the prices are very reasonable. I will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Driggio1987,

I’d have to agree… we do have the best spot in the Gaslamp! I love reading about our guest’s experiences - especially when specific staff members are mentioned! I assure you that I’ll share your feedback with Neil. I was also happy to know you enjoyed dining in Pinzimini. It’s a favorite with both our guests and the locals.

We look forward to your return!

Best,

Keri Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Page, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here for many reasons. As a SPG member our check in was seamless and was nice to be recognized as such. The room was awesome and we were pleased to accept the 'green' guest option offered to forego daily room cleaning to cut down on waste associated with cleaning and laundry. We were able to replenish towels as needed so that wad nice. Normal daily cleaning is available.
The site is closr to all downtown amenities as wr walked to the Midway (15 min), the Gaslamp District (-5 min), Petco Park (15 min) and the Horton outdoor shopping mall adjacent to the property. Horton has brand name shops and eateries as well as a Cinema showing current movies in theaters now. They have an agreement with local tacis gor a $13 ride to and from the airport.
The few things that disappointed me and kept me from rating it a five were the dreadfully slow elevators, the coffee/gift shop closing way too early (not much selection here either) and the lavk of a personable sit sown conceirge (sp) area to help plan activities. The little map provided wad okay but local knowledge would have been much better.
Overall a fantastic Westin snd would stay again and positively recommend for anyone coming to San Diego.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am staying here for the 4th of July weekend and wow, I must say, every part of my stay so far has been excellent. Everything from the restaurant to the rooms to the pool has been great. I tried the octopus at Pinzimini last night and it was absolutely divine. Our server was very on top of it, made sure we had everything we needed and always had a warm smile on her face. The pool is very relaxing and clean and the BBQ that they offer at the pool is very cool, my family loved it. Overall, I would highly recommend staying here. It is great for families, couples, and friends to get away for the weekend.

• Stayed July 2014
Collinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very nice hotel. Staff was friendly and inviting. Rooms were nice but a little small. They could of layed out the room a little better. Great views of the area. One thing I didnt like about this place is how you didn't need a keycard to access the elevators that go up to the room floors. Other than that a nice property

• Stayed June 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose this hotel because my Mom and I were traveling with our two dogs. The Westin provides dog beds, food and water bowls. They also a doggie welcome bag which contains biscuits, waste bags and a map of dog friendly places.

The relief area is nearby the hotel.

The Westin is right next to the mall, post office, CVS, Panera, Starbucks and close to Hard Rock. We were able to walk to many restaurants and gift shops.

The food and service was great at Pinzimini. Reuben was our waiter and was friendly and efficient.

Paul helped us when we arrived and when we left. He was friendly, informative and great with our two dogs. He helped make our stay at the Westin enjoyable.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. We chose a room with a water view and were on the 12th floor.

The Westin also has a jacuzzi and rooftop pool.

We would definitely stay there again.

I wrote more on San Diego trip at http://scriptwhispererjw.wordpress.com.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear romeoandjuliet146,

Wonderful to know you, your mom and your furry family members enjoyed the experience! And thank you for specifically mentioning the terrific service you received from Reuben and Paul. They are just two of our superstar staff members and I will certainly share your comments with them.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here on our holiday and had a great time.The staff was really attentive and went out of their way to make us comfortable.
The location is ideal and has a lot of eating joints nearby and shopping is literally a short walk away.

I did find the room decor a little dated and found that the Valet parking fee of 40$ per day a little steep.Typically one expects to pay in the range of 15$ to 25$ at the most.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear VikramRanade,

We certainly do have an “excellent location” and I’m glad to know that you had a great time. And of course I was very pleased to read how the staff helped to make your holiday a memorable one.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again the next time you are in the US.

Be well,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is a great location in the northern end of the gas lamp. Those looking for something "in the gas lamp" should look a little farther south.

The location is great for me, I like to walk off the calories from the fantastic IPA and awesome dinner that I consumed, but thats just me. Its about a 5 min walk to the true heart of Gas Lamp. Also very easy to hop on the transit and head to other places in the city

Comfy beds, great shower (rain shower type), not much more to ask for.

Green Features: no place to hang your body towel after a shower. There was a towel rack above the toilet, but that was it. I found myself just throwing the towel on the ground since there wasn't anywhere else to really put it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear artvandalay1,

I’ll have to agree... We certainly have the perfect location within an awesome city! With the Gaslamp District just steps from the hotel, there’s always something new to see and experience.

I also saw that you mentioned our Westin Heavenly Shower and wanted to let you know that you can purchase the same system for your home so you can experience a heavenly shower every day! You can find all the same Heavenly items that you enjoyed in your guest room by logging on to westinstore.com.

Be well,