“Great place but Parking charge outrageous”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #38 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great place but Parking charge outrageous”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Loved the room and location.We are Gold Members so enjoyed the late check out option. The bed were comfortable and bathroom was more than adequate. But $40 a night just to park our car????? Really??? We are already paying a pretty good amount to stay at the hotel and to pile on additional charges because you drove a car is ridiculous. That is the only reason I will not be back and the only reason for the poor rating.

Room Tip: Any rooms are nice. Be sure to call about 5 minutes before leaving room so valet can retrieve your c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear David M,

First I'd like to thank you for being a loyal customer and member of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. As a Gold member, I am glad you have taken advantage of the late checkout benefit so that you can enjoy your room and the local attractions a little longer. We are so conveniently located and within walking distance to most attractions that parking is at a premium in downtown San Diego. However, I hope that because of our location, you were able to avoid taxi cab fares or having to pay for parking at additional lots while out and about.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here on a business trip for two nights. The hotel was very well-maintained and the room was spacious and well appointed, with a very comfortable bed. The hotel's location is excellent, adjacent to Horton Plaza and within a block of the Gaslamp Quarter with a myriad of restaurants and clubs. The only negatives were the lack of free internet and the lack of dedicated elevators to the lower and upper floors.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at the Western Gaslamp for 3 nights on the 14th floor.
The hotel itself in clean, modern and stylish. I found the room spacious and very comfortable.
The hotel staff are very helpful and polite. The gym and pool area was great with a hut tub to enjoy.
Free wifi in the lobby. You need to pay in the room.

Short walk to shops, cafes and restaurants. 15 min walk to Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum. Balboa park and San Diego Zoo are not walkable from the hotel. We took a cab to the zoo which cost around $13 each way. If taking the kids to LEGOLAND there is no shuttle transfers from San Diego. We caught the Coaster train from Santa Fe depot, short walk from hotel. Catch the Coaster train to Calsbad poinetta then a $14 cab ride to LEGOLAND itself.

Overall a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Chris C,

It sure sounds like you had a wonderful time and really took advantage of all we have to offer - both in the hotel and throughout our wonderful city! With our prime location and year-round perfect temperatures, you can pretty much plan a return trip anytime and be ensured of a great experience.

Hope to see you again soon!

Keri Robinson
New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at the Westin Gaslamp for a family vacation for 7 nights with my SPG points in July 2014. I can't say enough about the incredible level of service within all aspects of the hotel. From all the valets (Tyler was great and so funny), to Catherine and Julianna, the concierges (they knew me by name and did so much to make our vacation perfect), to the housekeeping staff. I'm so glad I picked this Starwood resort for my vacation. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to come back soon.

Dear Rene D,

And we're so glad you chose this hotel for your family vacation! I never get tired of reading about our guest's experiences and particularly when some of our staff are mentioned by name. I assure you I will let Tyler, Catherine and Julianne know how much you appreciated their efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Until then, be well...

Keri Robinson
East Hampton, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at the Westin Gaslamp for 6 nights in July 2014. The room was spotless and believe me I am a nut about cleanliness. Whenever someone was not at their station - whether it was the concierge on the phone or a bellman moving luggage - another staff member always jumped in so guests never had to wait. Had a faulty frig in my room and they had it fixed within 10 minutes.
This Westin is now the only hotel I plan to stay at while in San Diego.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I am very picky when it comes to hotels, but the Westin Gaslamp was very attentive to my needs and exceeded my expectations. Of note, during my 7 day stay, I ordered room service for breakfast each day, which was on time and hot each day. Housekeeping paid attention to the smallest details in their daily cleaning process. I did have a maintenance issue that I informed the front desk of, and within 5 minutes, the maintenance man was there correcting the issue. The hotel is situated within walking distance of all of the Gaslamp area restaurants and activities. If I come back to San Diego, this hotel will be at the top of my list.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our 5 day stay was one of the best. Hotel was well appointed with friendly staff and services. Consierge, Caroline? was so helpful and we consulted with her daily. Organized a trip for us to Hollywood via Santa Monica and returning along the beautiful coast highway 1 where we had dinner in amazing Laguna beach. As we were six in the family group she suggested we hire a van with GPS from a local company ($90 for the day with GPS) which was the cost of one person on the train. She set it all up for us and off we went. The drive was great and so nice to be able to take our time driving back. The coast highway on the way back to San Diego (SD) was, for me, the highlight.
This stay at the Westin showed us that we did not have to just stay in SD, even though there is more to see than you can imagine, but with more time we could have used it as a staging point to drive out into the beautiful landscape and cities to the North and east of the city. Next time we will come for 2 weeks!!