“Nice hotel AWESOME STAFF”

Courtyard San Diego Rancho Bernardo
Ranked #147 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

It's a clean Courtyard.

Kind of like one would expect. These aren't Four Seasons but they are not Holiday Inn Expresses either.

Nice bed, clean room, sorta-cool lobby and bathrooms that don't frighten.

BUT. the staff here is fun and fast. We had four occasions to interact with different shifts/personnel and every time the response was sharp; positive, problem solving (I.e maps, forgotten items, community info, room.

IMO I suspect this one is a standout in the see of mid upscale chain hotels.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Carl A, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very proud of our newly renovated property and I'm very glad to see that our staff is showing that pride. We hope to see you again the next time you come to sunny San Diego!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Like all Courtyards, this one caters to the business traveller. But unlike most business hotels, this one abuts a city green space with a large pond with a walking path, benches, turtles and ducks. Rooms on the south side of the hotel overlook the green space. There is a very nice airy common area on the first floor with a minimal cafe. The pool and hot tub are generous and underutilized. Front desk staff are exceptionally nice and helpful. A shopping mall is a block away with restaurants, Starbucks, and a grocery store. Very easy freeway access. For the price it was a steal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 11/9-11/11 for our two year wedding anniversary and we absolutely loved our stay! The staff was friendly and gave good suggestions on restaurants around the area. Our room was on the second floor and was the last room in the corner, which was perfect because it was so quiet! Our room had a king sized bed and a comfy couch and it was so clean which was really nice. It was about 30 minutes away from downtown Sandiego/sea world and only 12 minutes from the Sandiego safari park. Overall it was a wonderful stay and we will definitely be staying here again the next time we come back to SD!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Highly recommended for business hotel, long staying. Well maintained. Courteous staff. Very clean inside and out. Lovely garden with ducks in the pond. :) Restaurants around are good. Found Carver's steak quite good. Very good scenery. Location is so near the office.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Courtyard RB has undergone more recent upgrades, especially in the common areas with a very contemporary look and feel. The staff was very helpful, especially Rory at the front desk. We stayed there twice on either end of a business week and the service was consistently good. We were upgraded to a suite and this was greatly appreciated as we were entertaining elderly family members. The restaurant is a reduced scale affair, but we had both breakfast and dinner there and both were good. The flatbread in the evening was quite good, especially when you do not have the energy to find a restaurant after a day of travelling.

Room Tip: You most definitely want to request a room facing the park, pond and Veteran's Memorial. The oth...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jollymon22
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I checked into this hotel on September 17th for a 2 night stay. The front desk staff were very welcoming and professional. My room was on the 2nd floor at the end of the hall next to the stairwell. I had requested a room with low foot traffic. The room was absolutely filthy, stains on the throw pillows as well as under the pillow protection covers. The mold in the shower and the dust and dirt on the air vent in the bathroom was so thick it was clear to me it had been a really long time since it had been cleaned. After a terrible nights stay in a bed that should have been replaced years ago along with the dirty bedding I packed up prepared to leave. I took photos of the room and shared them with the front desk staff to show them why I was checking out unless I was moved to another room. They moved me to the 4th floor in a beautiful suite. Had I not been so tired from no sleep the previous night due to the horrible conditions of the room I would have really enjoyed this upgrade. The room was so nice it was difficult for me to believe that I was staying in the same hotel. This room was spotless! However, one suggestion. Check to be sure the body lotions have not been used and put back on the sink. I had to ask housekeeping for a new container, one that actually had some in it. Otherwise a beautiful room.

Room Tip: If you are on the 4th floor in a king suite you are all set for a nice stay!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank QueenbeaConcordCA
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel was really nice and the staff was very pleasant when I interacted with them. We loved the location - area is exceptionally beautiful and hotel is convenient to the interstate. There is a big BUT...I believe my debit card number was stolen at this property when I was checking in and the 'manager' I left a message with will not / has not called me back! The clerk working the desk at 1:00am when we arrived took my card, with another document into another room. This was the only time on the trip that my card left my sight, so TRAVELERS BEWARE!

Otherwise, it's a nice hotel. I doubt I would stay there again since there's a potential theif employed there, sadly enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 72,800,407
Carl A, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Rancho Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that your credit card may have been compromised during your stay. If you would contact me directly at the hotel, I am interested in hearing more about your experience and investigating any areas where secure guest information could be compromised. Marriott takes great pride in being compliant with all aspects of digital information security but we must continue to be vigilant.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!