“Food good, service poor” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Supannee House of Thai

Supannee House of Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Supannee House of Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #152 of 4,699 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fresh and authentic Thai cuisine in Point Loma, San Diego. 4.5 Star Review Average on Yelp! The restaurant features the same great cuisine that our friends have come to crave over the years. Familiar favorites such as our Pad Thai Noodles, exotic Curries and Chicken Satay are be paired with a wide variety of authentic Thai dishes, many of which are impossible to find in San Diego including a number of local seafood specialities.
 Supannee House of Thai offers great value for both lunch and dinner, with menu items priced for today’s economy. Our weekly set menu offers a complete meal take-out, which is perfect for families and entertaining. We even have a kid’s menu!
Waterford, Ireland
“Food good, service poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were sat down at 8.45pm on a Saturday night and ordered appetisers and entrees (not late by European standards). So far so good. The food was tasty, reasonably priced and plentiful. However, when the entrees were cleared we were not offered the desert menu or coffees. The bill was produced almost immediately, without asking for it. While I was checking it, a staff member was hovering waiting for the money to be counted. We felt extremely rushed and our night was more or less ruined. We left, by 9.40pm (we were not slow by any means) and saw the staff all having their own dinner in the restaurant. Seems like a poor way to treat customers.

Visited June 2014

“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

What a great place to dine. We stumbled upon this restaurant whilst out looking for a place to dine. It was just along from our hotel and perfect. We were seated promptly and the staff were very friendly and sincere. We ordered our food not really knowing what to expect and when we were served our food we were shocked (in a good way) about the size of the serving...Man v Food! My wife was served here food in a huge pineapple cut in half presentation wise it looked amazing and it tasted great too.mi would put a photo up but that would spoil the surprise of ordering it. Notably we weren't able to finish it but did make an attempt when we took it away. A great find and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in the Shelter Island area of San Diego. Thanks

Visited March 2014
Arizona
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hands down one of the very best restaurants of any kind I've ever had the pleasure to partake a meal in. So fresh, crisp and flavorful are all the ingredients, absolutely impeccable. I recommend everything. The sticky rice with mango is to die for. If you've never tried Thai food it won't matter, you'll like it, I promise.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AZTravaler
Glendale, AZ
“While Good, Other Thai Restaurants Much Better!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I agree with Senior Contributor Mools, for her recent review of Supannee House of Thai. There are so many Thai restaurants out there, people. For this one to be rated #1 in San Diego, does that mean the majority of those other Thai restaurants are awful? My husband and I LOVE Thai food. It's our favorite. That means that whenever travel, we check TripAdvisor or Yelp to see if there are any highly rated Thai restaurants around where we stay. Yes, we were certainly influenced by others who gave this place such a high rating. Besides, it was within walking distance from where we were staying. We wanted to see the sunset off the Point Loma area after we ate, so we took our vehicle. By the grace of God we found an available space in the strip center's tiny parking lot. Walking in, the place was a delight to the senses, with the smell of aromatic and exotic spices teasing our noses. We liked the clean, contemporary look of the restaurant. The hostess greeted us promptly, and we were seated right away. Note that it was prior to the dinner rush, and there were still some tables open. As we sat there, we did notice things really starting to get busy with patrons streaming in to either pick up their order or have dinner in. We were glad to have missed the crowds. Foodwise: we ordered the Golden Lady Fingers as an appetizer. While the presentation is clever, it really just tasted like a little shrimp inside a rolled up egg roll wrapper. Nothing special. In fact, hubby had a couple pieces, and said, Ok, I'm done with that. For dinner, we ordered Shrimp Pad Thai and Yellow Curry. The shrimp in the pad thai were very good, but the overall dish was so average tasting. The yellow curry had more flavor, albeit a somewhat floral flavor, and was very runny. We had told the server, who was also the hostess, that we were very familiar with Thai food, and liked our curry dishes at least medium heat. I described it as a heat felt in the throat, not on the lips. Those of you who have eaten your share of Thai food will understand what I meant. We said probably a good 4 to 5 out of 10 on the heat scale. There was absolutely no hint of spice in the curry whatsoever. I had to ask for a sambal to add to it. Also, the rice portion that came with it was about the size of a small ice cream scoop. We asked for more, which was provided, with an extra charge. After our food came out, our water glasses were filled, and we were asked once if our food was okay. Prices are also a good couple bucks higher on each dish than the average Thai food restaurant. Hubby and I both decided it was a "been there, done that, don't have to experience it again" kind of thing.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LuvScuba
london
“I don't think this merits number one status in san diego”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We found this restaurant on trip advisor and wanted to go because it was listed in first place for all restaurants. We made reservations using their website. When we arrived they had no record of our reservation, despite our seeing a confirmation screen at the time of booking. They had a table fortunately even though it was busy. The first 20 minutes of our experience was hampered by the never ending ring of their phone, we kept wondering why they didn't just take it off the hook, or hire someone to answer it. The menu is diverse and interesting. We tried some appetizers- the green papaya salad, chicken skewers and the wraps. None were amazing, they were alright but I wouldn't order them again. The peanut sauce for the skewers was very thick and salty and not as peanut favoured as I would have liked. The papaya salad was mediocre, and the wraps were out and out messy and lacking in sufficient filling for the amount of lettuce provided. I had the seafood coconut curry (served in a coconut). In hindsight I wish I had just ordered a plan curry, or better yet, the salmon on the next table looked good. My dish was rich, thick and while I initially wanted it just a bit hot (spicy), the waitress told me most start at a three as that is mild. I didn't find it so. I needed to eat more rice than I would have liked to manage the heat. Yes I only like a little bit of heat, I am not a hot foods lover. But I would have appreciated not being told three was mild. The other dishes at the table were alright, but the drunken noodles dish had too many noodles and not enough vegetables. I would say it was a good restaurant, I wouldn't say it was the number one restaurant in San Diego, and those at the table who live in this city would say it isn't even the number one Thai restaurant.