“What a Gem!”

Supannee House of Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Supannee House of Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 4,869 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh and authentic Thai cuisine in Point Loma, San Diego. 4.5 Star Review Average on Yelp! The restaurant features the same great cuisine that our friends have come to crave over the years. Familiar favorites such as our Pad Thai Noodles, exotic Curries and Chicken Satay are be paired with a wide variety of authentic Thai dishes, many of which are impossible to find in San Diego including a number of local seafood specialities.
 Supannee House of Thai offers great value for both lunch and dinner, with menu items priced for today’s economy. Our weekly set menu offers a complete meal take-out, which is perfect for families and entertaining. We even have a kid’s menu!
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We've driven past this little shopping center on Shelter Island Drive so many times and never noticed this restaurant. So glad we finally found it. Five of us went for dinner, and we all ordered something different. Each of us loved the food. I had the mango curry. It had just the right amount of heat and was delicious.
The inside is very clean and tastefully (minimally) decorated. The service was wonderful. We'll definitely be going back, and we have a menu to order take-out. Yum!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I are a big fan of Thai food, so we always like to try a new place when we travel and compare it to our favorites back home in Chicago. I have to say that Supannee definitely delivered! It was very fresh and flavorful and they didn't question us when we asked for "spicy" and make us feel like we didn't understand our own heat level awareness.

Before getting into the food, I'll start with service. We didn't make a reservation, and upon arriving we saw the line was out the door. This concerned us a bit as it was already 8pm and we were hungry after a long day of walking around at the San Diego Safari Park. Fortunately, we were seated within 15 mins of putting our name down and the hostess was very hospitable.

We were seated at an end table against the wall which we found perfectly romantic. They do get very busy, so if you're in a rush you're going to be a bit annoyed waiting for your server to come back and check in with you, but we didn't mind the lag as we wanted to take our time between courses and enjoy everything.

We started with the chicken satay, vegetarian egg roll, green papaya salad without shrimp, and the tom kah (coconut soup) with veggies and tofu. My husband loved the satay and said it was well seasoned and cooked to perfection. The veggie egg rolls were perfectly crispy and not greasy as egg rolls can be. The papaya salad was very light and refreshing and they got the spice level perfect. Lastly, the tom kah soup was probably one of the best I have ever had. It wasn't heavy or oily, and they had the perfect balance of tofu and veggies in there. This was a lot of food, so I was pretty full. I am not sure how my husband still had room to order an entree, but he got the panang curry with veggies. I found the spices to be a bit heavy handed, but he enjoyed it.

We were super full, so we got the mango and sticky rice to go. So glad we did as this made for the perfect late night snack!!! If you aren't able to take it to go, I say skip one of the appetizers and save room for this sublime dessert.

Tips:
They are very busy, especially on Friday nights so make a reservation.

The parking lot is small, and a lot of the spots say "30 minute parking only" so just be careful where you park

1  Thank Sonali K
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were sat down at 8.45pm on a Saturday night and ordered appetisers and entrees (not late by European standards). So far so good. The food was tasty, reasonably priced and plentiful. However, when the entrees were cleared we were not offered the desert menu or coffees. The bill was produced almost immediately, without asking for it. While I was checking it, a staff member was hovering waiting for the money to be counted. We felt extremely rushed and our night was more or less ruined. We left, by 9.40pm (we were not slow by any means) and saw the staff all having their own dinner in the restaurant. Seems like a poor way to treat customers.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a great place to dine. We stumbled upon this restaurant whilst out looking for a place to dine. It was just along from our hotel and perfect. We were seated promptly and the staff were very friendly and sincere. We ordered our food not really knowing what to expect and when we were served our food we were shocked (in a good way) about the size of the serving...Man v Food! My wife was served here food in a huge pineapple cut in half presentation wise it looked amazing and it tasted great too.mi would put a photo up but that would spoil the surprise of ordering it. Notably we weren't able to finish it but did make an attempt when we took it away. A great find and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in the Shelter Island area of San Diego. Thanks

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hands down one of the very best restaurants of any kind I've ever had the pleasure to partake a meal in. So fresh, crisp and flavorful are all the ingredients, absolutely impeccable. I recommend everything. The sticky rice with mango is to die for. If you've never tried Thai food it won't matter, you'll like it, I promise.

1  Thank AZTravaler