“WOW! The noise from the trains are distracting =/”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #71 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Southern California
“WOW! The noise from the trains are distracting =/”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Was here last week since they moved the Greyhound Station away from the Sofia Hotel I had to find another location for dropping off my boyfriend to the Volaris Shuttle. I got a great rate on Priceline and called a few days before to ask for a upgrade as I wanted to have a room with a balcony for us to hang out and look at the water since he is 'land-locked' in Oaxaca now.

Parking is $36.00 (in line with most cities) location is PERFECT for the Gaslamp Quarter across the street is the famous Nobu restaurant. Our room was trendy, spacious and had a nice corner balcony overlooking the Convention Center. YES the trains are LOUD AS FU**!!! you will definately need those earplugs. We had cocktails early in the lounge downstairs our server was friendly and attentive. Valet service was also very cool and nice. I had to walk across the street to the liqour store to purchase tylenol it is directly across the street and quite safe.

The next time he is in town I will try to stay here again but who knows it's the luck of the draw with Priceline "name your own price" but aside from the noise level the hotel is perfect.

Respectfully Reviewed

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor corner room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Psboston7
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We do feel that our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district is the best of any hotel in San Diego. In regards to the train noise the city of San Diego has approved a "quiet zone" act where safety precautions will be added to track crossings eliminating the need for the trains to sound their horns. Construction has begun and the project will be completed in the next couple of months. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and that the hotel was "Perfect". We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I'm sure most people who stay at this Gaslamp District hotel are conventioneers for an event across the street at the San Diego Covention Center. My wife and I came for a holiday break between Christmas and New Years. It wasn't crowded, but was pleasantly busy. Our room, 637, was recently remodeled and had a comfortable bed. My only complaint was the lack of wireless Internet in the room. Nearby railroad noise was not an issue for us, but if you are sensitive to noise, ask for a quiet room.

• Stayed December 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The location of this hotel is just perfect! You literally step outside the hotel and you are within a very short walking distance to hundreds of restaurants, bars and shopping. When checking in, we were given room on 12th floor overlooking the convention center and the little park out front. It was perfect and did not hear any noise at all from the train. It was Christmas eve so it was pretty quiet in the hotel. We even received a small bottle of wine as I am a Hilton Honors member. Nice touch.

The breakfast buffet was good also with fresh squeezed orange juice (yummy) and made to order omelette . All staff that we encountered were very friendly and polite.

We enjoyed watching people walk their dogs and bring them to the little park out in the front of the hotel. We took a taxi to/from the airport and found this to be perfect instead of renting a car and paying the parking fee.

The only small thing that I was disappointed in (VERY SMALL) is that there were no 'on demand' movies. When I stay at a hotel, I love sleeping in and catching up on movies that are sometimes even still in the theaters. There was Direct TV though with plenty of channels.

All in all, a very nice stay and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to avoid the train noise (we didn't hear the train at all).
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsay86
Orinda, California
Reviewed 23 December 2011

If you like a smaller more intimate hotel instead of a mega convention style hotel, this is a great option. Right there in the gas lamp district so walking to all the restaurants and shopping are at your doorstep. Convention center is right across the street And you. An hear the trolley drive by outside your window.

• Stayed November 2011
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 26 December 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We do feel that our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district is the best of any hotel in San Diego. We are only steps away from the convention center, Petco Park, as well as the many attractions of the Gaslamp. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you on your next visit.
Lancaster, California
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I absolutely loved staying at the Hilton Gaslamp. Being Hilton Honors Members We got a room that overlooked the little park in front of the hotel. Loved that we got to see the train go by and watching people strolling along.

We loved the valet here. The guys were extremely helping and sweet. The moment we pulled up they opened our doors for us,got our luggage out, took us in and escorted us to the checkin. The man who brought us to our room told us about room service and how great the chicken wings were. He even reccommended a couple a great nearby places to eat. I accidently left my phone and a few other things in the car the valet guys were nice enough to bring my fiance down to the car to get my things and bring him back up.

We loved the room service there and there breakfast. Our first day we had breakfast downstairs, my fiance absolutely loved their eggs benedict. Good breakfast buffet to. That night we had room service and I was surprised by how good all the food was.

The pool is small but still amazing you can hear the music from nearby bars and its really romantic out there!!IOther couples were out there too relaxing and drinking while watching the night sky! I even got engaged out there. Perfect setting for it if you time it correctly.

The next day the entire hotel seemed to know that we were engaged they gave us a really cute quiet spot in the breakfast area. All the staff were congradulating us and it truly felt like an amazing experience.

Couldn't have asked for a better weekend myself

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you sharing all of the great details about our staff and service that was provided. It’s very nice to hear the compliments about our friendly team members.Congratulations on your engagement and we feel honored to be the chosen place where such a treasured memory took place. We truly value Hilton Honors members and look forward to the next time you plan to visit from Lancaster, Ca.
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This hotel has a great location and the rooms are nice size. Otherwise, not much going for it and many problems that keep this hotel from meeting good Hilton standards.

I stayed here during convention, and location between the convention center and Gaslamp Quarter was excellent. However, there are several problems that potential clients should keep in mind:
- Internet access is free, but only wired, no wifi. The connection is fast. However, I could not connect to my email POP server and had to use an IMAP approach I don't like. I asked at the desk and they said this was a common problem at the hotel and no cure.

-There is no shop in the hotel to get bottled drinks or other items- nothing. There is a nice deli across the street that serves this purpose. However, I wanted to get some OJ to bring to the meeting, and the desk said I could get some at the bar and they would put in a to-go cup. Not the option I wanted. If you forget toiletries or want a small item, no options available.

- There is no mini-fridge in the room to keep drinks cold. In fact, you can see where this was removed. Why remove this, to make people get room service?

- I have Hilton Honors that is supposed to note my preference of rooms higher floor and away from elevator. Instead, I was put on low floor near the elevator. There is a the street car that runs near by and other reviews have probably noted this can be noisy. I was not bothered, but any hotel that needs to give earplugs for sleep is questionable, especially at these prices.

There are other issues not worth itemizing- the coffee maker in room is low quality, the free appetizers for Happy Hour were unlabeled and pretty inedible. Overall, seems best to try somewhere else. If you like Hiltons, the Bayside Hilton looked like a better option.

Room Tip: Get a room away from tracks.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan K
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as the convention center. I am happy to announce that we are in the process of adding upgraded wireless internet to all area's of the hotel in addition to our complimentary wired service. Many of our rooms do have refrigerators and we have additonal units available on request. The market/deli adjacent to the hotel does have a full range of snacks, drinks and sundry items. I apologize that we were not able to place you on a high floor as requested as we were completely sold out over your dates of stay.
We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Isn't California the meca of information technology ? So why only wifi in the lobby ? And the cable internet is not Vpn friendly. So I lost a day of work, but i was able to discover the gaslamp district. Well located for that purpose.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank CeeBee130
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services. I am happy to announce that we are in the process of adding upgraded wireless internet to all area's of the hotel and will soon be able to offer wireless as well as wired service.