“Housekeeping challenged”

Ranked #72 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Seattle
“Housekeeping challenged”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I had stayed in the loft area previously and had a good experience. I usually stay at the Marriott, but thought I would give this another try, as they don't charge to receive my convention pop-up.

The desk said that my room had been renovated, but there was no evidence of that. In fact it was looking pretty tired. I had several problems: my cell coverage was horrible; I had to stand at the window to get a signal; this is bad, as I use my phone as a hot spot. The lamp next to the bed did not work; the light in the closet stayed on constantly; the stopper in the sink was broken; shower handle was loose; the showerhead was old and all the settings on it were completely worn off; the tile on the shower wall had a horizontal crack about 3 feet long and the grout was stained; the next morning housekeeping did not replace the coffee, I called to get some sent up, but had to call again an hour later to remind them. The room had only a chair with a vinyl cover.

From the fire plan it looked like I got one of the smallest rooms, so I may have just been unlucky, but I wasn't happy with the maintenance of the room.

The location is good. The staff was very pleasant. However, they would not give me late checkout. I'm going back to the Marriott next year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you had some issues with your room as noted in the review. Our housekeeping staff normally receives high marks on our guest feedback channels and this is not typical of the high standards that we strive for. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our "very pleasant staff". We hope to have future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This is a great hotel. I stayed in the Loft section of the hotel and it honestly felt my own little townhouse. The staff was very nice and the location is obviously great - Gaslamp is where you want to be in SD and it is very easy to get on the freeways to hit the other spots (La Jolla, Del Mar). Highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Stay in Loft area.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel and high recommendation for the hotel. We do enjoy a great location and are very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as the convention center and local attractions. Our newly renovated loft rooms are very special accommodations and truly one of a kind in San Diego. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and look forward to your next visit.
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights due to a conference I attended at the convention center. This Hilton is literally 15 minutes from the airport, right next to the Amtrac and commuter train lines. It is also, as noted, within easy walking distance to Petco Park and in the heart of the Gaslamp distance. I timed it and it took me 5 minutes to walk to the convention center. I found the staff friendly and helpful, but I am a very friendly person myself. The rooms were typical Hilton, the beds were VERY comfy. I heard the trains only one time, one night during my stay, but I did take the advice of earlier reviews and requested a room away from the street, so that may have helped with the noise - of which I really had none. Really liked the outside lounge area off the restaurant with its comfy big chairs and sofas and firepits. Several of my colleagues who were not staying there asked to come back there with me for drinks and appetizers a couple of evenings. Yes, the front of the hotel is facing a dog park and there are quite a few homeless people sitting on the benches in the park daily. Perhaps, because I deal with the homeless every day as an ER nurse, they did not frighten me at all. I was disappointed to have to pay $12 a day for wifi, though.

Room Tip: I'd agree with the poster who recommended asking for a room facing the inner courtyard across fr...
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 20 September 2012

As many have commented, the location is absolutely perfect whether you're attending an event at the convention center, getting away for a weekend with your significant other or spending time with the family in SD. On top of that, their customer service is incredible and worked with me about a reschedule/cancellation even though I was within their cancellation period. That level of service blew me away as did the hotel and its staff once I was able to visit. Thank you to all the staff at the hotel and cannot wait to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your five star "Over the Top Customer Service" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

A lot of people complain about the train noise but I did not find it a problem, I could hear them but they did not keep me up at night , great location across from the convention center and just two blocks from Petco Park. Only things that did bother me was the AC wasn't blowing cold enough for me and the bathroom door is on this auto close arm . Being picky now but a clock-radio with an iPod connection would have been great

• Stayed September 2012
Barnstaple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stopped ere with my wife for 5 nights after staying in a Hilton in Pheonix AZ
Staff were not at all friendly . The room we had Watson the 9th floor with a fantastic view. Our problems started. When we discovered earplugs by the bed. The hotel is less than 50 ft from the main Amtrac railway line which runs 24 hours a day and 40 ft from th San Diego tram way ( trolley)
The noise during the night was unbearable with the sound of the trains horn and the bells from the crossing.
The room had no mini bar , bathroom was small and the air on was very loud . It was clean as you would expect but it lacked everything else
Breakfast was poor and the staff lacked the normal friendly attitude
This is not a bad hotel by any means but it's not for holiday makers. Probably ok for locality to the convention center but take you sleeping pils and large ear plugs

Room Tip: Get a room which is high on the side which faces onto 5th ave
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the noise issues that you experienced. Our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district along with several other hotels in the area are adjacent to local transportation hubs and I'm sorry the train noise kept you awake. The city of San Diego is working on a "quiet zone" act where safety precautions are being added to track crossings eliminating the need for the trains to sound their horns. Construction is nearing completion and should be in effect shortly. in the next couple of months. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to future opportunities to serve you.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The location was perfect! We were there for a family wedding & were able to get a great rate (though I had to check daily for a few weeks).
The employees at the front desk were friendly enough but not attentive at all. I stood there for more than 10 minutes while the guest in front of me was being assisted & during that time, no fewer than 3 other employees came through & told me they'd be with me shortly, but none of them ever did.
Housekeeping was very quick to respond to a request. The room was clean & comfortable

• Stayed August 2012
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel and giving us a five star rating. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our housekeeping staff. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.