“Brilliantly located but just a trifle jaded”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliantly located but just a trifle jaded”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This hotel was recommended to us based on location. Great recommendation. We loved the placement right at the entrance to the Gaslamp district and directly adjacent to the tram line and buses.
Rooms are as expected, we had no issues except for housekeeping missing us one day.
In general the place looks tired and almost ready for a refurb, but it was always clean and tidy.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights during a conference. If you stay here, make sure you know this is the Hilton across the train tracks from the convention center, NOT the one NEXT to the convention center which is the Bayfront. The Gaslamp Hilton isn't as nice as Bayfront, but is in a better location. You can walk just a couple of blocks to tons of restaurants and bars.

The Gaslamp rooms were just average to bordering on dingy. Not dirty, but "well-used." The housekeeping could have used some improvement as one day they didn't refill the tea I had drank the day before. Although there was a coffee maker in the room, the coffee was atrocious. There were only 3 small drawers to put our clothes in and a small closet, which wasn't enough room for a 6 night stay.

I don't know whether or not the rooms had good soundproofing or not. We had a corner room and only one neighbor which had a connecting door. Rooms with connecting doors always are terrible (I could hear the lady next to us coughing in the night), so I don't know if the regular rooms are quieter.

Instead of parking valet ($40/day), we parked in a building on K and 6th which was 2 blocks down. I don't remember exactly what the rates were, but were MUCH cheaper than parking directly at the Hilton. We ate one morning at the restaurant. I ordered French Toast with fresh berries. I got exactly 2 blackberries. I suppose the plural of "berries" was still accurate, but I still felt ripped off.

One thing to note if the Gaslamp reads this: I forgot to mention during check out, we were in an Accessible room. Everything was ok, except the iron needs to be moved lower. It was mounted on the wall of the closet WAY to high for someone sitting to reach it.

Overall, stay here if you want easy access to the convention center, ok rooms, and super easy access to restaurants and bars. (Acqua Al 2 was a favorite restaurant - I went there twice during my stay!)

Room Tip: Get a room away from the train tracks (so on K street, not facing the convention center). The train...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding your thoughts on our property. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you did not enjoy the in-room coffee as we supply the Hilton Brand Standard complimentary in our guest rooms. I have also let our chef know to ensure that the standard for blueberry French toast is followed in our restaurant.Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I normally stay at the Hilton Bayfront but decided to try this smaller Hilton. So glad I did. Very friendly staff, super clean rooms and perfect location. Located at the entrance to the Gaslamp District, it is a great location for eating and shopping. I will be back!

Stayed January 2013
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as the convention center. We also appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and super clean rooms. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We had a lovely stay here, the entrance is hard to find however the location is very central. I would recommend this location to anyone looking for a location for a nice night out in San Diego. They had quick service with bringing around the car and very polite staff.

Room Tip: I would request a room away from the train track, this is the only way to avoid this issue downtown.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

The staff was great, but my first room looked like it hosted a party the night before - stains on carpet, chair, decorative pillows and burn holes in drapes. The staff quickly switched me to another room, but it was hard to feel clean after that. The Hilton Bayfront was much nicer - I'd rather walk 10 min into the gaslamp next time.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff.
We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay in our area and we apologize for the problems you encountered. We have addressed the issue of ensuring that our rooms are inspected thoroughly prior to releasing for sale and apologize for our mistake. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.
Dallas, TX.
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this review by saying that I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and have been staying at Hilton properties for over ten years for both business and pleasure. My wife and I checked in on January 12th for two nights. We moved into our room and noticed it was very cold (60.5 degrees F) so we turned up the heat, or so we thought. 30 minutes later the thermostat hadn't moved so I called the front desk and was told they would send up an engineer. Not wanting to spend our evening in the room waiting, we proceeded to the front desk and I asked to speak to the manager. After a few minutes a man in a chef's smock walked up and asked how he could help, I asked where the "real" manger was and discovered that the chef was the best we would get. I explained the problem to him and asked to be moved to a room with heat if our room could not be fixed. Rhetorical Question: Given the coldest weather of the season, and a Diamond level guest checking in, why was the room not checked? Returning later that evening we were moved to another room. By the way, there was no follow-up by the Chef or the real manager, at any time during our stay, to ensure our satisfaction. At Breakfast the next morning we opted for the buffet with cook-to-order omlettes but there was no cook in sight and had to ask someone to find him. At the pastry table the plates were wet and water spotted and when I went to find a clean plate I found them spotted with food. The waitress, after asking us twice if everything was alright, was visibly irritated at our response about not being able to find a clean plate. Finally, while I understood the parking rate ($40/night) up front, it was interesting to see that the rate for anyone driving in off the street was $15, so the guests that are paying hundreds a night to stay here get to pay an additional $25. While this property is in a convenient location it has an obvious management problem. Hard Rock, Westin and Marriott also have hotels in this area, give one of these a try.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bulitlist
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. I apologize for the issues in your room in addition to the way your situation was handled. It is always our goal to assist guests with any needs in the kindest and most prompt manner possible and are very sorry you did not receive this service. Your comments regarding the pricing of parking will be taken into consideration as we are always looking for ways to stay competitive while offering guests the best amenities. If you return to our area, I hope you will consider staying with us again and receiving the stay you've come to expect from us.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We decided on this hotel when planning our trip to San Diego for its location and we were not disappointed. Great location at the entrance of the Gaslamp quarter, next to bars and restaurants and 20 mins walk to US Midway and the waterfront. The hotel itself is very lovely, with very functional rooms: great beds for a good night sleep, powerful shower (which is a plus) and very spacious. We were on the last floor and we had a very peaceful night.To top it up, the staff is professional and friendly. We really enjoyed our stay there.
The only negative feedback will be on the price of the valet parking (no self-parking) which is a bit steep $40 per night.

Room Tip: Top floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Corinne R
Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. I appreciate your kind comments on our professional and friendly staff members. Regarding the parking, our parking costs include the Valet service, as well as unlimited 'In and Out' meaning you can take your car whenever you want without additional fees. Your car will always remain secure and accessible in our covered parking. There are certainly are less expensive options in the area, but they won't necessarily come with the security and convenience with 24 hour access to your vehicle.
We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.