“Business stay”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #70 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Hotel is extremely convenient to the convention center ... Bar and restaurant are so so but the rooms are fine and the beds are super comfy. Lots of restaurants nearby. A little noisy because of its proximity to the Coaster and metro tracks but tolerable in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed 14 February 2013

This Hotel was not bad. Valet, Desk, etc were all very good. But it is dated with very small and old pool area. Unfortunately we ended up on the same floor as the party crowd. But the Hotel was quick to respond once we called the desk at 2:30 AM.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. I was hoping for one of our adjacent rooms to have two queens, but was told that the Hotel didnt offer that. Was not sure if that was true or not.

Restaurant had a decent breakfast buffet. Like everything else, not overwhelming but the service was good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments on our clean and comfortable rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

My husband and I had just gotten married and when we told Jordan at the front desk, he upgraded us to a suite!! He also gave us a AAA discout and was very nice and helpful. Then...when we arrived at our beautiful suite, with a jacuzzi tub, chocolate covered strawberries were delivered as well as a bottle of red wine with a sweet card for us from Jordan! So nice we were so stoked and amazed! We had such a great night and I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel for newlyweds or anyone. Quiet, clean, very nice room with great service! Thank you Jordan for making our night so special and we will be back! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Gold h honors so have stayed at a lot of properties. In no way up to par when compared to the hilton bay property around the corner. Breakfast was cold, service was extremely poor and being the only ones in the dining area expected much more. No upgrade of room was offered when property was not even close to full. No conceigre ever at desk, depended upon neighboring hotel staff for rec. and help with reservations. This experience did not make me proud to be a loyal hilton patron. Suggest trying hilton bayside before settling for this location, or for that matter the omni, marriott, etc.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Makingcheeseandmilk
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our team. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments. We truly value our Hilton Honors members and strive to meet the needs of each individual. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This hotel was recommended to us based on location. Great recommendation. We loved the placement right at the entrance to the Gaslamp district and directly adjacent to the tram line and buses.
Rooms are as expected, we had no issues except for housekeeping missing us one day.
In general the place looks tired and almost ready for a refurb, but it was always clean and tidy.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights during a conference. If you stay here, make sure you know this is the Hilton across the train tracks from the convention center, NOT the one NEXT to the convention center which is the Bayfront. The Gaslamp Hilton isn't as nice as Bayfront, but is in a better location. You can walk just a couple of blocks to tons of restaurants and bars.

The Gaslamp rooms were just average to bordering on dingy. Not dirty, but "well-used." The housekeeping could have used some improvement as one day they didn't refill the tea I had drank the day before. Although there was a coffee maker in the room, the coffee was atrocious. There were only 3 small drawers to put our clothes in and a small closet, which wasn't enough room for a 6 night stay.

I don't know whether or not the rooms had good soundproofing or not. We had a corner room and only one neighbor which had a connecting door. Rooms with connecting doors always are terrible (I could hear the lady next to us coughing in the night), so I don't know if the regular rooms are quieter.

Instead of parking valet ($40/day), we parked in a building on K and 6th which was 2 blocks down. I don't remember exactly what the rates were, but were MUCH cheaper than parking directly at the Hilton. We ate one morning at the restaurant. I ordered French Toast with fresh berries. I got exactly 2 blackberries. I suppose the plural of "berries" was still accurate, but I still felt ripped off.

One thing to note if the Gaslamp reads this: I forgot to mention during check out, we were in an Accessible room. Everything was ok, except the iron needs to be moved lower. It was mounted on the wall of the closet WAY to high for someone sitting to reach it.

Overall, stay here if you want easy access to the convention center, ok rooms, and super easy access to restaurants and bars. (Acqua Al 2 was a favorite restaurant - I went there twice during my stay!)

Room Tip: Get a room away from the train tracks (so on K street, not facing the convention center). The train...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding your thoughts on our property. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you did not enjoy the in-room coffee as we supply the Hilton Brand Standard complimentary in our guest rooms. I have also let our chef know to ensure that the standard for blueberry French toast is followed in our restaurant.Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I normally stay at the Hilton Bayfront but decided to try this smaller Hilton. So glad I did. Very friendly staff, super clean rooms and perfect location. Located at the entrance to the Gaslamp District, it is a great location for eating and shopping. I will be back!

Stayed: January 2013
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as the convention center. We also appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and super clean rooms. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.