I stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp while taking the bar exam in San Diego last week.
- Location, location, location. The Hilton is literally right across the street from the convention center, and just a few blocks in the other direction are plenty of dining & shopping options.
- My room was very nice - well decorated, comfortable bed, good size, and impeccably clean.
- For the price, you don't get a whole lot. The in-room coffee is cheap (and the creamer in my room was sour - apparently it hadn't been changed in a very long time) and the bathroom amenities are nothing special.
- This ties into location, but be careful where you book. The hotel is in the Gaslamp quarter, so there is a lot going on outside. I was on the second floor and could hear everything. Not good for a light sleeper.
- The air conditioning unit in my room was either broken or not set properly- I had to knock it down to 64 degrees to feel comfortable.
- The restaurant is awful. $15 for a personal pizza; $20 for salty eggs and soft fruit in the morning. Unfortunately I was tied in because I had to eat quick and then run to the exam in the morning, but if you have the option, get your food elsewhere.
- The fitness center was also pretty bad. They only have two treadmills and one elliptical, and the elliptical is desperately in need of servicing.
- Service was so-so. I requested a mini-fridge on my first day there (my plan was to pick up some breakfast food at the local supermarket) and was told they were out, but said one should open up in the next day or so (this was fine with me because I was there for 5 days). I never heard back from anyone on the situation. Similarly, I stopped by the front desk a couple of times to ask for directions or a specific restaurant, and the front desk staff did not seem particularly interested in helping out.
Bottom line - for the price you are paying, there are several comparable hotels nearby. The Hilton gave me the feeling that it could be a nice place, but that it just wasn't trying very hard. I would check out the Marriott or Hyatt before booking at the Hilton. (Also, there are several boutique hotels in the Gaslamp quarter not far from the convention center - they looked nice in passing and would be worth a look).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish 12-story Hotel situated in downtown's historic Gaslamp Quarter, adjacent to the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel San Diego
- Hilton Hotel San Diego