“Best location for convention center - some odd touches!”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I attended a convention across the street, and the location of this Hilton couldn't have been more convenient. Having been warned by other Trip Advisor reviews, I requested and got a room away from the railroad tracks and above the noise, and was not bothered at ALL by night sounds. Staff was very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast buffet was great (even had a free breakfast one morning because they were late getting started so they graciously refused to charge me!) The only thing I found a little odd about this hotel, (especially given the healthy price of the room) was the absence of certain amenities in the room - including a shower cap, a safe, drinking glasses in the bathroom, and a refrigerator. On the other hand the room was very spacious and clean, there were no toll charges for 800 numbers, and there was free wi-fi. So..I would say I had no real complaints and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

Thank you for your wonderful remarks , which I will share with the staff. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the spacious room and the overall cleanliness of the hotel.
Please know that we do have refrigerators upon request and drinking glasses are available in the bedroom by the coffee maker. Also, In-room safes are slated to be installed in 2011.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit!
Kind regards,
Marisa Serrano

Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed 5 August 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp while taking the bar exam in San Diego last week.

The good:
- Location, location, location. The Hilton is literally right across the street from the convention center, and just a few blocks in the other direction are plenty of dining & shopping options.
- My room was very nice - well decorated, comfortable bed, good size, and impeccably clean.

The bad:
- For the price, you don't get a whole lot. The in-room coffee is cheap (and the creamer in my room was sour - apparently it hadn't been changed in a very long time) and the bathroom amenities are nothing special.
- This ties into location, but be careful where you book. The hotel is in the Gaslamp quarter, so there is a lot going on outside. I was on the second floor and could hear everything. Not good for a light sleeper.
- The air conditioning unit in my room was either broken or not set properly- I had to knock it down to 64 degrees to feel comfortable.
- The restaurant is awful. $15 for a personal pizza; $20 for salty eggs and soft fruit in the morning. Unfortunately I was tied in because I had to eat quick and then run to the exam in the morning, but if you have the option, get your food elsewhere.
- The fitness center was also pretty bad. They only have two treadmills and one elliptical, and the elliptical is desperately in need of servicing.
- Service was so-so. I requested a mini-fridge on my first day there (my plan was to pick up some breakfast food at the local supermarket) and was told they were out, but said one should open up in the next day or so (this was fine with me because I was there for 5 days). I never heard back from anyone on the situation. Similarly, I stopped by the front desk a couple of times to ask for directions or a specific restaurant, and the front desk staff did not seem particularly interested in helping out.

Bottom line - for the price you are paying, there are several comparable hotels nearby. The Hilton gave me the feeling that it could be a nice place, but that it just wasn't trying very hard. I would check out the Marriott or Hyatt before booking at the Hilton. (Also, there are several boutique hotels in the Gaslamp quarter not far from the convention center - they looked nice in passing and would be worth a look).

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Absolutely FANTASTIC hotel in EVERY WAY!!!

Check In: We were greeted by a sweet girl (Kelly) who not only asked her manager (Spencer) if we could get upgraded (it was a slow Monday night) but also sent a complimentary dessert and hand written card to our room as we were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday.

Room: Our upgrade was to stay in the Lofts on 5th and the room was absolutely lovely! Very cool vibe on that side of the hotel, but the entire hotel from the lobby to the set up was very cool.

Location: For the price & accommodations you absolutely could not do better. Right on the end of the gaslamp quarter and accesible to EVERYTHING.

The only downside is the parking fee of $35 per night, but if you are staying downtown, it is expected that you will be paying that much.

We go down to San Diego monthly and this will probably end up being our new hotel in SD.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights during Comic-Con and had a great experience. The hotel is right across from the Convention Center, so when I found myself loaded down with SWAG from the convention floor, I could run back to the hotel and drop off my stuff .. even freshen up before heading back into the madness of SDCC2010. Even if you're not attending a convention, the location is pretty nice. Right at the entrance to the Gaslamp District, you are surrounded by fabulous restaurants, galleries, shopping, etc. There is no lack of things to do and places to see.

Parking at the hotel is absolutely expensive. $35.00/night, valet only. Your only other option is to self-park at a nearby garage for close to the same price with no in/out option. This is just the way it is in the Gaslamp District.

Internet access is free wifi in the lobby and free hi-speed (cabled) in the rooms. If there's one thing this hotel could do to make a marked improvement, it would be wifi in the rooms. The desk setup is not really that comfortable. I'm more of a 'prop myself up with pillows on the bed' type of surfer. There's even a really nice chair and ottoman in the room that I would have loved to have been able to get comfy in, but the cable isn't long enough.

My stay included free breakfast buffet. I only took advantage of this once, as I'm not big on most buffets. The food was okay. Not horrible, that's for sure. But I'm a slow mover in the AM, so I much prefer room service with a big pot of coffee so I can slowly wake up and get ready at the same time. Speaking of room service. OMG! The Gaslamp Benedict was AMAZING. Poached eggs on a thick sourdough (I think) bread with spinach, tomato and turkey and an avocado hollandaise sauce. So delicious.

About the train. Yes. If you are in a room that overlooks the tracks, you will hear the train whistle. The hotel provides ear plugs for those that are light sleepers. I must not be a light sleeper, because I heard the train before drifting off and again in the morning, but nothing during the night. I did, however, hear other guests wandering the halls. I think your level of disturbance will depend entirely on how rude the other guests are during your stay.

The room was clean and comfortable. A/C worked fine. Bathroom had a door closer on it, which I found to be kinda odd. The bathroom also has a motion detection light switch, so you have no choice but to turn overhead lights on. Didn't really love that. Water pressure was adequate, but would kind of fluctuate up and down. Even at the lowest point, it was still decent, so no real complaints.

Every single member of the staff was fantastic. Every one. I hope to return here next year for SDCC 2011.

Reviewed 23 July 2010

I've been to San Diego several times for conferences, and my wife has been able to accompany me each time. We've stayed at a different hotel each time, and this is the best combination of value, comfort and location that I've been able to land yet. We stayed 7 nights this year, and have nothing but praise for this hotel. Checkin was quick and courteous, all the staff was very pleasant and helpful, and the room was very comfortable. Our 3rd floor was right above the hotel entrance and the dog park, and it was generally very pleasant with the sliding door open unless someone was smking down below. The trolley and rairoad tracks are very close, but I didn't find the noise to be a problem at all, maybe because I've always liked trains, but also because the louder freight and Coaster trains are only a few times per day.

We used the fitness center and pool most evenings. The fitness center is OK for our needs, but doesn't have much in the way of weight training equipment. The pool and hot tub were comfortable and a great place to relax after a cardio workout.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant a few times. The buffet is fairly expensive, but I found the quesadilla to be big enough for two to share, and the low-carb omelet is also big enough to share. We didn't eat any other meals at the hotel because there are too many places nearby that we've never tried.

We will definitely be back here. In fact, it's already reserved for next year!

Reviewed 23 July 2010

This hotel was a bit of a disappointment to me. It is hugely overpriced and the rooms are very generic and dull. It is in a good location and it has some nice facilities like the pool and fitness centre. But I was staying here for a conference and, although the staff were impeccable, there were some things that I was not so happy with. The conference meal was not good and it was quite expensive! Also the wine served at the conference bar was $10 a glass, while at the normal Hilton bar it was just $6 or £7?! You had to pay to log on to use the interenet in their business centre and to print out documents. The rates for having clothes washed were ridiculous, and the rates for parking were expensive too! The rooms were also quite noisy with trains going past late at night. Overall, I felt that the hotel had some positive things about it, but it was rather disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I'm glad our staff was "impeccable".
Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given the central location. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I'm truly sorry.
For future please note that we offer complimentary high speed Internet in guest rooms and in our lobby.
Also, there is good news about our train noise as the city approved a "quiet zone" act where safety precautions will be added to crossings and avoid the trains to sound their horns.
Marisa Serrano

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Typically, my husband and I stay at the Westin Gaslamp when traveling to San Diego, but after finding a great rate online for the Hilton, we tried it for the first time. What a gem!! GREAT location, friendly staff, and a complimentary upgrade...it was a thoroughly enjoyable night! Traffic noise, referenced in some other reviews, was not an issue. Our room was away from the trolley, so maybe that made the difference. All in all, the staff was amazing, room was beautiful, and location perfect. We'll definitely be back to the Hilton Gaslamp!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple