“Not the worst but...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #217 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Highland, California
“Not the worst but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

First of all, the Staff was very friendly. But the room seemed run down and dirty. Smudge marks and dirt on the walls and cabinets, the bathroom fan was really loud with no way to turn it off when the light is on and the floors were absolutely filthy. The floors seemed ok, (no stains, etc) but then I took my shoes off and walked around the room in my white socks and the bottoms of my socks were black! I immediately started wondering what else I was using that was not so clean! Also, no maid service during the 3 night stay I was there. The room smelled weird too.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TamiD429

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The staff was friendly and helpful. That is the only good thing to report. They had a large screen TV in the room but no channel guide. The bathroom fan was very noisy. The bed was pretty good but the bathroom tub was hazardous to anyone's health. There were no handles or grips and you risked a fall any time you got in or out. And the room reeked of tobacco smoke. The guy at the front desk said they had no non smoking rooms available. Their "Grab and Go" breakfast amounted to bad coffee and calorie rich muffins. Do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: I don't think you can find a good room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan1938
Monterey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

The room was one of the cheaper ones available in the San Diego area. When we first arrived we noticed an odd smell in the room and I should have requested a different room right away, but I thought I could just air it out. It turns out that the odor just got worse. They have a kitchen in the room, and it appears that someone cooked curry which stunk up the room for our entire stay. A few other negatives include the lack of a blanket and pillows for the sofa bed and the lack of any toiletries other than a bar of soap. There was also a lot of pubic hair on the blanket. The "breakfast" included small, packaged muffins, granola bars, apples and coffee. On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and I did get a decent night's sleep. Howeve, I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lawrence S
Chino, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Well, it was not pleasant, the room stuck, not sure what it was but yuck! Food on the floor in the bathroom. The bed was broken on one corner. The fan never shuts off when the light is on in the bathroom - really annoying when I'm trying to listen to my morning news. Here is the kicker - I set my alarm and it is fifteen minutes late - I was almost late for my 6:30 am meeting - the girl upfront didn't even apologize just said, "we must need to check the time on the system". I'm not staying here again - there is plenty of options across the street. Only good thing, its in a nice location.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cyclingsanchez
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you experience did not live up to our standards, specifically, the issue with the bed and our associates not apologizing for the issue with the alarm. I am going to have our maintenance department check the boxsprings in all the rooms to to ensure that does not happen again in the future and we are going to retrain our guest service representatives on being more compassionate when problems arise. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me, Amon, directly, at amurti@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Hermosa Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

My company put me up in this hotel for the second time and it was as horrible as the first time. When I checked into the first room it smelled so horrible I asked to be moved to another room - smelled equally as horrible, not to mention the TV did not work and the bed was broken. When I went to sit down near where you lay your head top the bottom lifted in the air.
I asked to be moved again and the 3rd room was just as awful - so bad that the women left the deodorizing spray with me in the room. I didn’t asked to be moved again as to have the same thing happen for a 4th time.

I did not sleep at all a I felt dirty and very unclean – I will never stay here again – and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kar355
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize abou the aboundance of issues you ran into during your stay with housekeeping. I am going to make sure that our management team checks each for housekeeping and maintenance issues prior to guests arrival to ensure that the issues you encountered do not happen again in the future. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me, Amon, directly, at amurit@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

The stay was excellent. The service was also excellent. For sure I will come again! The breakfast was good. When I came in the bathroom, it was very clean. Parking lot clean.... I'm thinking to spend my next vacation there!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you again for your outstanding review of our property. It's great to hear that you will be spending your next vacation with us. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in San Diego!
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Yes! I am so glad that I decided to stay at the Extended Stay America Sorrento Mesa in San Diego.
From the second I arrived at the front dest, everything was handled promptly and the manager Mr.Thomas Giesel made me feel right at home with his friendly smile, and he was very intentive to my every request getting every detail making me feel like a valued important customer.
I was really impressed with the whole set up they have there as well, it feels like your walking into your very own furnished condo, the hotel is brand new so the rooms are clean bright and gets nice sun during the day making it very cheery as well as thick walls so there was absolutely no noise to be heard from outside or from any of the other guests, all the staff were very respectful and friendly, my room came with a kitchen fully set up with dishes, silverware,cookware, oven, microwave and refridgerator all brand new and clean.
I never had any problems with any of the appliances.
So if you appreciate staying in a new, clean place where you feel like your going home to your very own vacation condo, with the best quality service, then this is the place for you! see you soon Extended Stay America (Sorrento Mesa) San Diego, CA
And Thank you so much Mr. Thomas Giesel

Room Tip: I like the first floor since i had my luggage with me so i didnt have to carry it all up the staires...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We received a copy of your excellent review of your stay and the service provided by our manager, Thomas. It's great to hear that you felt like you were at home with us.We look forward to your next trip to San Diego!