“USA Hostels truly is one of the best hostel chains EVER”

USA Hostels San Diego
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I immediately decided to stay at this hostel as I have stayed in USA Hostel in Hollywood & San Francisco. You get more privacy in bed, personal light and charge stuff while in bed or in locker (just bring a big lock). This hostel had comfy beds and lots of activities going on and they never were canceled. You must do their Tijuana tour! So much fun and many others that happen, how you meet people who are also travelling solo! It's a smaller hostel than San Francisco and Hollywood but the staff are friendly and sociable. I had a lovely greeting as I checked in, spent my birthday at this hostel and it was the best decision I have ever made .I don't think I can keep saying enough how much of a great time I had at their hostel. I was travelling solo so everyone talked to each other in activities. I was sad to be checking out. If I was to say the downside of this place? There wasn't enough bathrooms. Only three showers and toilets per floor and you would easily have more than 30 people on each floor! At least 4 or 5 six share dorms and a few private rooms seen. So it was a battle for a morning shower, people took night ones to avoid waiting forever.
So people do stay at this hostel you will never be alone. It's in a perfect location (downtown- gaslamp quarter lots of bars), lots of activities to do, staff are all welcoming. Also all you can eat breakfast, so much fruit, all you can eat pancakes, Quaker oatmeal breakfast, tea, coffee and orange even toast. You know you can make sandwich from their bread for a midday snack and save lots of money. I have stayed in hostel where breakfast is terrible and your hungry before lunch has come. I miss this place.
Thank you USA Hostels for making San Diego a pleasant stay xx

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The sleeping facilities are fine, if the beds aren't too small for tall people. This is common in most hostels though.

The toilet facilities are poor - nowhere near enough, especially when at around 11am they close half of them.

The location is ideal to make the most of the nightlife of the Gas Lamp area - which is fantastic. However the amount of rules and regulations make this a place for the over 40s. We have actually played Rule Bingo with the various do's and donts lists around the hostel. The total is over 30 - we debate at 40. It does make the place very stifling.

Room Tip: Choose international hostel near little Italy
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

This was my first hostel experience and I actually enjoyed it.I was a little nervous but everything turned out perfectly.I participated in the group activities held nightly.The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful.The people (fellow travelers) were beyond wonderful.I made some pretty awesome friends from all over the world.The hostel is located in the Gaslamp quarter where everything happens.I would highly recommend this hostel to solo travelers,students,backpackers or someone just looking for a refreshing travel experience.If I ever go back to SD,I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

While this is conveniently located amongst the restaurants and bars of San Diego, it is poorly laid out, has too few bathrooms (and they are unisex). There is one bathroom on each of the two floors with three toilets and three showers. This is nowhere near enough for a full hostel.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and there were plenty of brochures etc around.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Punkysmum
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights in June 2013 and enjoyed every minute of my stay. It's a small friendly hostel, the location is perfect - central to the Gaslamp quarter and surrounded by nice restaurants!

So far as facilities I think this hostel is pretty average, but in terms of staff, organised activities and the other guests this hostel is great! :) It's a nice small hostel so it's easy to meet people. The Kitchen facilities (free pancake mix), bathroom facilities (I never had to wait), and common areas were all fine. Incidentally, San Diego as a whole felt very safe, and this hostel especially is in such a busy area that you couldn't not feel safe at night.

I'm a light sleeper and for my first night I was in a dorm on the reception level (first floor off ground level). There is a lot of noise from the street level -I would never have slept without earplugs. The following nights I moved to a four bed on the second floor and it was silent (albeit much smaller). If I stayed here again I'd preference staying on second floor for the sound (or there lack of) alone.

If you're travelling alone, you want a good time, to meet nice people, and be in the centre of the action then book this hostel :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor can be noisy. If I were to travel again I'd choose to be on the second...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was in San Diego for a 6 day conference. USA hostels is in a very good location and it is super clean & super quiet compared to the other hostel I stayed at -- Lucky D's. When they say quiet hours is at 11pm, they mean it. All music and lights are off and it's completely silent. Even though they're located beside a club/bar, I couldn't hear a peep. The room is nicely set up. There is a locker for each guest. The beds are set up so you have your own privacy, and you get your own lamp & outlet. I would definitely stay here again. If you're looking for a party scene, go to Lucky D's. If you're looking for a super clean & quiet place to stay, go to USA hostels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank herkabe
Reviewed 19 June 2013

awesome little hostel right in the heart of the Gas light district. heaps of cool bars and pubs all within 5 mins walk! hostel is cool free breakfast pancakes!!!!! good activities as well! even a cheeky trip to Tijuana!!!. good clean rooms, with power outlets in the lockers, good for charging laptops, cameras while you are getting boozy! cool staff as well!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo