“Fond memories!”

USA Hostels San Diego
Leuven, Belgium
“Fond memories!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I first stayed here last year, and decided to book another few nights this year. As soon as I walked in I remembered why... This place is so wonderful! Really pretty, very homely yet international. Good beds as well, and you have a lot of privacy thanks to the "wall" with a personal light. They provide free linen and towels if you need one.

The hostel's location was ideal, right in the heart of Gaslamp District and within walking distance from virtually everything. The staff was very helpful too in giving directions or personal recommendations for bars etc. The rooms were decently sized with big lockers and enough space for your bag or suitcase. The privacy pods are amazingly convenient. The free breakfast was great with several kinds of bread and oatmeal and fresh fruit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The USA Hostels chain is the hit ! I stayed here in June 2012 for 2 nights. I stayed in the usa hotels in Hollywood before, which I very much liked, so the decision where to stay was easy. When I arrived to check in, the staff asked me right away if I would come to Tijuana, Mexico with a bunch of people an hour after- I did and can only recommend it. One of the staff members was our tour guide for the mexican city, which is only about 20 minutes from the hostel. The hostel itself is located on an excellent spot in downtown san diego. You have acces to everything important within minutes of walking. Its very clean and theres a great atmosphere. I didnt like the staff too much tho, they were arrogant and more relaxed in terms of: I dont care about you or your problems. But anyhow, it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I immediately decided to stay at this hostel as I have stayed in USA Hostel in Hollywood & San Francisco. You get more privacy in bed, personal light and charge stuff while in bed or in locker (just bring a big lock). This hostel had comfy beds and lots of activities going on and they never were canceled. You must do their Tijuana tour! So much fun and many others that happen, how you meet people who are also travelling solo! It's a smaller hostel than San Francisco and Hollywood but the staff are friendly and sociable. I had a lovely greeting as I checked in, spent my birthday at this hostel and it was the best decision I have ever made .I don't think I can keep saying enough how much of a great time I had at their hostel. I was travelling solo so everyone talked to each other in activities. I was sad to be checking out. If I was to say the downside of this place? There wasn't enough bathrooms. Only three showers and toilets per floor and you would easily have more than 30 people on each floor! At least 4 or 5 six share dorms and a few private rooms seen. So it was a battle for a morning shower, people took night ones to avoid waiting forever.
So people do stay at this hostel you will never be alone. It's in a perfect location (downtown- gaslamp quarter lots of bars), lots of activities to do, staff are all welcoming. Also all you can eat breakfast, so much fruit, all you can eat pancakes, Quaker oatmeal breakfast, tea, coffee and orange even toast. You know you can make sandwich from their bread for a midday snack and save lots of money. I have stayed in hostel where breakfast is terrible and your hungry before lunch has come. I miss this place.
Thank you USA Hostels for making San Diego a pleasant stay xx

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
lancaster
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The sleeping facilities are fine, if the beds aren't too small for tall people. This is common in most hostels though.

The toilet facilities are poor - nowhere near enough, especially when at around 11am they close half of them.

The location is ideal to make the most of the nightlife of the Gas Lamp area - which is fantastic. However the amount of rules and regulations make this a place for the over 40s. We have actually played Rule Bingo with the various do's and donts lists around the hostel. The total is over 30 - we debate at 40. It does make the place very stifling.

Room Tip: Choose international hostel near little Italy
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

This was my first hostel experience and I actually enjoyed it.I was a little nervous but everything turned out perfectly.I participated in the group activities held nightly.The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful.The people (fellow travelers) were beyond wonderful.I made some pretty awesome friends from all over the world.The hostel is located in the Gaslamp quarter where everything happens.I would highly recommend this hostel to solo travelers,students,backpackers or someone just looking for a refreshing travel experience.If I ever go back to SD,I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2013

While this is conveniently located amongst the restaurants and bars of San Diego, it is poorly laid out, has too few bathrooms (and they are unisex). There is one bathroom on each of the two floors with three toilets and three showers. This is nowhere near enough for a full hostel.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and there were plenty of brochures etc around.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Punkysmum
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights in June 2013 and enjoyed every minute of my stay. It's a small friendly hostel, the location is perfect - central to the Gaslamp quarter and surrounded by nice restaurants!

So far as facilities I think this hostel is pretty average, but in terms of staff, organised activities and the other guests this hostel is great! :) It's a nice small hostel so it's easy to meet people. The Kitchen facilities (free pancake mix), bathroom facilities (I never had to wait), and common areas were all fine. Incidentally, San Diego as a whole felt very safe, and this hostel especially is in such a busy area that you couldn't not feel safe at night.

I'm a light sleeper and for my first night I was in a dorm on the reception level (first floor off ground level). There is a lot of noise from the street level -I would never have slept without earplugs. The following nights I moved to a four bed on the second floor and it was silent (albeit much smaller). If I stayed here again I'd preference staying on second floor for the sound (or there lack of) alone.

If you're travelling alone, you want a good time, to meet nice people, and be in the centre of the action then book this hostel :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor can be noisy. If I were to travel again I'd choose to be on the second...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo