“Best hotel in San Diego”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #105 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Having stayed at most San Diego hotels, the Marriott Del Mar has all other chain properties beat, including the hotels downtown. The rooms are spacious with plenty of room to work, there are plenty of plugs, an iPhone alarm clock next to the bed, the mattresses are supportive (they don't have that worn-in body rut that other hotels have), rooms are well-kept, bathrooms are consistently clean, there are both kinds of pillows on each bed, and the staff is extraordinarily thoughtful. I have been staying here every week for the past year and can't recommend it enough.

1  Thank CurtSJ
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Wow, “Best Hotel in San Diego”, what a compliment. Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. The staff and I take pride in our newly renovated guest rooms and I am truly glad you enjoyed our finished product. I am glad the staff has been recognized for their efforts in working towards delivering a consistently clean product and friendly service. We are happy to have you here at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar weekly and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

My organization held a networking mix-and-mingler at Arterra last evening. The event planner was so helpful and organized from the onset. The day of the event, the server and bartender were very attentive to our members and guests. It wasn't a 'big' event, but our needs were well-attended to and we were made to feel very special. I called about 6 other venues, seeking the flexibility I needed for our premier networking event, and I am so glad we selected Arterra. The atmosphere and food were perfect. We still had stragglers at the end of the event and they simply migrated over to the bar area. The central location helped us pull attendees from all over San Diego. NICE JOB.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I want to sincerely thank you for choosing Arterra to host your networking event. I truly feel that Arterra’s location and atmosphere creates a unique location in Del Mar for events and meetings. I am glad to hear that Jenessa, the event planner, and the Arterra staff were helpful and attentive to your needs. Our goal is to always deliver great customer service and flawless events. We will be happy to host another networking mixer for you in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We had a wonderful time tasting all the different dishes that Chef Jonathan created at a recent Chef's dinner that I was lucky to be part of. The service was great and Chase poured some very tasty wines. A Thank You to the Chef and his team.
The Arterra restaurant is also a great choice for private business dining.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed Chef Jonathan’s creative selection at the Chef’s tasting. It was our pleasure to host you in Arterra for this special dinner and we look forward to having you back at Arterra whether it is for pleasure or a business event.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I work at a Marriot so of course I understand the quality when it comes to amazing customer service, the thing that makes me curious is seeing the company in other locations, this passed with flying colors and I am very pleased and not at all suprised to see this.
Some employees to note:
Front desk associate Nicole, she is a sweetheart and very accomodating.
Concierge Sarah, she is a great host

All in a a beautiful place, and wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you, fellow Marriott associate, for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that our hotel passed your guest service test. Nicole and Sarah are most definitely assets to our hotel and we are lucky to have them here in Del Mar. We look forward to having you back at the San Diego Marriot Del Mar for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I went to Arterra with three friends for a 5-course Chef's tasting. It was absolutely wonderful! (And there were more than 5 courses!) Each item the terrific wait staff brought out was better than the previous one. We also tasted several really great wines. The presentation of the food items and how they were paired, were very creative and delicious. I can't wait to go back!
I have also been to the Marriott for an all-day company meeting. The meeting room was great and the outside patio/bar area was really nice and relaxing at the end of the day. I would highly recommend any type of company event at either the hotel or Arterra.

Room Tip: I didn't spend the night at the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Congratulations on winning the Chef’s tasting during the Arterra customer appreciation event. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and wine. Our Executive Chef, Jonathan Wills, has done an exceptional job bringing a new creativity and flavor to Arterra restaurant and lounge. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your company meeting with us in addition to the Chef tasting. The pool and patio areas really do make for a great place to relax; especially paired with the nice San Diego weather. We look forward to having to back for more delicious meals at Arterra.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

.......with a friendly wonderful staff
For almost 5 years now I have been staying at the Del Mar Marriott some times 4 to 6 times in one month.
From the moment I arrive to park my car I am greeted by a friendly face. My check is process with so many familiar faces - from Jerry who always goes above an beyond with the details of my reservation to Sisily who is always smiling.
I have my routine that I often follow. I ask if Stephanie is working in the lounge upstairs as she always is so wonderful. She is upbeat and always greets me with a compliment and smile.

Almost every time I am at the property I must have Sushi and catch up with Sushi Chef Andrew who makes me a role of chef's choice.

With the success of every property I look to the GM - in this case Michael is almost always seen greeting customers, talking with staff, at the Wednesday Manager's reception and making sure the guests and the staff are taken care of. A well run property, one that you want to return to often success starts with the top management and SPREADS.
This is a great property - I highly recommend it and look forward to arriving and connecting back with the staff.
Keep up the great work Del Mar Marriott Team - See ya soon - I will continue to tell everyone what a great run property the Del Mar Marriott is!

Melissa Prandi

Room Tip: This is not a large property so all rooms are great. I like the corner kings to the right of the el...
2  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I love going to this hotel. The staff at the front desk always make me feel welcome and the rooms are just what I expect from Marriott but it is the little things that make me feel like the staff is thinking of ME. A great example of this is the elevators. Every time I went to the elevator from the lobby, the elevator door was open waiting for me. This is not the biggest thing in the Universe however it shows that they are thinking about what my needs are and how thy can make my staff as stress free as possible. Great job!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank pickles44

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. The staff and I make it our priority to ensure that all the “little things” are taken care of for our guests. It is our goal to make your stay with us as enjoyable and stress free as possible. I am happy to hear that the staff made you feel most welcome upon your arrival. There will always be an elevator waiting for you at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#71 of 278 in San Diego
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!