“Engagement Dinner at Arterra”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #85 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Engagement Dinner at Arterra”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was looking for an intimate, elegant restaurant to have my engagement party with about 30 people. A friend of mine recommended this restaurant, and I immediately called to speak with the event coordinator Janessa! She reserved the Grand Dining Room, which was exactly where I imagined having my celebration. My experience from the minute I called her, until the day of my event was incredible. She was so kind, accommodating and professional. She constructed a menu based on my wants and needs, and any change I wanted to make, she would do it almost instantly.

The day of the event, I met with Nicole the restaurant supervisor, and she went through the room with me to make sure that I was happy with the set up. I dropped off desserts and she said they would plate them for us (I thought that was very nice). Our servers Ken and Cory where so on top of everything, and all of our guests complimented their service.

Now the food...

Every single thing on our menu was delicious! For apps: bacon wrapped dates, sushi and hummus w/ bread and veggies. The dates were so good! For dinner we ordered the pasta primavera, salmon, short ribs (my absolute favorite; it melts in your mouth and you don't even need a knife), and filet mignon.

Thank you everyone that helped make my engagement party everything that I wanted! It will be a night that I never forget!

Arterra in the Marriott Del Mar is must try restaurant!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Wow! Thank you so very much for the thoughtful and sincere review of your recent event you had at our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that every aspect of your engagement dinner was exactly as you had always wanted. We are certainly so lucky to have such and astounding event coordinator like Janessa, and I am happy to know that she provided you with such excellent service.
I appreciate your kind words about our lovely restaurant Arterra as well! Chef Jonathan Wills works very hard at his menu, and we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your event meals prepared by him and his team.
Thank you once again for your thoughtful review! I cannot wait to share it with the entire team here at the San Diego Del Mar Marriott.

Michael Wlodkowski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We came to Del Mar for the first time, last weekend, for a friend's wedding.

We always stay at Marriott hotels and this one was definitely a good choice! The hotel is upscale, great customer service at the front desk, rooms are comfortable and clean and the restaurant, Arterra, is A-MAZING!

We went down to Arterra the first night for dinner. Corey was our server and he was fantastic! He was knowledgeable about the menu, helped us with our choices and when we told him we'd never been to the area before, he was super helpful about fun things to do. We also were served an Ahi Tar Tar, on the house, as well as mini PB&J creme brulee shooters at the end of our meal. We couldn't decide on desert and Corey took matters into his own hands :).

The entire experience was amazing. But my husband and I agreed, our dinner at Arterra was probably the most sophisticated meal, full of flavor, that either of us has ever had.

The only suggestions I have for the hotel are 1) offer free parking to your Elite rewards members and 2) put more than two towels in the rooms :).

Cheers!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hello Carrie95128!
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing such a wonderful review of our hotel and restaurant! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience at our beautiful restaurant Arterra. I too absolutely love the Ahi Tar Tar! Next time you are here for a visit I highly recommend our sushi bar as well, it is just fantastic. I have already shared your great review with our Chef and restaurant manager and they will be sharing your kind words with their teams (including Corey).

I am thrilled that you enjoyed so much of your stay. We certainly appreciate all of the feedback, and will consider your suggestions and see how we can incorporate that into the hotel to better enhance all of our guest's experience.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us at the San Diego Del Mar Marriott! If I can ever be of assistance to you please do not hesitate to reach out.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

My stay was spectacular. The staff was so hospitable. My family and I will definitely return for another stay. I spoke with staff members of housekeeping, guest services, and valet. Each person was willing to provide assistance with a pleasant disposition. I am very pleased.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank LooktoGod
Hello!
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate your feedback on our hotel and staff service. Our team here strives to provide consistent and excellent service to our valued guests, and I am happy to hear that is exactly what you experienced! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell everyone about your wonderful experience at the San Diego Del Mar Marriott! We look forward to your return!

Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 12 November 2013

From beginning to end, this hotel was top quality in customer service, rooms, cleanliness, decor and just a great value. We stayed here for a soccer tournament, which I pitty the hotel that has soccer families in one place. Not that were are an awful group, its just that we are a "GROUP" and could impede on their regular business related clientele. Without a doubt, if we travel down to San Diego, this will be the place we stay. Thank you Marriott Del Mar!

Room Tip: All the rooms are well appointed. The only concern would be were you want your view. There are some...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Hello!
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Your scores and comments are very important to the staff and myself here at the San Diego Del Mar Marriott to ensure that we are continuing to provide a wonderful experience for our guests. I am so happy to hear that you and the rest of your group enjoyed your stay with us. We absolutely enjoyed having your group here for the tournament and look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We held our elementary school fundraiser (130 attendees) at the hotel's restaurant, Arterra. We worked with Jenessa, the event planner, over several months to plan our fundraiser. She was incredibly responsive and flexible and helped us plan a fun, successful evening. Just as an example, when we decided at the last minute to add a "red carpet photo op" for our guests, she found us a rope and red carpet! The food was delicious, the indoor/outdoor space worked great, the speaker system worked really well both for our auctioneer and later for dancing. We raised more than we expected for our school and everyone had a lot of fun.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sonyab100
Hello!
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear that your fundraiser at Arterra was such a success! Janessa and her team are such an asset to our team here at the San Diego Del Mar Marriott, and I am so happy to hear that they were able to go above and beyond your expectations for your wonderful event. Thank you so much for choosing to have your fundraiser at our hotel, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!
Torrance, California
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Let me start this off with a confession: I don't much care for large hotel chains. I will admit that Marriott properties tend to be clean, well-maintained and comfortable, so I'll give them points in that department. On the other hand, there's a cookie cutter homogeneity to their properties which is a bit like ordering salsa without the chile. Marriott treads the safe path, which often translates into bland.

For folks needing convenient access to UCSD, Del Mar Racetrack, La Jolla and Torrey Pines, the location is dandy. San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is about a half hour to the north, whereas Sea World is about 20 minutes to the South. So, if you don't mind driving a bit and you want to stay out of San Diego proper, this location might be quite convenient for you.

The hotel is well-appointed and comfortable; personnel all extremely pleasant and welcoming. If I had any complaints at all, it would be that the climate system seems a bit wonky. The hallway to our room was so chilly, I half expected to pass a colony of penguins. Public rooms, on the other hand, were completely comfortable. Within our room, we had issues finding a comfortable temperature. Even after phoning the desk for assistance using the thermostat, we found ourselves alternately kicking off then replacing blankets throughout the night, throwing a monkey wrench into what might otherwise have been a very pleasant stay. Beds were cushy and welcoming, however, I really wish that Marriott would opt for king-sized pillows in lieu of the grouping of standard-sized pillows on a king-sized bed. Feeling a bit like Goldilocks, it seemed to me that one pillow was too hard, one too soft, and the other just right, leaving my husband to settle for one of the leftovers. (Nice of him to give me first choice!) Lighting was on the low side, rendering the room not particularly conducive to recreational reading during the evening. At least two of the table lamps contained convenient electrical plugs in their bases, perfect for recharging electronics.

While I'm not in a hurry to return to this Marriott, it's more a matter of personal style than anything else. Keep your eye out for special deals on this property and you may find yourself with four-star digs at a three-star price. And if you like your hot sauce on the mild side, the Marriott Del Mar may be just your thing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gail G
Hello!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We are always looking for feedback on what we are doing right, and what areas of opportunity might be. I am happy to hear that you found our property clean and comfortable. Since your review our engineering department has addressed the issue that you had in regards to the temperature control in the hallways as well as the rooms. Thank you once again for your review. We look forward to having you visit our hotel again soon!
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a wonderful hotel and close to the beach and great shopping. Rooms are clean and spacious, beds are comfortable and it was a good value. The restaurant also has great sushi. It's conveniently located near the freeway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team works very hard to ensure that every detail is perfect so our guests can enjoy every aspect of our hotel. I am so happy that you were also able to enjoy our delicious sushi at Arrterra restaurant, I also love the sushi that we offer. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your review and let others know about our wonderful hotel. We look forward to hosting you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#65 of 279 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!