“This hotel is a hidden gem!”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #95 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Nashville, Tennessee
“This hotel is a hidden gem!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel to stay at while visiting the San Diego area. It's just a short drive to the major attractions & theme parks. It's just across the highway from the Del Mar beach and Torrey Pines golf course. The restaurant is excellent. They have great drinks, a happy hour, and even a sushi chef. You can sit in an area outside near the pool at tables or on patio furniture. They have movies & s'mores by the pool on weekends for kids. It's a beautiful hotel & should never be overlooked when visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I spent 4 nights in this hotel and overall, it's a nice property that is well maintained. The center piece appears to be the pool area but unfortunately, I never had the time to enjoy it.

I had an issue with my air conditioning the first night which was promptly fixed by the maintenance team and they gave me a free movie for the inconvenience.

My only gripes with the hotel were an inattentive staff in the restaurant and charging me $20 per night to park my car. I expect to be charged for parking when I'm downtown, but not in the suburbs.

Given that most of my time at hotels is for sleeping, I'd probably choose a lower cost chain nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear T W,

Sorry you did not get a chance to enjoy the pool. Traveling can be very hectic and a dip in the pool can make the end of the day special. Sorry you ran out time!

When I travel, I expect great service in the restaurants. I too would be dissappointed if they were not attentitive. I will address it with our staff. Thanks for the Review, we appreaciate all the feedback we can get. I hope you stay with us on your next time through San Diego. Feel free to reach to me inadvance.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on MMF to save a little money during a very busy last-minute weekend trip to San Diego. The rooms and property itself are nice, but be warned, this is not in Del Mar proper and is not remotely close to anything without driving. Nice pool and decent food onsite. It's a 3.5 star and worth a discount price but don't pay a premium to stay east of the 5. Good service and free parking were perks.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for the compliments on our great service by our Associates, and the nice pool at the property. We always appreciate and take to heart the comments from our guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly prior to your next stay if we can be of service.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had two reservations, and after speaking with Marriott they agreed to link these for us. It was our anniversary so I asked for a little surprise upon arrival. When we checked in, they didn't have our reservation on the system, we weren't given any upgrades (despite being an elite member) or a slightly better room even. It was Valentine's day and they forgot about the gift n the room, what an embarrassment!! The room was quite small and wasn't very clean (found hairs inside the drawers and the bathtub). The wifi was VERY slow and unless you are elite they charge you over $10 per day, not worth it.
The breakfast was very simple, worse than the one offered at the nearby Residence Inn, and very expensive too. We were also given access to the lounge but what they offer there isn't food, is just edible products. To make things worse, we had problems with the parking, as our room key wouldn't swipe at the gate, therefore everyday getting in and out was a nightmare. I spoke to a staff member who apologised and offered to remove the parking charges, however they totally forgot about the gift i had planned for our anniversary as well as the fact it was valentine's day. What really irritated me and made me write this review is the fact that they overcharged me by $200!! i'm still waiting for a refund and it's been over a week since we checked out. Lastly, the gym was basic but OK, the pool was clean and the jacuzzi too but unfortunately it was always busy, way too busy for us to enjoy. I wouldn't recommend this Marriott Property. Worst stay ever!!

Room Tip: Stay at the nearby Residence inn (brand new hotel)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Platinum2000,

We take the comments and concerns of our guest very seriously and we like to respond directly. I highly encourage you to call me directly and allow me to aplogize in person. We can review the entire stay in detail. Please call me at your convienience.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed in this Marriott hotel recently when I was visiting San Diego for family trip.
It was about 20miles away from airport and downtown San diego.
This was category 6 hotel which means =pretty expensive.
So I used my points to stay there....

I guess hotel itself wasn't glitzy or anything but clean and courteous

Staff were very nice and helpful, especially one gentleman who helped us with the baggage...

Only negative thing was the parking which was $20 per night....I am used to free parking in other marriotts....I guess west coast big city hotels are expensive and is the norm here to pay for anything that other part of country is free....

Wifi was another $20 to use it..so I stuck to my data plan...

Granted I got free room using my points, I am not sure if I want to pay my way to this hotel,even if this is category 6 ....(I consider it category 5...I think being in San Diego economy, it is category 6)

Room was clean and beds were very comfy....although room was kinda small...

This hotel is near Legoland...about 20min

But you will wonder whether I should have stayed at Marriott Residence Inn right across the road
and paying cheaper rate and free wifi and free breakfast...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J Y
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Checked in and back out in one hour. Front desk staff less than warm or helpful. Rooms are small and showing age. For a few bucks more, found a nice room in the Residence Inn next door--and it included breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin K
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Kevin,

I apologize for the less than warm staff. I will address it with our team about how we make great impressions. I took the intitative to inspect the room you were assigned and am having a team address the quality of the room. Thanks for pointing this out to us. I hope you will consider us again in your travels to the San Diego Del Mar area.
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sean, Ben & Darko are the best bartenders in San Diego. They serve the most creative & robust drinks Andrew is an excellent sushi chief. The yellowtail was delicious & fresh. Tracey Berlfein the restaurant supervisor greeting us with a warn smile at Artera. She recommended the Reuben which was an excellent choice. It was my birthday and Chris Vanderwall surprised me with a red velvet cake. Everyone at the bar & restaurant take customer service to the highest level!

• Stayed February 2014
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#66 of 278 in San Diego
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!