“The best hotel to stay at in San Diego”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #85 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Fountain Valley, California
“The best hotel to stay at in San Diego”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been traveling to San Diego on a regular basis and the staff here is the best compared to any hotels that I have stayed at. Ricardo, one of the directors as well as Mike, the GM are super friendly & attentive. They always make sure that the guests' needs are fully met and tended to. The front desk staff, especially Sisily is extremely helpful. The staff and the supervisors at Aterra Restaurant and Bar provides services that are unsurpassed. Ben, Darko & Sean make the best drinks. Tracey Berlin & Chris Vanderwall, the restaurant supervisors are the best hosts you can find in any hotels. Andrew, my sushi chef is so skillful at what he does and provides me the best yellow tail sashimi. Blanche, Rose, Stephanie and Sarah in the Concierge Lounge are so amazing. They provide customer service that goes above and beyond . They are attentive to everyone's needs and preferences. All of the staff at this hotel makes me feel at home.

1 Thank julie dzung n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Tracey Berlin with "Arterra Restaurant" was fantastic and a gracious host. BEN & Darko..The bartenders were awesome. Their wine recommendations were right on. Chris Vander wall the Restaurant Supervisor was very attentive about our service. Andrew the "Sushi Chef" was soooo...fresh..just the best. Ricardo Garcia was very informative about the hotel and the area. He knows all about Pinot Nior... it's my 1st time here...will definitely be back...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet V
Southern California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I would first like to say that the staff here at the front desk is delightful, and very helpful, although a bit disorganized, I had to come back two times to get things corrected (the parking pass didn't work and I was not given my breakfast passes upon check-in) I found the hotel to be very nice but it is the attention to details that took away the experience of staying at a really nice hotel and what this place could be. Lets start with the lobby, and the front entrance, upon arrival it all looks very elegant and inviting but when you look a little further you see the flaws. The valet carts are all tarnished and looked worn out, not to mention that the valets themselves seemed to pick and choose who they give attention to and who they dont. The lobby is nice but once there is that flaw with the upkeep. In the restaurant the tables look like they have not been taken care of, the doors to the elevator are tarnished and in need of some TLC, I also found the security feature which would require you to use your keycard to access the floors was not always working. The room itself was nice and spacious although there again the flaws showed up, the wireless internet didn't work and I was forced to use the Residence Inns wireless from across the street (good way not to have to pay for Internet) I was able to use the wired internet that worked fine (charge of $12.95-Free for Gold/Platinum).
The night was uneventful and was very quite but I was on the 10th floor, and could see if the hotel got busy where that may not be the case (heard noises from time to time in other rooms and the hallway). The bed was comfortable and the amenities in the bathroom were nice, although they need to come up with a better system for the towels (make them more visible instead of under the sink) In the morning they offered a nice breakfast but once again that attention to detail; the food was cold and the service seemed hurried even though the restaurant was not busy at all. Then on the way out someone decided that it would be a good idea to pressure wash the front of the hotel at 7am on a Sunday (why not earlier in the morning) and even though the workers were nice it seemed like you were in a construction zone, not a very good last impression. I would be hesitant to stay here again unless I got a great rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and looking towards the back of the hotel otherwise you get a view of the bui...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
florida
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've spent about 20 nights here his year over about three different stays and is consistently great. Like all Marriott's the staff is incredibly friendly and willing to help you with anything. They have a fantastic restaurant which is one of the best in the area, beautiful pool area and a perfect location just off I5. If you're lucky enough to enjoy the concierge this is simply one of the best, fantastic service and food. A special thank you to Theresa who always goes the extra effort to make your stay comfortable, you can find her in the concierge in the evenings. Great choice in Marriotts!
Dave

1 Thank berkmda
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The company I work for has been holding events at Arterra for years and they never fail to impress us. They have an excellent, easy to work with team. Jenessa, the sales & event coordinator, is extremely responsive to any last minute requests that we have (which is often the case) and our fabulous friend Danielle is always there to take excellent care of us. She knows most of our team by name and our out of town employees always look for her when they are in town. Our last event was on April 8th in the Great Room. Danielle & Darko did an awesome job taking care of our high energy group and the food was great as always. Chef Andrew Ho gets a special nod this time for the 3 platters of delicious sushi he prepared for us. We have a lot of options in the area for the events that we do, but we always decide on Arterra for the reasons I mentioned above and so many more!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

First time staying at the Marriott Del Mar. Stayed for 3-nights with my family on vacation. Minutes from Del Mar Beach, 20-minutes from San Diego. Pretty centrally located to everything. Very nice pool, hot tub, and gym.
Room was nice, concierge lounge was nice as well. Had one night when something happened and we didn't have water but it was fixed by morning. Only thing I didn't love was the breakfast in the restaurant. I think hotels try to be too fancy. I don't need banana bread french toast. I just want good old fashioned stuff. Other than that it was a great stay.

Stayed April 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a great business hotel in Del Mar. I travel a lot for work and I keep coming back to this property (one of the best Marriott properties in SD). Swanky pool area, clean fitness center, nice onsite restaurant (with sushi!), and one of the best domestic concierge lounges Marriott has - platinum members will appreciate it.

I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better the views
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#67 of 279 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!