“Good sleeping hotel but rent a car if you want to leave the hotel property.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Diego Marriott Del Mar

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #84 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Toledo, Ohio
“Good sleeping hotel but rent a car if you want to leave the hotel property.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Let's get right to it. The room was quite comfortable. Outlets on the night stand for a cell phone charge within easy reach. Bed and pillows were extremely comfortable for a good, good sleep. Roomy bathroom with a unique feature: door opened out, not into the bathroom, like most hotels, where the door often can't clear towels on the floor when closing. Top quality shampoo, conditioner, liquid bath soap, bars of hand soap and even liquid hand soap! 3 Soft, full size bath towels, one hanging on a wall rack over the tub/shower within easy reach.

There's a coffee maker in the room, but with only ONE free coffee pod and NO bottled water. In a sundry's shop off the front desk, you can buy a starbuck's coffee from an automatic coffee maker for $2/cup and bottled water for a whopping $7.50/bottle!

No in-room safe. But laundry is done properly and returned timely.

There's no where to walk anywhere around the hotel. The ocean beach and Torrey Pines State Park is 2+ miles away, but, realistically, you need a car to get there. There's a parking garage adjacent to the hotel and the parking was free (but I was there under a special rate for week-long building code hearings).

There's a restaurant and bar in the hotel, but, candidly, it's hotel food - average at best and very expensive. There are lots of good restaurants nearby (with a car).

There's a small market about 1 mile away on the way to Torrey Pines beach where you can buy a gallon of bottled spring water for $2.

I'd stay there again. It's conveniently located, just off I5, about a 20-25 min drive from the airport depending on traffic - but, you'll need a car. Oh, by the way, did I mention that gasoline was $4.29/gallon??

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomz12345
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Thomz12345

Thank you for the review and the great description of our guest rooms. I can appreciate the interest in finding a good walking-running route by a hotel when you are staying there. I have the same pattern of walking each day and it is important for me to have an area to get out and stretch the legs. Recently we have added a complimentary shuttle service that will take you to any point within five miles of the hotel. On your next stay with us, Please let me know how the service of our shuttle matches up. We take all of our survey seriously and try to keep a balanced approach to each concern. We have heard from our guests that the large bottle of water is too large. We are looking to add a small bottle of water that is more reasonable. Again, thank you for the observations. We appreciate your choice in our hotel. We hope you will choose us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed at the Marriott Del Mar for a business and vacation combo. Of note was the over the top attitude and service from the Arterra staff. Tracey, the supervisor for the restaurant stopped by the table and checked that we were happy. She relayed that we had a waitress that night flying solo for the first time, but was confident she would take care of us well. Boy was she right. Olga was nothing short of super! She was very caring in addressing my wife's requirements for a gluten free meal (celiac disease) and was wonderfully attentive, despite the room being understaffed. We enjoyed the same stellar service tonight with close friends joining us for a terrific meal. Greeat food, great presentation, and if I have to have cardiac surgery, I want someone with as much care and attention as Olga! Great team Tracey.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Alan,

Thank you for the review and the recognition of Olga. We take great pride in recognizing our Associates for a great service experience. We don’t do surgery at the hotel, but your comparison of our great service made me laugh out loud. Thanks again for the review, and we hope to see you again soon.

New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Overall my husband and I had a very nice stay at the Marriott Del Mar. As we pulled up our first reaction was to think we were out of our league with all of the expensive vehicles parked out front. The hotel itself is very nice although there is a lot of noise between the room and the hallway. Unlike many Marriotts/Residence Inns, the Marriott Del Mar does not provide a free breakfast and the alternative restaurant is quite expensive. Additionally, hotel guests have to pay an additional fee to park in the hotel's parking garage. Personally, I think parking should be free. The only real issue I had was at checkout. I used the TV checkout, which said to leave my key cards in the room when I left. I did this without thinking it through and realized that I couldn't leave the parking garage without a key. Because I'd also left something in my hotel room, the front desk had to make me another key. It took two trips up to the 9th floor before the key worked. The new key card didn't work in the parking garage either so the front desk had to buzz me out. Despite all that, I'd stay there again. Next time I'll check out the pool!

Room Tip: Upper floors have a great view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane P
Dear Jane P,

Thank you for the review and your observations. We have been working with the parking company that runs the Garage next to the hotel about the key readers that open the gates. This has happened to me and it is an annoyance. Thanks for choosing our hotel. On your next stay with us, please contact us in advance for some great options to enhance your stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We were in town for a youth soccer tournament. Our team had such a great time in the pool on Sautrday evening. Our team has 11 players and most have 1 or 2 siblings. With 30 kids under the age of 12, we were probably a little noisy. But the hotel staff treated us so great. We had dinner by the pool and the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The poolside movie and s'mores were enjoyed by everyone. Easy check in and check out. The rooms are very nice. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I'm so glad your team had a great time. We know children can be noisy, but we also know taking care of the children makes a better experience for the traveling parents with the team. Thank you for the feedback and the survey. Thanks for choosing us for your travel plans.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Had an issue at breakfast but the staff competently rectified it.

They have great employees.

Be warned - on busy days, get out of the parking lot early or you'll be waiting for a long time as drivers struggle to operate the machine.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you Nick for the review; we appreciate the feedback and your patronage.
I agree; our associates are wonderful. Knowing them personally, they are very caring and genuine in their desire to give great service. We are working with the company that operates the garage on improving the parking gates. When a large group leaves the hotel from a meeting it can get back up from bad credit cards and user error. It's something we are working on.

Thanks again for the feedback.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I scheduled an end of the school year staff party at Arterra restaurant which is located in the Marriott Hotel in Carmel Valley. We had cocktails and appetizers in a poolside cabana. Although we had to play with the seating arrangement a bit, we made it work and had a wonderful time! Jenessa was the event coordinator and worked with me, giving me menu and drink suggestions that not only worked well with the amount of guests that attended but she also adhered to the budget I had to work with. Jenessa kept it well within that budget and we had plenty to munch on and drink during the duration of our party. Ben was our personal bartender and was very fun and likable; and, Amy was our server and served our appetizers as scheduled, and continued to offer her assistance as needed. Unfortunately, we found ourselves surrounded by a pool party for 6th grade students, which Amy and Ben kept apologizing for, stating that there are never this many kids at the pool, and they didn't know this was going to happen today. Regardless, the feedback from my guests was positive and I would definitely have a cocktail party at Arterra again. (4 rather than 5 only because of seating arrangement and unexpected pool party.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Jacqueline,

If anyone deserves a party and a big thank you,; it’s teachers. I’m happy your group had a great time. Let me offer my apologies about the number of children that were in the pool that day. Thanks again for the business and the opportunity to provide a great end of the year experience. Enjoy your summer, and we hope to see you next year!
Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was very accommodating to us by letting us check in early after a very long train ride from New Orleans! The hotel is beautiful and the staff is super friendly! From the front desk to the valet parking and the bell staff! A great experience and we will return here when we are in the area! The room was very large and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable which made for a very restful night. Great location, convenient to freeways.

Room Tip: Our room was away from the elevator and vending machines which made it very quiet. Higher floors are...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lonerider123

That is a very long train ride from New Orleans. I have traveled by train across the Mid-West and Deep South. (The City of New Orleans from Chicago) Trains are great but they can wear you out. Thanks for staying with us. I read these out loud to the staff and we really appreciate the recognition. We hope you stay with us again on your next adventure.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#73 of 279 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!