“Had a great stay, terrific staff and facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Diego Marriott Del Mar

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #89 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Had a great stay, terrific staff and facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Were here for the Surf Cup with 14 year old girls. Everyone at the hotel was very accomodating to the girls and their families. The staff could not have been better and the hotel restaurant, bar and pool are great. I would hight recommend this hotel for groups and families.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear DomerDad,

I hope you had a very successful tournament. I used to travel with my girls for sports; I know how important a good hotel is for the spirit of the competition. I am glad the family had a great time. See you next year for Surf Cup 2015!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here with a family group of 9. One the the best hotels I have stayed in. Great pools/ Excellent service. Quite. Shuttle service to beach, some 20 mins away.
This hotel is what a 5 star should be.
Don't bother with having the sit down breakfast go have it at the coffee corner, where you eat what you bought and not over indulge. Great views. Seating is limited to about 2/4 to table.
Highly recommend this hotel.
Would recommend you hire a car.
Note they tend to be VERY punctual about shuttle bookings etc 5 mins late and you have missed it (they will re-arrange but can be trying ).

Room Tip: 2 twins in room will be more than suitable for 2 adults + 2 children.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear 5Starholiday,
We love being called a 5 star hotel. The staff clapped and cheered when I read your review to the morning stand up meeting. I also passed along the thought of being a little more flexible on the timing of the shuttle. Something for us to be more conscience of when picking guest back up. You mentioned the great view of the Torrey Pine Bluffs. I love this view in the evening when the sunset reflects off of the dirt cliffs. Bring your camera next time for a spectacular photo moment.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent the weekend here with friends. This is a nice family and business hotel. It is located close to the I5 and about ½ hour from downtown San Diego and 15 minutes to Mission Bay or La Jolla. Valet and self parking are available.

The hotel is very neat, clean and well appointed. The lobby area is inviting and has comfortable seating areas. There’s even a bookshelf filled with books just for children. The grill/bar is large and has a decent, menu and weekend brunch. There’s also an outside patio area with comfy furniture groupings and heaters. Our room was very clean, comfortable, and quiet. The furnishings and carpet appeared to be recently updated.

The hotel was sold out due to a children’s soccer tournament. While everyone was very busy, the front desk, staff and housekeeping were always friendly and efficient. Our room was missing a hairdryer and within 5 minutes of calling the front desk, housekeeping delivered a new hairdryer. I also learned the hotel will provide forgotten items such as toothpaste to tide you over.

Overall, we all enjoyed our stay and would stay here again, especially since the rates are far less than downtown hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 1Travel Monkey,

I love the Handle! It’s a very creative name for your survey handle. I am delighted you picked up on the books for children. We really try and cater to the families that travel with their children; for business or leisure. Did you have a chance to have one of our S’mores poolside? They are a big hit with kids of all ages. I appreciate the comments. Since we are north of the Downtown are but close to so many of the attraction in the surrounding area, it is very convenient. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you soon……Love the Handle!
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel based on local coworker recommendations. Nice location for access... but in the middle of suburbia and they charge $20/day to park?!?! WiFi was also a charge item. When the room was as high priced as it was, these extra daily charges are excessive. Room was clean and average, nothing stunning. Nice pool deck for hanging out, but expensive all around. Not interested in returning except for the location was key to my business needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We monitor our pricing and strive to provide the best value for our guests. We are please you enjoyed the pool and lounge area. Thank you for allowing us to host you.
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Del Mar for 4 nights and 5 days. The people are what make the difference. I'm not sure how Marriot got their brand down to their employees but they really believe in customer service. The front desk and the car valet people were calling me by my name which is very special-- I thought I was staying at the Ritz Carlton, not a Marriott.

We wanted to play tennis and the front desk people found a place for us to play tennis, made reservations and printed directions. They couldn't have been nicer.

The car valet person on Tuesday night was so helpful and friendly with a restaurant recommendation and directions--so helpful.

The "frosting on the cake" was Ken. I had checked out of my room and had to wait for my ride back to Los Angeles for 3 hours. I sat in the restuarant. Ken didn't hassle me to leave but made sure I had something to drink and eat. I even spilled my drink and made a huge mess. He couldn't have been nicer and more helpful.

This is the highest level of service for the money I have ever received staying at a Marriott and I have stayed at many.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gene O
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Gene,

We are delighted to hear about the high level of service our Hosts provided during your stay, Thank you for your kind words of recognition, We were wondering if you have any feedback for improvement since you rated your overall stay as only one star. Than you for choosing the Del Mar Marriott.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Pleasant enough hotel, good sized rooms, quick in room services. Bar restaurant a little lifeless. Was annoying to pay for parking when there are some many free parking spots close by- next time will use them...plus $12 or so a day for wi fi in room- why?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Matt H
Brian F, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for the survey. We take the opinions and comments from guest seriously. We continuously look at our pricing and work to provide the best service for the price paid. I was pleased to read about our Associates and the effort they put forth each day. Again, thank you for the survey and we hope you will chose us again on your next visit to Del Mar.
Seal Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

From the moment you walk in and are greeted (maybe even by the GM Brian) to the amazingly warm and friendly guest staff everywhere (inside and out), you know you're "at home" in this Marriott -- for as long as you want to be! And when you couple this ambience with the AMAZING cuisine of this Marriott's restaurant "Arterra", you may find yourself wanting not only to capitalize on its wonderful breakfasts (don't miss its homemade hash), but wanting to return and nest back here in the evenings. So far i've loved their Diver Scallops with Bacon Brussel Sprouts as well as their Pork Loin with Cheddar Grits and Poblano Puree (both to die for). Bottom-line, nothing says hospitality like the San Diego Marriott Del Mar! : ))

Room Tip: Look over the front of the hotel for more garden and less freeway view as this hotel is back away fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Donna,

I am so glad you had a great stay with us. The associates at Arterra are going to miss both of you. Thank you very much for the weekend. I hope you enjoyed all that Del Mar offers. I enjoyed our delightful discussion on horses. On your next visit, reach out to us prior to arrival and let us know you are on the way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#74 of 279 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!