“Busy at 9pm and deservedly so”
Review of Bankers Hill

Bankers Hill
Reserve with OpenTable
Bankers Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #358 of 4,765 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Italian, International, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Palm Beach, Florida
“Busy at 9pm and deservedly so”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our Jet Blue flight from New York arrived at 7:45pm and by 9pm we were at Bankers Hill enjoying a great casual dinner.

I had deviled eggs then hanger steak. Each of our friends had something else. Terrific. I can't think of a nicer way to arrive in San Diego.....that Jet Blue doesn't serve "real food" is a good thing. We were ready for dinner when we arrived.

Funny, we didn't realize this is owned by the same fellow who owns our other favorite here, The Market.

By the way, there is more than enough choice for the gluten intolerant and they are careful about this.

One last thing, the bartender last night was particularly stingy with the red wine. Our friend mentioned it to the waiter and he brought a second glass "on him". Maybe it was a one time thing. Maybe not.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank doug100worth

San Diego
“It was fantastic”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My daughter just moved to the Bankers Hill area so we met her for dinner at this restaurant on a friend's recommendation. They told me it was really good but I think they understated how good it really is. We are pretty picky but everything was great except for maybe part of the restaurant being too dark. At this restaurant I would definitely ask. Y server about the dishes as the menu can't really describe them. We had great Kentucky Mules to start ( which weren't on the species drink menu) and they we're outstanding. Made with their own ginger brew we sucked theme down. The appetizer of tuna tartare stack was interesting as it was served in a light jalapeño cream with BBQ pita chips. An ice combination.
We tried three different entrees each of which was very tasty. We had the BBQ pork tacos, snapper and wild boar meatballs. The portions we're large and served very attractively. All of them tasted delicious. For dessert they surprised us with a free dessert of butterscotch pudding and homemade shortbread cookies to celebrate our daughter getting her own place. It was a nice touch. Service was very attentive but at times the staff was a little OCD about cleaning up after a course. I'd caution a little patience until all diners are finished eating.
Not cheap but worth it

Visited August 2014
Ventura, California
“Great fresh and seasonal food”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Always innovative, fresh, and delicious. Good wine list and interesting cocktails. They keep about 20% of their tables open for walk-ins. We had wild boar meat balls served on a bed of polenta with fresh corn kernels, steamed spinach, and baby squash, topped with chunky tomato sauce. Wow!

Visited July 2014
nj
“Great meal, cool vibe!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We visited for dinner with our 2 kids (teen and tween) and had a great meal--lots of interesting options (especially the apricot bruschetta!)--including a vegetarian pasta dish that looked like the ingredients had literally just been picked straight from the farm! Desserts were fantastic--had to hold ourselves back from not ordering one of each!

• Visited July 2014
San Diego, California
“Great Food!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I met a friend here after work on a Wednesday evening. We chose inside although the outside patio looked very inviting too! My dinner was wonderful -- I chose the tortellini special. The service was great. We brought our own bottle of wine -- corkage was $15 -- a bargain! When we left, the place was nearly full which surprised me for a Wednesday. I would definitely come back!

Visited July 2014