“Great hotel and staff”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #76 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel and were treated well. It is located in a beautiful area and within walking distance to many attractions and restaurants.The rooms are clean and fairly roomy. We asked and received a refrig and microwave free of charge upon request at check in. The swimming pool is well kept. There is a parking garage which cost $12 daily. They have a shuttle from 5am to 10pm for transportation to and from the airport. Also they will shuttle you locally if not too busy and a shuttle goes to the zoo daily at 10am and they pick you back up at 4pm.The free breakfast is plentiful. They offer hot food along with muffins, pasteries, bagels, waffles, fresh fruit etc. I can't say enough about the friendly staff from the front desk to the staff cleaning the rooms. We needed to check in early and the front desk went above and beyond to accommidate us. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear "Sue K", your review is like a billboard advertising our great services and amenities, I love it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us after your stay, I hope that based on your visit this time that you will become a lifetime guest of ours. Thanks for your business and for spreading the word on our property!

Miguel Rojas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I never stayed in a Hamption Inn before an had no idea what to expect. The reason I selected it
was that the staff was able to answer the question before I booked that they were near a trolley stop since we did not intend to rent a car during our stay.

I found the noise of the trolly/trains that runs behind the hotel very minor. There was a white noise machine in the room, but it was never needed.

The place is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. I dropped a black t-shirt behind the toilet tank and when I picked it up there was not a drop of dust or powder on it, this was on
our 4th day into the stay.

Breakfast is fine, the coffee is of good quality and there was a something for everyone in the selection, eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, in addition to the usual cereal and muffins.

The staff is very helpful, there is a shuttle bus that is available for airport pickups, with a
regular schedule for the Zoo and Balboa Park, two of the main attractions.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms may have less train noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear "vee b", I am glad that we were the first Hampton Inn that you ever stayed at and that we made the proper Hampton Inn impression. I hope this means that you will start looking for Hampton Inn properties when you travel!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this site and for your business and thank you as well for mentioning the cleanliness of your room, most of our room attendants have been here upwards of 6 years and some even since the hotel opened!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I have read other reviews complaining about the train noise etc but honestly we barely could hear it in our room 450. Otherwise easy access to everything and the staff was very pleasant! We were walking distance to lots of restaurants and rented a car to go to "seal beach" in la joja.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear "RedSoxFanMadis", thank you for staying with us and for contributing to this great traveler's resource. Thank you for mentioning the staff and our convenient location. I hope that next time you have an opportunity to be in the area you will consider staying with us again!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

My title pretty much sums it up.

This is an older hotel, but it's well-kept.
The rooms are pretty typical for a Hampton Inn. The bed is very comfortable, and there is a sofa/sitting area. The bathroom had a walk-in shower, and nice counter space.
The common areas are also well-kept. There is a parking garage on-site.

The location is excellent. I walked to Little Italy for dinner.
The waterfront is just across a busy street.

The staff, from the front desk, to cleaning, to the drivers, were all wonderful! They provided lots of good information, being that this was my first time in San Diego.

Also, the breakfast (included with the room price) was very good.

Now.. the downside. I noticed when I checked in, that there were earplugs on the nightstand.
The reason for them, is that there are train tracks next to the hotel. So during the day, and into the evenings.. passenger trains passed right by the hotel. The buidling would actually vibrate!
Maybe they stop running sometime during the night, or maybe I was just tired.. but I actually did sleep very well while I was there.

Room Tip: Stay on the side of the hotel away from the train tracks!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear "Carolinafellow", thank you for taking time to complete this review, but most importantly for your business. Thank you for giving kudos to the staff as this is our greatest asset and we enjoy hearing that we are doing well. Thanks also for pointing out that despite the train noise and vibrations that you had a good nights rest.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I slipped and broke my ankle in California before arriving at the Hampton Inn, San Diego, Downtown. When I arrived I was using crutches and could not bear any weight on my right leg. The hotel front desk staff was very helpful, changing our accommodations to a handicapped room for easier access and helping my daughter find a nearby pharmacy and take out restaurants. The hotel van driver was also very helpful and kind. In fact every hotel employee we came in contact with was extremely helpful, kind and compassionate. Kudos to all! The management at this property should be very proud of their employees!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear "Dorothy Z", thank you so much for letting me know how above and beyond the staff went during your stay! You are correct, we are so very proud of all the team members and your message here helps encourage us to continue our good work. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your business, I hope we can serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stay in many mid-priced hotels all around the country, this has to be one of the I have stayed at, all because of the great staff.

The hotel has a great location to the aiport, train station, and downtown and the harbor. There is a trolley stop right behind the hotel, which will get you around he city for $5 a day. Most of the downtown area's (gaslight, etc) are within a reaonsable walking distance. If you do have a car, parking is a reasonable rate (around $10?), and the garage is attached directly to the hotel for easy access to your rooms.

The thing that makes this hotel great though is the staff. They are so accomodating. Being a bit of a train buff I requested a room near the tracks, which they were all to happy to accomodate (normally the request are away from the tracks). I also needed to return a rental car to the nearby airport, and they arranged for the shuttle to pick me up at the rental car facility instead of having to shlep back to the airport.

Breakfast is pretty good, normal Hampton Inn qualtiy with waffels, fresh fruit, oatmeal, and eggs. As with the front desk, the staff is very accomodating for breakfast. The afternoon cookies are tasty also.

If you have read the reports you know that this hotel backs up to a busy set of train tracks that serves Amtrak, the regional Coaster, and the trolley. The noise from the trains isn't what is bad, it is the electronic bells attached to the crossing gates that do get noisy. The hotel does there best by providing earplugs and the rooms close to the tracks have white noise machines. If you are a light sleeper this may not be the best place to stay. The hotel is also close to the aiport, and rooms on the north side get some aiport noise.

Finally, Los Panchitos next door is an amazing little Taco restaurant.

Room Tip: Bayfront rooms will be quieter. Rooms on the North side have a view of the airport
2  Thank BMIFlyer
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear "BMIFlyer", thank you kindly for your great review after your stay here and for your business. I am so glad that above all else you valued the staff of this location, this truly makes me feel that we are on the right "track" with our service. Speaking of track, I smiled when I read your comment about us being happy to accommodate your request for a room near the railroad, unfortunately the frequency of this request is few and far between!

Thank you for mentioning on our behalf how close we are to area attractions and our amenities, such as the breakfast.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

They provided the ultimate service with a mile from the time of booking to check out. Not only a free shuttle from the airport but also to local attractions -when the driver is available. As usual a clean room and free breakfast. The noise issue from the train was minimal. Great location near the cruise ship and convention center without the high prices of other chains.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the train for a quiet room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear "Debbie C", thank you very much for your business and for taking the time to review our hotel. Thanks for making a mention of our clean accommodations, and excellent location. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can serve you again!