“Affordable Hotel Centrally Located”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #72 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great location; close to the San Diego trolley and train station, across the street from waterfront with seafood restaurants and Midway ship in vicinity. Good breakfast. Excellent value for families visiting San Diego.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear "Russell B" thank you for your kind words about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for yoru business. See you again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Good comfortable stay that included a good hot breakfast and clean room. Friendly staff as well. Nice option close to the downtown area. Would recommend to others. Parking space is a little cramped though and is not free.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Vinod V", thank you for choosing the Hampton inn San Diego Downtown for your recent visit to San Diego. Thank you also for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and convenient location, and I am sorry about the parking. I hope we have done enough though to earn your future consideration.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Breakfast was a typical selection for a Hampton Inn and was good, but the room it is served in is small and got very crowded. It was hard to get food, by the time they put it out, it was gone. My advice is to get there early to avoid the breakfast rush

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Tripadvisor Member", thank you for your business and for your comment regarding the breakfast. Our staff tries to keep up as best as possible with the food availability so as to be able to serve everyone decided to enjoy this amenity. I am sorry that during this visit we seemed to have been more impacted in the breakfast area. Should you need to come to this area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

And they stayed that way all night...

Disclaimer - I have written a number of reviews and this is (unfortunately) one of the most negative to-date.... I have attempted to be fair and impartial but a lousy night's sleep can try even the most even tempered of us :-)

We booked a room for 6 nights – but chose to upgrade our room to a ‘partial harbor view’ assuming that we would be situated towards the front of the hotel and well away from the train noise that is a common complaint for this property. I figured that if we could stand the noise from traffic & crowds in Rome, Brussels, and London, we could handle a little noise in San Diego. Well... we were wrong!

Room 635 is in the south west corner of the top floor – and does indeed have a nice corner window with a ‘partial’ view of the harbor. BUT -

The A/C in the room can’t handle the sun/heat coming through the south & west facing walls AND ceiling – even in late December. When we first entered the room at 2PM, the room was registering >95 degrees. With the A/C going full blast it had finally dropped to ~72 degrees by about 10:30 PM… but by 8:30 AM the next morning the temperature had again started moving upward - this is with the window curtains fully closed so we couldn't even enjoy the view. Who knows how hot it would have been with the curtains open. The AC was working and putting out cold air -- the walls & ceiling were simply radiating more heat than the AC could deal with.

The top floors are actually INSET from the front street… so we were actually just 100 feet or so from the train crossing gate on the street below… which starts to clang at every trolley, Coaster, or freight train that comes by. While the trains themselves might not use any horns, the clanging from the crossing gate is unbearable when it is happening every 45-60 minutes or so right through the night (and more like 15-20 minutes during the day & early evening. I used the hotel-supplied earplugs and was finally able to fall into a fitful sleep around midnight - but still able to hear the clanging right through the ear plugs.

The fire alarm then went off at 2AM – forcing us to walk the 6 floors down. In fact, we ended up exiting underground in the parking garage and had to climb back up to find our way out of the building. The fire department did NOT show up, the person at the front desk said she was new and didn’t know what to do, and she couldn’t seem to reach anyone who could give clear direction on what was happening. She stated that someone from "security" was exploring the building to find out what was wrong but they never reported back -- so after an hour of waiting, the woman at the desk said she “thought” it was a false alarm – but she couldn’t say with any certainty. All she said was “do you think I would be here if I thought the building was on fire?”. Of course she was situated twenty feet from the front door while we would be up 6 stories. We, along with approx. 20 families, finally gave up and went back upstairs – hoping that it was truly a false alarm and not a slow-burn electrical malfunction. We heard someone else state that it was not due to a prank pull of a fire alarm box but that this was at least the 3rd time that the detection system had malfunctioned -- but this could have simply been a rumor. It did make us wonder whether the fire detection system would catch a REAL fire.

Fortunately, the front desk refunded our night's stay when we went to check out 5 days early - no penalty and without a fuss. The location of the property is good -- but I just don't have a clue where those 'quiet' rooms are located in the motel... probably on floors 2-3 at the very front of the building.

Room Tip: Beware of room 635 - See the main body of my review. I suspect that many of the same issues apply t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NomDePlume00

Dear "NomDePlume00"I was made aware of the false alarm that that happened on the night of your stay and I am really sorry that you and other guests went through it. I do not expect to make you change your opinion of the safety of this facility, but I would be remiss if I did not respond with some facts:

1. The front desk staff on site was in contact with management and security about the situation and she specifically received an all clear from security guard as being a false alarm. In looking at their official reports it reads “false fire alarm, checked areas indicated by fire panel 3rd floor storage/vending no smoke or fire detected. Checked floors above and below and nothing found.”

2. We use a professional security company that is trained in all aspects of emergency training.

3. I am not sure if you were still in the lobby when our Chief Engineer came in to ensure the situation was under control, but he did come in and was here for 3 hours that evening

4. We have an agreement with an alarm company that maintains the integrity of the system and it had recently been tested and everything passed.

5. Also important for customer satisfaction, one thing that I will be addressing in our next renovation is having sheers in our rooms to help cool things down in the rooms.

Lastly, I want to thank your review and your business.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Needed only a place to sleep for one night in San Diego. Booked here due to relative proximity to where i needed to be early in the morning and based on the low rate compared to other chain hotels.

First drawback is the parking. $12 nightly parking charge is not bad for downtown San Diego but hotels in the Hotel Circle and other areas offer free parking. And, the underground parking garage had unusually tight spaces and was engineered for compact cars only. Beware if you are driving a truck, SUV or larger vehicle. Arriving around 10 pm, I somehow managed to back into one of only spaces left in the garage but it was quite a feat.

Second, as others have mentioned, the train goes very close by the property so if you plan to hang out in your room during your stay, you will definitely notice it. For me, it wasn't bad and i was only in the room for a short while.

Third, the breakfast area is fairly cramped for a Hampton Inn. It was o.k. for me, since i was in and out of there very early, but it might be crowded during 8-9 am prime breakfast time.

Finally, the hotel is not in the most attractive area. You should be able to walk to some restaurants, etc. but this is nothing like being in the heart of downtown or in the Gaslamp district, or in Old Town.

Otherwise, the hotel is fine; although my room was not very large, it was clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank traveldan21

Dear "traveldan21", as a top contributor at this site I appreciate your input into this great community. Thank you for pointing out that due to our downtown location our garage is a tight squeeze, the noise, and the high-demand breakfast area. I also want to thank you for pointing out that the front desk was efficient and friendly. We hope that we have done enough to at least earn your future consideration.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

They supply ear plugs for the trains that go right behind with in 50 ft. of the hotel and you are next to the crossing that goes across a street so you will not only hear the train but the bells when the crossing arms are down.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Rod G", thank you your business and your interest to inform the community of your stay through your review. I am sorry that despite the quiet zone designation the warning bells still need to sound and hence affect our guests from getting as restful a night sleep as possible. With your review, at least it will prompt other guests who are sensitive to noise to ask for locations as far away as possible.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We aere in town for the Holiday bowl and picked the Hampton Inn because of location and past Hampton Inn experiences. We were not disappointed. The location is on the PCH which can be busy but everything is alms within walking distance. It is an older property but well maintained.

They did charge for parking but did not gauge like other hotels. A reasonable $12.

Everything else was as expected.

Room Tip: Get a room on the East side of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear "usmc63m", Happy New Year! I am assuming that based on your domicile you are a ASU fan, and I am sorry for your team's loss. I do want to thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown as we are so conveniently located to many attractions in San Diego, whether using public transportation, driving, or walking distance. It is my hope that we will see you again in the near future.