“Quiet, clean”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #72 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great stay at this hotel. Nice rooms with a decent view and a nice pool. My son was able toplay his games free on the in room internet. Location was good too. We went to Midway to tour ship. We were also offered a ride by the hotel staff to Hooters in the Gaslamp District instead of having to pay a cab! It was very nice.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear "Charlotte B", I am so glad that you found The Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown to be so in line with your needs. Like you mentioned, we certainly provide free Wifi and a complimentary shuttle services to nearby locations provided subject to availability as we also go to the airport which is a priority. I am glad to see you enjoyed one of my personal favorite establishments. I hope we can serve you again soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Service throughout the Inn is fantastic from room cleanliness to the breakfast. Front desk folks are great. Train whistles, trollies bells and trash trucks are the only distraction at the Inn. Little Italy is close by as are several seafood places.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Tom R", thank you very much for your business and for taking the time to relate your experience about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown! I am glad you found our hotel clean and enjoyed the breakfast. I am sorry because of the noise caused by our proximity to the train lines. We hope that despite this, we have earned your repeat business should you ever be in our area.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have stayed in 100's of Hampton inns across the us. This was one of the worst based on a comparison to other similar hotels. Yes there is a train, yes there is noise but that wasn't the big deal. Building is old rooms are smaller than most other hamptons. Layout of the hotel is just goofy. Doesn't have that comforting feel like the others. If you like Hampton inn you won't like this place. If you are just looking for a place this will work ok.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear "Tcroll", I am so sorry that you felt that our hotel compares negatively to other hotels of our same chain. We pride ourselves in trying to maintain all of the chains standards and I truly believe 'that we do. I am sorry that you found our layout goofy and the rooms smaller, but unfortunately I cannot do anything to correct those two issues. I am sorry that we could not impress a senior contributor on this site such as you, however I do thank you for your business. If you are ever "just looking for a place to stay", I hope you will consider us again.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We were very worried about this hotel as we didn't read any reviews before we booked, and the whole train noise thing was a bit scary but how pleasantly surprised we were! We were 5 rooms back from the train line and while you could hear them ever so slightly while you were awake, they certainly did not disturb us at all during the night. Our room was a bit on the small side, but you get that when you are a family of five but the staff were great, the complimentary breakfast was great, it was really well priced and in a pretty good location, so how could you complain!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear "Rider1964" thanks for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, your business, and for seeing past the issues with the train line noise. I appreciate the distance you traveled to come and visit our fine city and I thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Thank you Hampton Inn San Diego Hampton Inn. I took my wife and daugher for a 4 day trip and loved the hotel. Shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us to hotel. I felt bad as I overheard a few people at the airport terminal say they had been waitng to get to their hotel for over an hour....Thank you Hampton for being quick!!! Check in was great, what a quick and seemless process. Room was spacious and clean, housekeeping was great at helping straightening out our room daily. Lobby was ultra modern and hip. Breakfast was great, fantastic breakfast hosts! Chuck & Maria , van dirviers, were fanastic, helped us get to and from airport, and seaport village. What a great location along the harbor! Again, thank you for a great trip.

Sincerly,
Sean

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear "Sean F", thank you for taking time to review the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown upon your return home after staying with us, we appreciate your input into this great travel community. You know Chuck and Maria will be really hàppy to see their names mentioned. I hope we have done enough to earn your future consideration!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We are staying in the Hampton inn san Diego, wow it's noisy, the train sirens sound every 3 minutes up to 00:30 and start again at 3:00am. The noise of the train feels like it's inside our room.
Decor is ok, compfy beds, soft sheets, ample storage space, shower is good, lighting in bathroom is great.
Breakfast was good, good variety, but on disposable plates, cups and cutlery, very strange.
It's ok for a night or 2 or you are a sound sleeper.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear "Gemski D', I am sorry that your visit with us has not been great in part due to the noise from train lines that run behind us. As a senior contributor to this site we appreciate your feedback. I am also sorry that you found our usage of disposable silverware strange, we are using the Hampton Inn Standard. Thank you for your visit, and perhaps we will see you in your next visit.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Diego. It is a great location. Staff was very friendly, helpful and courteous. The rooms were very clean with plenty of space. Breakfast was very large with many options.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear "dymullen" thank you for your business and for the great "word of mouth" advertising for the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I like that you found our staff friendly and that you would highly recommend us. We are at your disposal for your next trip to San Diego!