“Mostly great”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #75 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is definitely an older Hampton Inn, but for the most part is pretty great. I barely interacted with the staff, but when I did they were outstanding. Room was clean, a nice size (I think I had a room designated as having a "study" but that was mostly a desk and sofa next to the bed). TV worked perfectly. A/C worked great. Bathroom was meh but 100% serviceable.

Two gripes:

I guess this is going to become "a thing" now... The internet is free, but if you want the faster internet, you've got to pay for it. That sucks. I didn't want to pay the extra, so stuck with the free slower connection and it dragged a bit. Oh well.

The other issue: The back side of the hotel is close to the train tracks that run through downtown San Diego. I was in a room along the south side of the hotel, and the clanging bell noting when the gate was going down for the trains to pass was pretty annoying, and a lot of trains go by, especially in the morning. I get it, we're in a city, trains will be trains, etc., but if you're going to stay here (and this is no reason to not stay here!), ask for a room away from the back side of the property.

So basically all good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear "DKinLV', I really appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, and thank you for your good review. I want to address your concern regarding the premium access internet. I want to assure you that our bandwidth caps did not change as a consequence of the Hampton Inn Brand's decision to introduce premium access. This was solely a decision that enables users who need better speeds to get it. In other words we did not decrease the speed for the free connections to accomplish it. I also do apologize for the noisiness due to the train lines, but I am glad that you found this would not be an impediment for you to recommend against staying with us. It is my hope that we have done enough to earn your future business.

Miguel Rojas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The location was fantastic, only a few miles from the San Diego Zoo, USS Midway, Seaport Village & Gaslight District. Within walking distance to most, or the trolley is right behind the building. Though they give you ear plugs because of the trolley, trains, planes & traffic, we barely noticed them. The service was mediocre and one of the front desk attendants was snotty when we informed them of a problem. The elevators also stopped working on a very busy weekend & the stairs are not easily accessible from the main floor (in the back office area) or functional (they don't go to all floors).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear "Kelli S", I apologize for the delayed response, but reading it concerns me greatly. I would like to encourage you to contact me at your earliest convenience so that I learn more from your comments and can properly address a resolution. I can be reached at 61-652-4905. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Lovely hotel and great breakfast. Nice location and easy walking to lots of stuff. Was noisey however because the train is only a block behind the hotel. Good for traveling around beautiful San Diego, but noisey at night. They leave ear plugs on the nightstands in your room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Larry M", thank you kindly for your review on this site of the Hampton inn San Diego Downtown. I apologize for the noise level in the room caused by the train lines. I hope that the next time you are in our area you will opt to stay with us. Thank you also for your business.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Excellent value to price ratio; a good location; close to downtown, airport and a trolley stop in the same block. This trip was my 7th visit to San Diego bay area. If will have an opportunity to visit Sana Diego area in the future, this Hotel will be my first choice to ask for accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear "Kalervo H", I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown during your seventh visit! I hope you will continue to visit America's Finest City and will choose our property once again. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is nice and clean and the staff is helpful and friendly. It is location very close to the city trolley system so it is easy to get around relatively inexpressively. The bad is that it is located adjacent to the rail tracks not only for the trolley but also for the Amtrak and Coaster. The noise varies throughout the hotel and was tolerable, but might disturb light sleepers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "James F", thank you very much for your balanced review of our property and especially for your business. I am glad that you found the hotel clean and the staff helpful. We hope to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We chose to stay here again because of the location. It is close to all of the downtown attractions and the MTS. The price and cost of parking is also reasonable for being right downtown. The room was clean and beds were great. We were on the front side of the building and did not hear the train at all. The breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: Front of building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear "dnrdavies", first and foremost I want to thank you for your repeat business as as based on the review headline it appears you are a repeat guest. We at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown strive to make guests feel like home and to provide them with the best accommodations and amenities possible. It appears in your case we are successful. I hope we will continue to be your first choice when in San Diego.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We've stayed at this hotel multiple times. There is a trolley stop behind the hotel that makes it so easy to get to many of "must do's" while in the city. The harbor and tour boats are walking distance. And if you're a runner, it's a great location, running along the harbor. The airport shuttle is convenient and quick. The staff is beyond helpful and accommodating and the breakfast is full of choices!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Scott M" reading that the staff at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown is beyond helpful rings like music to my ears! I am so very glad that you are a repeat guest and there is nothing we would like more that to keep you as a continued guest when you are in San Diego. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.